I think my car could be a helicopter!!

A

aythree

I've got a factory fitted sunroof, electric tilt and slide.

When it's fully open in the slide back position and I drive at anything over about 30-35mph I get what is probably the most annoying wind noise known to man!

It sounds like a bassy fluttering sound, almost like a helicopter :confused:

It blocks my ears in the same way as being on a landing plane or a London tube.
It does my head in and is so bad that I just cannot drive with it open.

Anybody else get this with theirs??
And if so, any tips on stopping it?? (Apart from the obvious "keep it closed"!!)

I've noticed that if I stick my hand out of the sunroof it either stops or greatly reduces the noise. However, for obvious reasons this solution isn't feasible!! :)

It shouldnt do that. I wonder if the wind deflector at the front of the sunroof is coming up? It should be spring loaded and come up automatically when you open the sunroof.

this noise is the air pulsating. like if you only have one window open it will do it, this is because there is a rush of air going into the car but nowhere for the air that is already in car to go. what u need to do is open both front windows slightly n it should go. its all about pressure, and when air rushes in, there is more air pressure inside the car so it pushes air out sunroof n then air goes back in, out,in,out n so on, n that is what causes that pulsating noise!

My bro's A2 chopper does the same when the fronts are open a tad.
He's not too fussed about it but it does sound really weird! lol.

all cars will do it, go for a drive and open just one window, it should pulsate again, and then open another window n it will go! same theory about sunroof. but as said below, there should be like a flap/diffuser which will break up the air coming into car and decrease flutter!

The sunroof has 2 positions when opened via sliding, the 1st position when dial is turned to to the 1st stop position it goes 3/4 way back & this usually causes the noise, if you then turn the dial more & hold it there as its sprung loaded it will go all way back, this usually stops that noise

also just check as already stated the deflector is coming up ok & also as advised if still pees you of just open window a little.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

The wind deflector does come up, was the first thing I checked.

The noise seems to happen in all positions... with the sunroof partially and fully open.

Don't think I've tried opening window(s) yet to see if it stops the noise though.
Will give it a go. :icon_thumright:

Seems a shame that I have to have the windows slightly open whenever I want to have the sunroof open though.
Oh well, I guess it's that or go back to sticking my hand out of the roof!! :)

Or not open the sunroof :undwech:

These ****** emoticons keep moving around the damn screen, the programmers did this on purpose

Or buy a cabrio, don't get this problem at 80mph

EarDefenders.jpg

There is supposed to be a comfort setting on them. This equates to about 3 notches closed from fully open. If you close the sunroof 3 notches you should have a massive improvement and your roof still open. Other than that its crack the rear windows