Volks AutosBadger5
    Neutral

Status

Will a home oil change affect the AVS?

Ive had my 3.2 for about 6 months - and still have a year to go until the service is due!

The AVS is showing 370 days. I like working on cars myself (had VR6's before etc) and was thinking of doing a basic oil/air filter service myself.

Does the computer check the quality of the oil for the AVS - or is it measuring things like driving style/rpm etc?

I have access to VAG COM - is there anything I would need to reset after an oil change?

What oil/filter would people recommend. I normally used GSf for the VW - do they sell the correct stuff?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Boycie

Status
    No it wont - I would never wait until service to change the oil

As long as you use genuine parts and decent oil, there will not be a problem!

With vagcom, you can turn off the service light no problem!

Oil filters from vw/audi are cheap so I would just use one of theirs and the suggest oil thats in the logbook!

If you know someone with a halfords discount card, get it and go buy the oil - the savings are amazing!

Tetbury Audi Parts Man

Status
    Look for the VW507 00 spec on the oil and you cant go wrong. Oil filter part number 071115562C 5.98 INC VAT.
    A3 2.0TDI S-LINE BRILLIANT BLACK (s-line suspension,Audi sound system) coming March (fingers crossed)!

Neutral

Status
    cheers chaps.

Ill get the oil/filter done soon-ish then.

2nd Gear

Status
    I get mine serviced and stamped based on the AVS schedule - which means I have an official stamp in the service book approx every 21 months and thjat works out at under 100 per year for a dealer stamped service schedule - and then I do my own interim oil & filter change about half way between to keep the quality of the oil up, using VW 507.00 spec oil from my local motor-factors at just 18 for 5 litres.....
    2012 White A5 Coupe TFSi Black Edition
    (Was 2004 A3 2.0 TDi S-Line DSG, owned from 2005 to 2012....)

Neutral

Status
    cheers - i think id read your previous post about this - which gave me the idea. With my old VR6 I used to change the oil every 6 months - but on the new engines i think yearly is good enough - two years is mental!

One question - does the oil filter kit include the seals for the 6mm hex drain bolt? I know on the old VR I didnt bother draining - as it was easy enough to just loosen off the housing and let it all drain out.

Im not sure if the A3 had a rubber o-ring on the drain point in the filter?

Cheers