S3 MPG

APL TDi

Reaction score
Hi all

My dream car atm is an S3, but I am forced to run a diesle as I do 20K+ miles a year. All my driving is motorway at about 80mph.

SOOOOOOOO I was wondering what sort of MPG could be had from a standard S3 on long runs on the motorway?

Anywhere near the 40mpg claimed?

Thought combined was 32mpg? My DIS tells me I am doing 25mpg, however my mileage is predominantly local trips.

My average MPG (mixed driving styles) is around 25/26. If I do a long steady motorway run I get about 29/30 MPG.

when i go on the motorway i get about 34mpg. round town and short trips its about 20-25mpg.

The average goodness youll get on a motorway will be around 30mpg.

Round town 17-23mpg

40mpg? Not in a million years

It was 40mpg extra urban and around 30 combined. Looks more like 30 extra urban and 20 combined!

I shal crunch some numbers....

On every car I've had (other than my diesel Golfs) the combined figure has been almost exactly the same as my max ever achieved. So I usually work on that basis when picking a new car.

20k miles on my first set of tyres and i havnt held back. Will be due for some more in around 2k though.

my average over the last 10 k is 29mpg but thats alot of short runs, on motorway journeys 34mpg is achievable, also on constant 40-60 miles per hour stuff ive seen close to 40mpg.

I get 13-18 around London and 30-33 on motorway. My average since getting the car (1300 miles) is about 29.

my average over the last 10 k is 29mpg but thats alot of short runs, on motorway journeys 34mpg is achievable, also on constant 40-60 miles per hour stuff ive seen close to 40mpg.

Lets stick to realworld driving averages here, rather than "one time, at band camp, i drove at 50mph, tailing a wagon, for 30miles, and nearly got 40mpg" :rolleyes:

easily 30mpg when on the highway, town(london) driving really depends on traffic. I've seen anywhere from 15 to 25.

when i go on the motorway i get about 34mpg. round town and short trips its about 20-25mpg.

for me also:blackrs4:

Lets stick to realworld driving averages here, rather than "one time, at band camp, i drove at 50mph, tailing a wagon, for 30miles, and nearly got 40mpg" :rolleyes:

im sure i said that first:wtf:, or should we just put "29mpg average" the end.:eiertritt: anyhow back on topic.....

This was on a 34 mile (there and back) journey, granted I was driving with a very light foot!
3462443542_cdd03f1bb7.jpg

For a 350bhp motor I'm not complaining!

Like Neutral rolling down a hill? LoL

I do circa 18000 miles a year and my DIS reads 26.8mpg average if that helps. Most of my driving as Motorway orientated. MPG obviously relates to how aggressive you drive, unfortunately as I am finding its difficult to drive conservatively in an S3 as they are so much fun. I drive at around the speed limit on the motorway and can get about 31-32Mpg on a good run.

I can say that as a mile cruncher I find it very comfortable and easy to drive so would reccommend it 100% to you

Hope that helps!

Olly

I do circa 18000 miles a year and my DIS reads 26.8mpg average if that helps. Most of my driving as Motorway orientated. MPG obviously relates to how aggressive you drive, unfortunately as I am finding its difficult to drive conservatively in an S3 as they are so much fun. I drive at around the speed limit on the motorway and can get about 31-32Mpg on a good run.

I can say that as a mile cruncher I find it very comfortable and easy to drive so would reccommend it 100% to you

Hope that helps!

Olly

Thanks, that is a real help actually. It does seem to be that if im realistic, i wont be able to afford to run one. I was hoping to see around 35mpg, but it seems 25mpg is more realistic, which would be a :eiertritt:

I am considering a 170tdi quattro S Line now. As well as the new A4 S Line:drool:

My combinded is 23mpg, but 90% of that is town driving.

Like Neutral rolling down a hill? LoL

LOL. That was a round trip. Don't get me wrong, it's not like that every day, but recently, I've been trying to see what the best I can get out of it. So far I've been impressed! On a normal drive I get about 30MPG but over the 4K on the clock it's averages 25MPG..... I do have a heavy right foot the majority of the time!

I average 31 mpg in everyday driving in my S3. Drive it a bit harder and it's between 27mpg and 29mpg. I only get less than that driving stop-start through town, or when I really push on the lound pedal for a lengthy period... considering the performance, I think the fuel economy for the S3 is excellent :yes:

i dont think if you get an S3 you will be concentrating on the MPG read out too much and worrying.

far

too

much

fun