Pics of s-tronic shifter in new S3?

Finally got it finished today.

this was the old one, which is awful compared to the S3 knob

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2794569/Photo 18-01-2012 12 55 20.jpg

used this B&D heat gun

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2794569/Photo 22-01-2012 20 04 11.jpg

not very direct so had to use towels around the climate control as per Nigel's photo.

tried to be patient, took over an hour

this photo was before I got it perfectly aligned

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2794569/Photo 28-01-2012 11 10 46.jpg

took four attempts to get the new knob on as the button kept getting stuck in and I was sure I'd be driving around using a pliers to change gear for months!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2794569/Photo 28-01-2012 12 52 18.jpg

with flash

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2794569/Photo 28-01-2012 12 52 38.jpg

Such a huge difference for small money.

Was fearful I'd break it or snap it but following Nigel's instructions it all went to plan so a huge thanks to him.

What's left to do now................RNS e mk2 and S3 pedals...............

Well done, its not a mod for the faint hearted tbh as 1 wrong turn & thats at least £500 down the swanny.

Its the alignment & measurements you have to make sure are spot on or you'll be stuck at certain positions, but assuming you've tested all side to side, through the various positions & it doesnt get stuck anywhere, if so, onto next mod :)

Would love to upgrade the shifter but I don't trust myself enough not to break it!

I'm not the luckiest of people :keule:

Well done, its not a mod for the faint hearted tbh as 1 wrong turn & thats at least £500 down the swanny.

Its the alignment & measurements you have to make sure are spot on or you'll be stuck at certain positions, but assuming you've tested all side to side, through the various positions & it doesnt get stuck anywhere, if so, onto next mod :)

Cheers, I must have read your guide 20 times in the weeks leading up to doing and had it open on my laptop during the install so it was invaluable.

Taking my time and twisting it slowly was key as initially I thought it would only take twenty minutes but thought it best to do it over the hour.

I made the mistake of not gripping enough of the top of the plastic rod enough so the there was a small twist in the oval hole that the gear knob button lifts so once the general alignment of the rod was turned 45 degrees I then had to get a second long tip pliers and hold the bottom section of the rod in place and use the butt nose pliers to re align the top part so it near as looked like Nigel's before he put on the epoxy resin. That mistake aside it was as stressful but very tempting to do it too quickly(no jokes please!)

After the fourth attempt in getting the knob release button to work it worked perfectly and smoothly going between the gears.

I just pray it doesn't snap.

How is so expensive to replace? huge labour charge?

awesome work mate, have you got the part number for this yet ? and did you say its £60?

chris

Part numbers off Ebay ad were

8P2713139T

8P2 713 139 T

It came with the aluminum surround which is actually what I wanted to change first as previous owner must have throw keys on it as she left tiny little marks.

So when I saw the surround, leather gaiter and S tronic knob for £130 I bought it straight away.

The difference! It might sound stupid but it feels like a DSG rather than regular auto now, especially as I came from a 07 R32 which has the round gear knob.

All in all I'm thrilled with it and would recommend people do it once they follow Nigel's guide.

I used a Black and Decker 1400W heat gun rather than a lighter as suggested by some other US forums!

You ideally shouldnt use a heatgun as its way to big & hot imho, grab yourself a mini gas soldering iron that has the torch tip accessory & use this, much more controlled heat.

It costs so much to replace the gear unut because 1st, its about £250 anyway to buy, but you have to remove from under the car, so remove exhaust, some coverings, then disconnecting cables to gearbox, then remove unit & reverse of.

You ideally shouldnt use a heatgun as its way to big & hot imho, grab yourself a mini gas soldering iron that has the torch tip accessory & use this, much more controlled heat.

It costs so much to replace the gear unut because 1st, its about £250 anyway to buy, but you have to remove from under the car, so remove exhaust, some coverings, then disconnecting cables to gearbox, then remove unit & reverse of.

Yikes!

I hear what your saying about the heat gun and for that reason I tried to hold it at decnet distance as not to over heat the plastic.

I hope to God that I don't reach to pull it out of park one day and it'll snap!

Both will fit with modification (as shown in the thread I posted in and this one.

I am doing mine now guys.
Lets hope it will be ok.
I'll report back when finish :)

Don...
I have been wanting to do this for a year now. But couldn't fined the time nor the courage.
This was the scariest mod I ever started. I was so afriad of f..king up my selector pin that I almost s..t my pants...
I am an technical engineer and I am used to do "scary" things but when it comes to my pride and joy I always think twise.
But the job was pretty strait forward when I had started the heating of the rod.
I used the same method as Nigel. Gas soldering pen with open flame ( screwed of the tip) took my time and twisted it slowly.
What did it hard for me was to understand how the new selector should go back on. The old and the new was not alike. But after figuring this out it was no problem.
You have probably read that the button must not be pushed in before the nob is fully installed. I can tell you this strait awai. This will probably happen. It happend to me maybe 10 times lol.
But do not be afraid. You don't need a special tool to release it. I used a thine wire bent into a loop. Works perfect.

So here is the result.

8d5a52f943260845bbdecc3c2f2e4e46.jpg

5da1589545d3aaca982ab2ff67fd34e7.jpg

PS. My selector nob came with an RS logo. Can this be swooped out with an S-tronic logo badge?
Cam across a good deal that's why, but not shure if I like it now. But would not like to take it all off again.