AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    6th Gear

Status

Thumbs up Statller/GIAC Review

I made a return visit to Statller to have the new S3 remapped a couple of weeks ago and just 1 week into ownership.

I made the usual enquiries of various tuners and read many of the posts on the Forums but having been extremely happy back in 2007 when my first S3 was given the GIAC Hammer map so I gave Junior a call at Statllers and booked the car in.

I have said it before and will say it again Statller get my buisiness due to customer service and their combined extensive knowledge, the fact that they offer GIAC is a big factor and the fact that the products have now been more extensively tested on numerous cars than when I first took the plunge in 2007.

Junior has a knack of putting you instantly at ease so you can feel free to air your concerns or ask some pretty daft questions !

My car was exactly 7 days old and had done just 400 miles when I arrived at Sheffield, in its standard form I immediatley felt that IMO there was some excitement lacking from a performance perspective and in real terms the car actually felt a great deal less responsive than the BMW 130i I had just sold, this was not good news as one never likes to take a step backwards in performance.

Even after the numerous cars I have had remapped I still had the usual pangs of anxiety on the morning of the remap but trusted my instincts and memories of the previous S3 and took the plunge.

I was welcomed with a brew and some friendly banter from both Steve and the other staff and the car's ECU was read and sent off with the new map being loaded within a couple of hours of arrival, I was also encouraged to have an EVOM's induction kit fitted with the promise if I didn't like it I could return it when the HPFP and Miltek become available for the next stage of tune.

We took the car for a test drive with Steve jnr at the wheel and after a warming period he gave the car some beans and I have to say the difference was instantly noticeable with the car pulling hard and well right through the rev range, my S3 had just become a proper performance car

I make no claims for any specific power output but can say the car is now comfortably quicker than the 130i and feels a healthy 300+ bhp, I'm less concerned with outright max power and more so with improved driveability, power comes on very strong from @ 2,500 rpm and doesn't let up until the new heightened rev limiter, it is now a very addictive driving experience but having said that the car is still happy to perform the mundane family duties of the daily commute etc and be driven sensibly when required.

I decided to live with the car, get a few more miles on and more importantly do a track day before posting a review.

The S3 has now done 1300 miles, had H&R front and rear ARB's fitted and had popped it's track cherry on saturday at Bedford Circuit.

I had the option of making a good comparison from a performance perspective as I used my remapped 335D coupe for the morning session and the S3 for the afternoon, I had real concerns that since moving to quattro from rear wheel drive that the S3 may be a little dull on track.......

Far from it boys, yes the BMW commands more involvement with its compliant rear end but the S3 was an absolute hoot with power and speed out of the tighter corners being really impressive, I gave the car everything for the full afternoon and it performed flawlessly with strong proggressive pull all the way through the rev range, with a little extra effort and commitment it matched the 335d down the long straight (135mph), consumed a full tank of Shell's finest and felt good and ready for more of the same, the brakes also surprised me by being up to the task.

I'm very confident the power is in excess of 300 bhp as I track regluarly with the same drivers and cars and left a fair few of them in my wake, what was particulary impressive was the power at the top of the rev range.

I would highly recommend Statller and the GIAC software to anyone who wishes to remap their car, I have now lost any form of anxiety in relation to messing with the safe factory mapping and look forward to re-visiting Steve jnr real soon to have the HPFP fitted alongside the full miltek, the car feels ultra reliable and super smooth so a big thumbs up from me.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Good write up Spin.

Interested to hear your thoughts, and I guess with the new '09 S3 a lot of the teething issues of some of the older cars like my '07 may well have been ironed out.

Never used GIAC myself. Had an MTM map at 198 miles, and at 1000 had massive expectations. Ended up back at Revo after 3 months for my 4th Revo remap as the MTM whilst sound failed to deliver any real thrills. Expensive lesson learned, and one that would have been better spent on a full Milltek system (doh).

Like you, I'm not out for headline figures or every last BHP at the expense of reliability. I want to be thrilled when I hit the loud pedal, and if it puts a smile on my face then bugger the dyno lottery figures (use them as a ball park but nothing else).

Over time I have felt the S3 can be lazy at certain points in the rev range, so HPFP is now on order for collection in a couple of weeks. Hope that this sorts out some of the indolence in the mid range and gives a sharper surge to the red line.

Good to hear about good customer service too. All often the forgotten factor.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

4th Gear

Status
    I've heard nothing but good things about Statler too

You've summed up my thoughts on GIAC and the S3 perfectly.

GIAC - Smooth and progressive, allows you to drive the car and moderate power perfectly for what ever your current situation.

S3 - I know there are some that always feel the need to kick the S3 as a 'pretender' but it genuinely is fun on track, not in an power oversteer cloud of smoke kind of way, but in it's ability to be nimble have great traction and hassle toys that you would think would leave you for dust!

Were you at Bedford with the guys from AudiSRS where the 911 GT2 and Aston came together?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiekip View Post
    I've heard nothing but good things about Statler too

You've summed up my thoughts on GIAC and the S3 perfectly.

GIAC - Smooth and progressive, allows you to drive the car and moderate power perfectly for what ever your current situation.

S3 - I know there are some that always feel the need to kick the S3 as a 'pretender' but it genuinely is fun on track, not in an power oversteer cloud of smoke kind of way, but in it's ability to be nimble have great traction and hassle toys that you would think would leave you for dust!

Were you at Bedford with the guys from AudiSRS where the 911 GT2 and Aston came together?

Yep, have posted a link to some pics
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold

3rd Gear

Status
    Agreed with statller comments mate known steve + his dad etc down there a few years so when they got into tuning etc i knew the would try to keep the good reputation they had earnt with other areas of there business,i had my golf 150 gttdi remapped down there with GIAC and fitted the full milltek and to say it was only probably est 700 for everything to be honest it went like stink loved the grunt of the diesel and at 200bhp was impressive but also the giac power delivery then like on my audi was just so smooth it was ace

3rd Gear

Status
    Sorry to go off topic but just wondering why you got rid of the 130i and what you thought of it whilst you had it (have been tempted by them)??

cheers

Neutral

Status
    So the GIAC is approx 500 from Statlers is that about right? How much is the Militek and how much for the induction kit?
    I just know that if i book in to have the remap done, how much extra i'm going to end up 'having' to spend?!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bantam1 View Post
    Sorry to go off topic but just wondering why you got rid of the 130i and what you thought of it whilst you had it (have been tempted by them)??

cheers
    The 130i was and is an excellent car and great fun, mine was a 3 door that I bought @ 8 months ago privately then sold recently for more than I paid but i had added many of the BMW performance parts which is what attracted the buyer, I sold because I needed a 4 door and the offer was tempting.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ferris View Post
    So the GIAC is approx 500 from Statlers is that about right? How much is the Militek and how much for the induction kit?
    I just know that if i book in to have the remap done, how much extra i'm going to end up 'having' to spend?!
    Give junior (steve) a call on 0114 2798195, mention the forum and this review and I'm sure he will look after you price/discount wise.

Spin

2nd Gear

Status
    Interesting read. I too had my hammer file put on by Junior at Stattler so can concur with spin: A good outfit with a wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm (Junior will have you spending thousands lol)

On a side note, im intruiged that the hammer file took your car from feeling "a great deal less responsive" to "comfortably quicker" than the 130. IM not knocking the GIAC file, far from it, but I doubt it would make THAT much of a difference. Sorry, but i love splitting hairs Placebo effect anyone?

Lastly, the 335d. Hella fast diesel, but im 95% confident there is nothing between it and the S3 in a straight line, if anything the s3 has the slightest of edges in that regard.

Me and a chap have had regular sparring sessions and can only remember 1 time where i was unable to overtake - albiet very slowly. I just think the s3 gets there that teeny bit quicker.

Nice write up dood

3rd Gear

Status
    The 700 quid i quoted earlier mate was on the golf obviously exhaust alot cheaper because of no cat needed so milltek exhaust on them is just a straight through fitted pipe plus thinking about it may have been nearer the 850 area forget with chucking money at the golf for various running requirements and different mods but qive them a ring mate if your thinking of doing it speak to steve either way they should give you ammo needed to make your decision