Whining noise - Its the wheel bearing right?

tobycruse

Reaction score
Just the other day i noticed a funny noise coming from the car. I turned down the radio and had a listen to it a bit more.

If the car is say at 3000rpm and i take my foot of the gas and let it slow the whining noise starts. Its doesn't appear when i accelerate. It seems to be getting louder day by day.

Is this the wheel bearing? Should i be worried about anything else? I'm booking it into Audi tomorrow when the service dept is open.

Thanks in advance!

Wheel bearings usually sound worse when going round a corner, or at a particular speed (unrelated to engine revs), they sometimes make a kind of drumming noise. and you can usually hear which corner of the car the failed bearing is on.

What you describe could be a wheel bearing, but then again , it could be anything without more info to pin it down. If its coming from the centre of the rear I would suspect the rear diff, if its coming from a corner then a wheel bearing

I think you'll find its the engine mate, the S3 does have a whine when off the gas - i like it

I have this and put it down to the Michelin tyres, I thought they were either noisy by design or one may be mishaped or something, changing to Goodyear F1 Assymetric tomorrow as putting the Michelins on my Track wheels which I pick up tomorrow so this may help identify the cause.

I have this and put it down to the Michelin tyres, I thought they were either noisy by design or one may be mishaped or something, changing to Goodyear F1 Assymetric tomorrow as putting the Michelins on my Track wheels which I pick up tomorrow so this may help identify the cause.

Interesting. Let me know the outcome. If it is the tyres its not the end of the world. In a way, before posting this thread i did say to myself is sounds like a rubber whining. Anyone get what i mean?

I don't get it any worse round corners, and it seems to come from the front of the car. The mystery continues...

swap tyres front to back & see if it makes any difference, even same tyre brand & model can make a difference sometimes, check balancing aswell, all relevant.

Mine whines. Can't decide whether tranmission, turbo, engine whining down etc. Hard to tell. Does Seem related to revs though

Of topic, Dave did you ever find cause of water leak?

No its in audi today. Really strange though. I have a feeling its coming from the front then chanelling under the carpets etc. Then gathering at the lowest point and building up.

We were thinking rear wash wiper mate as pipe goes through from front

Even though I rarely wash the rear windows? Or do you think there are multiple connectors from the front.

Maybe should discuss this in the correct thread mate, sorry OP

Upon closer investigation it is unrelated to engine speed but related to road speed. It is most loud went deaccelerating from around 30mph and 50mph. The sound also appears when the clutch is fully disengaged, does this rule out its nothing to do with the engine and more to do with the wheels?

means its nothing to do with engine or the input end of the gearbox, clutch etc.

Could still be rear diff, propshaft etc but not if the noise is coming from the front.

Probably either tyres, or wheel bearing if its coming from front.

The S4 B6 was synonymous for horrible rolling noise on turns & generally driving, was horrible as always thought was bearings or shaft, but as a well known tuner who also owned one said was characteristic of the S4, strange, but I suspect tyres, bearings or actually driveshaft, but to note I have similar issues on my 8P & I cant fault the bearings & shafts dont appear to have issues so at a loss myself

Down to 2mm ish all round! I bet its the tyres!

2mm all round, sounds like it could very well be mate

Just taken my car to Audi to have 4 new tyres put on. All are Goodyear Asys. The car feels a lot better now.

The bad news is that there is still a whining noise! I had people in the back of the car today and they said they could hear it coming from the rear. I think i can hear it come from the front.

It isn't constant, only really appears at 30mph to 60mph. It has a different pitch sometimes but it seems related to the speed of the car, not engine speed. Anyone have any ideas what it could be now?

Sounds like your diff. Mine is making a whining noise too but I have pinned it down to my transmission. As soon as I disengage my gear the whine is gone....

Toby-
Sounds like something i have with mine. Kinda a whining noise that can be heard over music.. although more so now i know its there :)

For some background my car (2007 S3) was making similar noises at motorway speeds. When lifting off the gas at 70-80mph, as the car passed 60 to 50mph the noise became louder and much more apparent from the rear. To note maintaining speeds around 50-60mph the noise is constant. It also occurs with either the clutch engaged or dis-engaged and in any gear.

The dealer first told me i needed new tyres on the back (they were low btw) as the slightly uneven wear could cause vibrations/noises, fair enough. I changed the 4 tyres but the noise still remained.

I took the car back and they said a Technical bulletin was issued for this. They said the fix was a TPI, 'Turning the Propshaft Balance Weight 20 Degrees'. This didn't work either and i took the car back in again, this time they replaced my Propshaft.

Suffice to say i can still hear it, strangely now i can slightly hear it at around 70-75mph too. My next move is to take it to another Audi Dealership for a second opinion. I think its the diff.

Hope this helps.

Toby-
Sounds like something i have with mine. Kinda a whining noise that can be heard over music.. although more so now i know its there :)

For some background my car (2007 S3) was making similar noises at motorway speeds. When lifting off the gas at 70-80mph, as the car passed 60 to 50mph the noise became louder and much more apparent from the rear. To note maintaining speeds around 50-60mph the noise is constant. It also occurs with either the clutch engaged or dis-engaged and in any gear.

The dealer first told me i needed new tyres on the back (they were low btw) as the slightly uneven wear could cause vibrations/noises, fair enough. I changed the 4 tyres but the noise still remained.

I took the car back and they said a Technical bulletin was issued for this. They said the fix was a TPI, 'Turning the Propshaft Balance Weight 20 Degrees'. This didn't work either and i took the car back in again, this time they replaced my Propshaft.

Suffice to say i can still hear it, strangely now i can slightly hear it at around 70-75mph too. My next move is to take it to another Audi Dealership for a second opinion. I think its the diff.

Hope this helps.

Very useful info. Its going in on Thursday to have a master tech listen to the noise again. Like you, I have just had 4 new tyres put on, with no improvement.

It's looking like 2 things now, the prop shaft or the diff. I will mention this to the master tech on Thursday and see the outcome....

I got this, and when I checked the car the rear diff was leaking slightly.

Took it in to Audi and they replaced the seal on the diff.

Next day I checked it and it was leaking again.

So back in for 3 days for a new rear diff.

Ever since it has been done I get an unusual clonking noise whenever I cold start and get to 10/11 mph for the first time.

Since the diff has been replaced the noise appears to have gone.

I have just been to Audi and had the master tech in the car. Went for a long drive. He noticed the sound was coming from the rear and believes it to be the haldex.

He was aware that the car as been modified and is convinced that the haldex may have been damaged because of too much power going through it.

The car is booked in to be looked at, and possibly have the haldex replaced.

Don't they have to prove that is what the uprated power that damaged the haldex? And if they cant prove it, it has to be replaced under warranty?

Oh here we go, audi tech's & there amazing nose for diagnosis & cause of faults without even looking at it, why are they so quick to blame something else as it could never be an audi part, twats, without a doubt get them to prove it, there's not many S3 sportbacks tbh on here huh but check with other owners that maybe havnt mapped & upgraded, be interesting to know about this given I want one of these maybe next years.

My S3 SB has done this from day one, its switcahble remapped now but otherwise standard looking. Dealers are always a pain once they realise a car is no longer standard.

I had put the noise down to tyres but this thread suggests otherwise

This could be interesting now, do we have an S3 SB issue now, urrrmmm

Audi master technicians trying to diagnose a fault that doesn't throw a DTC =

blind%20leading.jpg

I own an S3 SB and this thread is getting me worried. Currently the car has more than 3k miles and no noise until now. Hope it stays this way:detective2:

I don't think it's a safety or perhaps even a reliability issue more of a 'comfort/refinement' issue, I know my previous 8P never did it, my wife can't even identify when I point it out and commented she thought it was just road noise but definetly a mild whirring coming from rear axle/diff, I've changed from michelin to Goodyear this week and the noise remains.

I plan to get a tech to come out with me just to get it on record then try and forget about it, these things are like rattles you can become totally obssessed by what is a tiny hinderance.

Hate to say it again Guys but every Audi I've owned has been back for some kind of minor fault, both BMW's were/are totally faultless, I have certainly become enlightened as my perception was always one of Audi being the supreme car builder, they have some work to do to improve on current standards.

Aside form this minor niggle though the S3 is a great car and so very practical in 5 door format, ****** to keep clean though :(

I don't think it's a safety or perhaps even a reliability issue more of a 'comfort/refinement' issue, I know my previous 8P never did it, my wife can't even identify when I point it out and commented she thought it was just road noise but definetly a mild whirring coming from rear axle/diff, I've changed from michelin to Goodyear this week and the noise remains.

I plan to get a tech to come out with me just to get it on record then try and forget about it, these things are like rattles you can become totally obssessed by what is a tiny hinderance.

Hate to say it again Guys but every Audi I've owned has been back for some kind of minor fault, both BMW's were/are totally faultless, I have certainly become enlightened as my perception was always one of Audi being the supreme car builder, they have some work to do to improve on current standards.

Aside form this minor niggle though the S3 is a great car and so very practical in 5 door format, ****** to keep clean though :(

Audi haven't got any standards anymore. My car has done 1500 miles and been back to Audi 5 times with things that should have been picked up either at build or the dealers inspection check. What they missed when they did their quality checks I found in 5 minutes. Hope you get everything sorted Toby.....remember its not your job to prove the upgrade didn't effect the Haldex, it's their job to prove it did!

The car is going into Audi tomorrow to have the following done:

• Check wheel bearings on all 4 wheels
• Check prop shaft
• Check haldex
• Thoroughly lubricate all suspension bushes
• Check oil level
• Paint chip on front bumper
• Paint rear diffuser matt black
• Holding lock/unlock on key fob does not open/close windows

I have already spoken to the service manager about where we stand in regards to the modified car and if the haldex is found to be faulty. She is aware that Audi have to prove that the modifications had caused the damage.

So, watch this space! The Modified Car VS Audi Dealership fight is on!

Dropped the car in this morning and got a A3 2.0TDI black edition. Nice car, forgot how soft standard clutches were!

Had the on-site bodywork girl go round the car to asses what parts i wanted sprayed. The result should be good! So, if all else fails, the car will at least look the part!

So now the wait begins for the phone call, and possible argument. I even had a dream about it! That cant be good!

Stand your ground mate & your win through.

Ouch. Just got a call from the service manager, Helen. She wanted to know all the modifications i had done to my car. I gave her the list, excluding the BHP and LB/FT figures. Also excluding the fuel pump modification. I might as well be honest, if i don't tell them they can see what i have done, no point in lying.

This info is going to Audi direct, and going from there. Helen made out that its best to be truthful in this situation. I did state in my email to them that i do know of several cars that have needed their haldex replaced and that they were standard cars.....

Keep watching this space guys!

Result!

Just got a call from Audi, they have approved the Haldex to be replaced under warranty! YES!

After declaring all the modifications I thought I would be doomed! But it seems not.

The body shop are working on the car over the weekend, wait and see the results!

What a relief! I didn't like the idea of having to pay for a new Haldex, how much would one cost anyway?

good result there lucky lad arnt they about 700 quid ???

Result!

Just got a call from Audi, they have approved the Haldex to be replaced under warranty! YES!

After declaring all the modifications I thought I would be doomed! But it seems not.

The body shop are working on the car over the weekend, wait and see the results!

What a relief! I didn't like the idea of having to pay for a new Haldex, how much would one cost anyway?

Thats good news for all us modified owners, let us know if this cures the whining noise as if it does I may as well get mine done too .

Well done