JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Lapchien66's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    27

    Rear View Mirror

    Had my 06 3.2 DSG for over a week now. Noticed tonight that I had a crappy rear view mirror - i.e. one that you have to dip yourself! My last A3, a 1.9 tdi 130 SE had an auto dipping mirror, which was great. Can the mirror be replaced? Is it a stealer job? Only ever had grief with swapping interior mirrors in the past... (btw the door mirrors do appear to be self dipping!)

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,120
    Uh the door mirrors wont be auto dipping without the rear view being because the sides wire from the rear view, you cant have one without the other, can be wired by someone with the knowledge of course & parts, if was near me I'd do it for you at a cost of course & funny cause I have the side mirror glasses that do auto dim for sale.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  4. #3
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Uh the door mirrors wont be auto dipping without the rear view being because the sides wire from the rear view, you cant have one without the other, can be wired by someone with the knowledge of course & parts, if was near me I'd do it for you at a cost of course & funny cause I have the side mirror glasses that do auto dim for sale.
    Sorry to Hijack - NHN if you have the auto-dim RVM, is the wiring already in place for the side mirrors? Or would it be a big ol' job?
    Going...Going...2005 A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI PD140 Sport - Silver, Red leather and loads of options (but no xenons )

    1999 Golf 2.0 GTI - Bright Green Pearl - Miltek, Piper X, Koni Sport Kit, 18" Audi TT v6 Alloys. Needs more power!!

  5. #4
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Telford
    Posts
    2,488
    When i bought mine I was told the auto mirror was part of a "convenience pack" that included the auto lights/wipers and the mirror. Was that just ********?
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

  6. #5
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,120
    The wiring might be in place from the external mirror down to the door moor module, then down to the internal pillar of the car, then I wired from there to the rear view mirror, this was very easy & the sides wire in parallel into 2 pins free on the rear view 6 pin connector, so need few repair wires & join up above the headlining light assembly & make sure get the wires round right way & no its not a huge job, just patients & time.

    Could very well be part of a pack, but you can wire them in anyway.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  7. #6
    mdre83's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    629
    when I wanted to change the mirror to the auto dipping one in my last A3 I was advised that the whole windscreen would have to be replaced to go ahead with the mod. Needless to say, I just left it as it was.
    A3 8P2 2.0TDI S-Line 170 SB | Brilliant Red | Full Leather | BOSE | 6 Disc Changer | None Smoking Pack | Light Interior Pack (Converted to LEDs) | Rear Parking Sensors | S3 Air Vents | S3 Mirrors - Stolen!| S3 Pedals |

  8. #7
    aythree
    Guest
    Does auto DIMMING = auto DIPPING ???

    This always confuses me.

    I've read in place that they are the same thing..... and in other places that they are different.
    i.e. auto dip moves the mirror, auto dim turns the mirror green'ish to reduce dazzling.

  9. #8
    330_2_S3's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    LONDON
    Posts
    242
    Interesting thread, would probably look to doing it myself too.

    I think I noticed this in my S3 aswell!!!!

    I thought they would come standard with the S3?!!!

    AUDI for you I guess...I suppose if the wheels weren't part of some sort of "package" you would have to pay for it!

    Most modernish BMW all come with the auto rear view mirror dip as standard!

  10. #9
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,120
    Quote Originally Posted by aythree View Post
    Does auto DIMMING = auto DIPPING ???

    This always confuses me.

    I've read in place that they are the same thing..... and in other places that they are different.
    i.e. auto dip moves the mirror, auto dim turns the mirror green'ish to reduce dazzling.
    Never heard of auto dipping cause this would requires some form of mechanics in the mirror & be tbh stupid given auto dimming achieves the same goal, basically adjusts to counter the high beams of idiots behind you.

    Auto Dimming basically darkens the mirror to a level so the beams from behind dont blind you & this is done electronically

    May require new screen but a hammer & 50 excess to auto windscreens is the best option & advise them its the auto dimming mirror fixing & take your mirror of before having done so they know what to fit & dont know the difference, lol

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  11. #10
    aythree
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Never heard of auto dipping cause this would requires some form of mechanics in the mirror & be tbh stupid given auto dimming achieves the same goal, basically adjusts to counter the high beams of idiots behind you.

    Auto Dimming basically darkens the mirror to a level so the beams from behind dont blind you & this is done electronically

    May require new screen but a hammer & 50 excess to auto windscreens is the best option & advise them its the auto dimming mirror fixing & take your mirror of before having done so they know what to fit & dont know the difference, lol
    Didn't think there was an auto DIP either.

    Why does everyone go on about auto dipping then?!?!?
    OP says........
    Quote Originally Posted by Lapchien66 View Post
    Noticed tonight that I had a crappy rear view mirror - i.e. one that you have to dip yourself! My last A3, a 1.9 tdi 130 SE had an auto dipping mirror

  12. #11
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    106
    Didn't think there was an auto DIP either.

    Why does everyone go on about auto dipping then?!?!?
    OP says........
    Perhaps because they are ignorant of the correct method? Not that I'd ever say so!!
    regards
    Dave.
    A3 2.0Tfsi D.S.G Sportback. Leather, light and rain pack, Interior light pack, bose, bluetooth, 6cd, multifunction wheel, cruise, Heated front/rear seats, Folding mirrors, rear parking sensors , ipod connection in glove box, open sky roof, dual climate, sun blinds, electric drivers seat,

  13. #12
    Tetbury Audi Parts Man

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    260
    I always set mine up a bit so you dont get dazzled but can still see clearly when you move your head up slightly. Was told to do this from day one of learning to drive so the examiner can see your checking your mirrors
    A3 2.0TDI S-LINE BRILLIANT BLACK (s-line suspension,Audi sound system) coming March (fingers crossed)!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO