tyre arches s3 lookalike

S_3_2006

Reaction score
Hello everyone, kinda new here.

Was wondering whether someone could help me out. I have an audi s3 lookalike which I bought last year, the car was fully modified so I really never had to add/remove anything. Recently I’ve changed the tyres (although the new tyres are exactly the same size 225/35/19) I’ve notice how the tyres hit against the tyre arches whilst going over something as minute as a pebble. I’ve just discovered that the previous owner had 4mm machined off the seating face of the tyres that were originally on the car, the garage I took my car to said that was impossible and recommended that I raise my car instead.. which I don’t wana do.
Can someone please help me out here. Can someone recommend a good garage I can take my car to?

Mate, whatever you do - Don't machine your tyres!!!

It's quite common for rubbing to occur on a fixing screw in the arch.
I believe this is easily removed.

Change the alloys for the same style just 18" instead?

I bet the previous owner didnt have anything cut off the tyres, they arches have done that over a period of time!

Sounds like the alloys (likely replicas) are too low an offset.

I bet the previous owner didnt have anything cut off the tyres, they arches have done that over a period of time!

Sounds like the alloys (likely replicas) are too low an offset.

the alloys are RS4 reps

couldnt you get 215/35/19 they would bring in the wall of the tire even more and may avoid rubbing all together but you would have the streched tire look wich isnt bad why dont you get a tire place to fit one and see what you think ....

shaved of the tyres, are you for real, apart from highly dangerous I'd say highly stupid, but has it got spacers fitted & check as already mentioned the ofset of wheels cause think you've got to wide man, go for think mine are 45 ofset which sit very nicely in the arches, with eibach springs & uprated shocks, of course 18's but still good enough look, when I clean the car that is, lol

mine are rs4 reps 45 offset 8.5 wide on h&rs with no rubbing as of yet they got to settle though , then maybe its removal of the clip at the top of the arch , i think nhn may be right there maybe spacers on if not try are 215 tire

shaved of the tyres, are you for real, apart from highly dangerous I'd say highly stupid, but has it got spacers fitted & check as already mentioned the ofset of wheels cause think you've got to wide man, go for think mine are 45 ofset which sit very nicely in the arches, with eibach springs & uprated shocks, of course 18's but still good enough look, when I clean the car that is, lol

offset is 49mm.

mine are rs4 reps 45 offset 8.5 wide on h&rs with no rubbing as of yet they got to settle though , then maybe its removal of the clip at the top of the arch , i think nhn may be right there maybe spacers on if not try are 215 tire
Blazin, i dont know much about the clips and.. well most of the mechanics of what’s wrong with the car. can you suggest a good place i can take my car to get sorted [in london].. and please no cowboy garages.

i have the rs6 reps n the et is 45 so your 49 should sit cleaner and have virtually no rubbing issues, have you checked whether the previous owner fitted spacers, what alloys are they? does it say on the back on alloys et49?

if you look underneath the wheel arch you will see a few screws, there is one screw is causes the rubbing issue, if you just take it out hopefully, all will be gone, dont worry about the screw not being there as there are loads more holding the panel on, if you are worried then im sure you will be able to modify it some how to create a flush fitting, post some pics of ur car up please mate! would like to see!

i have the rs6 reps n the et is 45 so your 49 should sit cleaner and have virtually no rubbing issues, have you checked whether the previous owner fitted spacers, what alloys are they? does it say on the back on alloys et49?

if you look underneath the wheel arch you will see a few screws, there is one screw is causes the rubbing issue, if you just take it out hopefully, all will be gone, dont worry about the screw not being there as there are loads more holding the panel on, if you are worried then im sure you will be able to modify it some how to create a flush fitting, post some pics of ur car up please mate! would like to see!
i still dont have the option to attach pics.. maybe due to less posts.

also the rubbing only occurs when i drive over a ramp or have someone sitting in the back, i'll have a look at the arches this evening.

Click the button with a yellow background with 2 mountains in it and then paste the link to your pic to attch the pic.

couldnt you get 215/35/19 they would bring in the wall of the tire even more and may avoid rubbing all together but you would have the streched tire look wich isnt bad why dont you get a tire place to fit one and see what you think ....

i think im going to give 215 a go and see whether the rubbing stops.

Can we see some pics then maybe help further?

I havnt read all teh replies so someone may have suggested it but could you go with thinner tyres 215 to stretch them a little?

Although 225 is really as thin as you want to go I would have thought...

If you were feeling like taking a trip down to the south east mate I'd have a look at it for you, jack up check things, but just add some images with the yellow mountain box above the text box you type into, if using IE 8 remember it has a script warning so need to click on the bar at top when it warns to allow the script so you can then add the url/site address where the image is stored, use photobucket or similar site to store your photo then you can get the address of the image of there to insert here.

Ive heard some things before but NEVER have I heard of machining off bits of tyre!!!!!!!!!! That to me is HIGHLY dangerous by weakening the sidewall. Or have you explained it wrong and do you mean machining down the ALLOY WHEEL????

Sounds maybe like the alloy hub end has been lathed down slightly tbh mate, never as you Mikey ever heard of a tyre being shaved down, for start MOT would fail it immediately for this & the tyre would blow very easily especially on low profiles

If you were feeling like taking a trip down to the south east mate I'd have a look at it for you, jack up check things, but just add some images with the yellow mountain box above the text box you type into, if using IE 8 remember it has a script warning so need to click on the bar at top when it warns to allow the script so you can then add the url/site address where the image is stored, use photobucket or similar site to store your photo then you can get the address of the image of there to insert here.

NHN, iv just uploaded some pics, dont know whether ul be able to suggest anything.

that does look nice n low :p

i would suggest that maybe the screw removal is not enough.

I would think you may have to take the arch liner out to give you the clearance you need. It is a very easy job, just a few torque screws and of it pops :)

Those rims look very wide!
Can't see different tyres making much difference there mate...

For me, I'd get new rims (Cheaper than tyres) or raise the coils 10mm....

no wonder it's catching, your running spacers. Remove them or fit smaller ones. Simple.

Feck me Mikey you're eyesite must be xray, what you seeing I'm not cause I cant definitively make out spacers, lol, but yeah if running spacers & a wide ofset this just wont work as I did same while back when got car originally.

Just because of his offset and width of the wheels they wouldnt come out that far would they so he got to have spacers ???? i dont know though mine come out that far and any lower and it would rub and i dont have spacers so it could just be to low

Depends on what they are really, you stick some oem B7 RS4 19's on there as such then yes it would be like that cause they're so damn wide, I cant see spacers but then again the images arent exactly at the angle to see the lines between the hub & spacer & wheel

you can focus in more on that pic and im not sure if it is the hub or a spacer i think it maybe just the hub have a look

the hub is a much lighter shader. Only one way to find out and wait for the owner to tell us!! Looks identical to my spacer tho.

****** hard work all this eh .... its gettin a bit painfull lol

well spotted i still cant make it out properly ..... so if he removes them it should be fine im not gona bother with spacers because mine will rub to......

Depends what size spacers he's running, but to me they look like 10's. Might get away with 5's. Best to experiment with different sizes.