Longest stint behind the wheel

edition

Reaction score
Hi,

Whats the longest you guys have sat behind the wheel on a journey?

Got a 10 hr journey in June and wondering if i'm going to be destroyed when I get out the other end!

Bar the fuel costs i'm hoping guessing it should be ok!
Cheers

Wouldn't fancy it myself - Not in an A3.

I find the seats in the S-Line / Sport to be quite uncomfortable on a 1hr trip - never mind 10hrs!!!

I've done 10 hours in the A3 and found it fine. Obviously had to stop for a **** now and again. Bit of back twinge but I would get that in any car.

In fact, one of the things I really like about the A3 is it's long-distance capability. On the way back from Berlin on Easter weekend I had clear autobahn nearly all the way and did 400+ miles in under 5 hours :hi:

Yeah I presume the car will need more fuel fill ups than I will need ****** :)

The 3.2 can be driven nice and lazy anyway i.e no need to change gear alot. so that should help.

i done a six hour trip and its ok in my sline the bumping around on the roads keeps you awake and if you hit 130 now and again its fun however i do recomend a fooooook off flask of coffee and bottle of lucozade.... and get out every like 4 service for a pee and a strech..

I missed my ferry from Hook of Holland last year so ended up driving to Calais and catching a ferry there instead. 900Kms of driving and it took 13 hours (incl ferry crossing and waiting) and I needed a massage by the time I got home!!

i drove to belguim and back on the same day! only rested when we were in the tunnel and for food/petrol. but i did start to feel tired afterwards, found the seats not to bad in the A3 i had.

Oxford to Aberdeen in a day, then Edinburgh to London in a day shortly afterwards. Obviously stopped off for lunch & petrol breaks part-way through, but still a pretty long session.

This was in a Mini Cooper S (current shape), which is better than you'd think at long-distance crusing. Am hoping the A3 will be even better.

Hamburg to Salisbury (Wilts, not Rhodesia) via the tunnel last week. Very comfortable overall - much better than it would have been in my Opel company car. And averaged 31.4 mpg!

Woah - you guys drive alot.

I done Manchester to London and back and that was around 6hours or so...

Was comfy but wish the A3 had a better stereo as standard - i fitted one now anyways so looking forward to my next long drive!

:p

Jena in East Germany to Calais in one stint - 15 hours.
Derestricted autobahns for much of the way though.

I needed a massage by the time I got home!!

Had one this morning, man it was soooo good, she was fit aswell & no it wasnt a seedy bedsit, pity she's my osteopaths wife, lol.

I did the Vegas to Frisco run which was about 10 hours once, regularly did the UK north to south trips on a daily basis sometimes, can be tiresome but breaks every 2-3 hours & leg stretches help alot, but all depends on traffic & manual or auto box really, but not a problem usually 10 hours.

In an A3??

hahaha funny,,, love the dry humour and nhn i just couldn't handle getting a massage with out getting a rocko and wanting to pipe it....Ive never understood it i may have caveman instincts

6 laps of the 'ring in the morning, then Germany, Holland, Belgium, France (I think that was the order), Euro Tunnel back to the UK mid evening, then full length of the UK to north of Aberdeen in 21 hours.
2 drivers mind...but tiring.

Always want to be one better huh Mr Mod, lol

****** hell, all in one sitting, lol, 21 hours even with 2 drivers is a fair whack, which car was that if I may ask.

nhn what have you done your gonna get a warning lol :scared2: ......joking

Always want to be one better huh Mr Mod, lol

Yawn...
Simple answer to a simple question.

****** hell, all in one sitting, lol, 21 hours even with 2 drivers is a fair whack, which car was that if I may ask.

Yeah, one stint...some breaks mind...and lots of cans of Red Bull.
It was in the 911.

Basically, the 'ring laps were alternate between drivers, then the rest was 1 driver fills up with fuel whilst the other gets comfy...he drives until it's empty (250 miles or so) and repeat.

I think half the battle is getting your head round the journey. Once you get in the mindset to do it and get comfy...you are fine.

Hit a Hare about 50 miles from home too...just as it was getting light, it ran out and I was too tired to react quick enough.
That was a £2000 inconvenience.

Longest one shot would have to be during my trip to Edinburgh from London. Fueled up in central London and didnt get out of the car until I reached somewhere near Edinburgh. Had some red-bull and mints onboard to help with the highway boredom.

Bladder capacity and fuel tank size was the limiting factor iirc.

This was done with a S3 with bucket seats, and adhering to the speed limit at all times.

Cant say it was the most enjoyable experience.

bet is was good in a 911 though and lol to the redbull .... i used coffee and lucozade forgot about redbull ....

bet is was good in a 911 though and lol to the redbull .... i used coffee and lucozade forgot about redbull ....

Yeah, it was fine...
We managed to use the cruise set to 165 at times too :eyebrows:

The Red Bull fits in the cup holder, which sits in front of the vent (as it does on an 8L) so you can keep it cool using the air-con...which is nice.

b i used coffee and lucozade forgot about redbull ....

I like cola or redbull for drives like these because they are sweet. Most of my long drives are done alone.

Coffee + many hours of shut mouth = bad breath :puke2:

Dont ask how that conclusion came about.

I like cola or redbull for drives like these because they are sweet. Most of my long drives are done alone.

Coffee + many hours of shut mouth = bad breath :puke2:

Dont ask how that conclusion came about.

probably from my post mine ended up like dogsh*t hahahaha :scared2:

Yeah, it was fine...
We managed to use the cruise set to 165 at times too :eyebrows:

The Red Bull fits in the cup holder, which sits in front of the vent (as it does on an 8L) so you can keep it cool using the air-con...which is nice.

so thats your 911 in the pic ??? Nice i love porshes il probably never own one but ive always loved em there was a yank film years ago about boosting porshes for ringing i used to love that film some of the old 911 were lovely out the film ...

I missed my flight back from the south of France once, I had hired a car to try to get to the airport in time, but no luck. Decided to drive back, and wound up taking some mountain pass for the first stint. My mate was baiting me about driving like a girl, so I stepped up the bends a bit, and her face soon changed, and she was begging me to slow down.

All in I think it was 24 or 28 hours till I dropped the car off in London, and as I had only had four hours sleep before, I even let her drive, for about 2 or 3 hours while I slept. As I woke up I heard a crunching gear changed, and simply said "pull over"

Slept again on the train to Dover, but all in, was a pretty long drive, but what a great road trip.

Wasnt everyone warned about this malarky of argueing and straying off topic i got a right grilling ..come lads back on target.... lol

830 miles to BBS is a fair one, around 15hrs with the channel tunnel as break.

In a A6 TDI about two tank fulls each way.

thats a mission id of blacked out lol 140 miles killed me hahahaha