AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport

Thread: New Wheels...

Low life livin' the high life.

Status

New Wheels...

Alright chaps...

I recently bought some 19" BBS CK's in anthracite to spice the car up a bit for the summer while i've still got it (big thanks to Philip at PW...Top man to deal with and very helpful).
    I've had the new wheels on for over a week now and i must say on standard suspension the ride quality is better than the stock 18's with conti's (less road noise, better shock absorbsion, better cornering etc). I had Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics fitted....As i know a lot of you are very happy with them. Really a great tyre so far.

So anyway i thought i better get some pictures up. The car is not lowered at all yet. It will be lowered by approx 10mm in the coming weeks.
    To be honest, i think the car gets away without lowering (just). Maybe it's the colour of the wheels that knock them back a bit and the offset/width being just right....Take a look:

Note : The wheel arch clearance in the picture below isn't accurate. The car was stood on uneven ground so the back wheel is sat maybe 15-20mm higher than it does on level ground (i couldn't be bothered to move it again, sorry!).

Better picture of the car on level ground so you can judge how standard springs sit with 19's (i know people are always asking about this) :

And a back wheel close up for good measure:

So there you have it. Must say i'm well happy with the wheels after a week of driving, the car gets a lot of attention which it never really used to before. In dull weather the wheels and car are pretty much the same colour. Looks very stealthy in a 'grey primer' way.
    As i say, the car's being lowered 10mm so it'll sit just right. I'll be sure to whack up some more photos when it's done.

Cheers for looking fellas!

Paul.
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

For Sale:

S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah I like it. From the photos it looks like it needs lowering more like 30mm... you might be right though and 10mm could make all the difference

What suspension are you going for?
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Yeah I like it. From the photos it looks like it needs lowering more like 30mm... you might be right though and 10mm could make all the difference

What suspension are you going for?

I should take a snap of it on level ground so you can get a better idea really. On that second pic the rear wheel is way up because of a dip in the drive (it's like a mud track!)...But the front offside wheel is accurate

I'm just going for the Eibach Pro Kit. I believe MattAndrew on here has the exact same set up and his sits just right for my taste.
    I recon if i was going any more than a 15-20mm drop i'd be looking at changing the whole set up (not an option lol).

Granted though, as it stands it's too high but 10mm should make a difference without effecting the ride too much.

Cheers buddy.

For Sale:

Status
    Just to compare and contrast, this is mattandrews car with the same wheels and springs as mine will eventually have. I think it sits just nice: (hope you don't mind me stealing your pics matt!)

For Sale:

6th Gear

Status
    Blimey, in those pics, you cant tell the difference between AVUS and Akoya silvers.
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

Boycie

Status
    Lovely wheels! Good work but certainly needs lowered a good bit!!

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah mattandrews looks about right so yours will look spot on once its had the same treatment!
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

2nd Gear

Status
    I prefer the CH's to CK, but i think they look nicer than stock, good call on the lowering btw , its riding like a funny car atm

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PNH80 View Post
    I'm just going for the Eibach Pro Kit. I believe MattAndrew on here has the exact same set up and his sits just right for my taste.
    I recon if i was going any more than a 15-20mm drop i'd be looking at changing the whole set up (not an option lol).

Granted though, as it stands it's too high but 10mm should make a difference without effecting the ride too much.

Cheers buddy.
    Yes i have the Pro kit

Just to compare and contrast, this is mattandrews car with the same wheels and springs as mine will eventually have. I think it sits just nice: (hope you don't mind me stealing your pics matt!)

Don't mind at all mate. Welcome to the club. I used the audi wheel bolt covers to finish the wheels off, i used the dremel to make a few splits in the ones for the locking bolts and they look spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_R View Post
    Blimey, in those pics, you cant tell the difference between AVUS and Akoya silvers.
    Its very hard to tell the difference in pics but in the flesh they look totaally different. Have to have a meet somewhere and take some pics seen as your not to far away been nr Vegas side by side in the same light.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Yeah mattandrews looks about right so yours will look spot on once its had the same treatment!
    Thanks for comments, i may eventually get coilovers but for the time being its fine for me
    Previous
    S
    Ibis White - 2007

Current
    A5 Ibis White - 2007
    S3 Black - 2001

VCDS user

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    I must say on standard suspension the ride quality is better than the stock 18's with conti's
    Its finally nice to hear someone else say that, if you invested in coilovers, you would notice even more of a difference! These wheels are getting rinsed out of this forum now . It'll look much nicer once lowered.

To be honest, i think the car gets away without lowering (just).
    Really? Must be something wrong with my eyes

Akoya has more purple in it, as demonstrated in Matt's pic.

Makinen...ha

Status
    looks great buddy, have you thought about using some anthracite coloured vinyl to do the front grill? Somethin that i just thought of, a little bit darker than the colour of the car but not black, might be worth a photoshop to see what its like?

Definitely lower it, will look so much better.

Tom

Audi A3 2.0TDI

Status
    OH God they are sick dude!

I was just thinking on them for my car, my doubt is 18'' vs 19''.

I live in Lisboa, Portugal, our streets are very bad, i have Eibach Springs.

And 19'' vs 18'' is a bigger diference on prices because of wheels and legalization of the documents (i have only 17')

But damm they are so sick.

6th Gear

Status
    my akoya...

as said, its different in the flesh
    Last edited by Khufu; 24th April 2009 at 22:00.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport