Whining noise - Its the wheel bearing right?

Good news for you (and everyone with modified cars), but I am very surprised.

I have the same problem and mines standard. Has anyone who has fixed the fault found it any different to drive once replaced?

I have the same problem and mines standard. Has anyone who has fixed the fault found it any different to drive once replaced?

I'm getting the car back tomorrow so watch this space. I did notice that the rear end was less pushy when i could hear the noise, say powering out of a corner...

Mine has done it since i got it in january so I have known know different. Got a rolling road reading of 292 hp from amd so I just ignored it. But I suppose a problem with the diff would not show up on there. Gonna call them tomorrow to get it booked in me thinks.

Would be very interested to hear the outcome of this mate. I've had mine (2007 S3 2door) in two dealerships for the same issue, both have come back and said 'yes we can hear the noise but there's nothing up, it's just tyres'. I disagree with this, the noise doesn't change depending on the road surface you're on therefore it cannot be tyres...

I've got Pirellis on all round and the noise was present from buying the car (the tyres were brand new at this point).

I swapped wheels/tyres (michellins) with a friend off his S3, the noise still persisted.

His car does not make this noise at any speed. with my or his wheels/tyres on it!!

Anyway, good luck...

Regards,

Dave

Just got the car back. The dealership replaced the haldex (a cost of £2000)! Free to me as they did it under warranty!

Since driving the car the noise has now gone! This confirms what many of us have been thinking, it is the haldex making the whining noise.

I believe the dealers are being difficult with this as it doesn't really effect the car. i.e. the part ain't broke. But, you can hear the noise, which to anyone would seems to say there is something wrong....

Maybe it would be an idea to start a list of users with this whining fault? See what numbers we are talking about?

Haldex Fault (Whining Noise)

1. tobycruse

It may also be helpful if someone could record and upload the noise for reference. This may be useful for those wondering whether they have the same issue or not. (btw - I can host and provide a link to the mp3, wav or whatever if need be. let me know)

Toby

That's great news, really pleased now as that was the outcome i was hoping for. I will be pushing this and if so provide details of this post for reference. The car is due a service so will get it done then.

I also think it would be a good idea to list how many are suffering this;

1. tobycruse
2. SiT

I'll add to the list,

1. tobycruse
2. SiT
3. Dave
4. S30PES aka matt

Sorry to bump this thread again. Does anyone else who has this problem notice that it is worse when there is people in the back. I went out after my last post and was trying to hear the noise but it was only slight when I was alone in the car but then I went out with 3 of us and the noise grew a lot louder. I ask because I am booking it in this week and wanted to make sure it is the same problem as everyone else.

thanks, matt

I had an issue with the rear diff and did have a slight whining noise. A further inspection by Audi found the seal on the rear diff was leaking and oil was coming out. They replaced the seal and it got worse, eventually spewing all the oil on my garage floor.

One new rear diff later and mine seems better.

The car is going into Audi tomorrow to have the following done:

• Check wheel bearings on all 4 wheels
• Check prop shaft
• Check haldex
• Thoroughly lubricate all suspension bushes
• Check oil level
• Paint chip on front bumper
• Paint rear diffuser matt black
• Holding lock/unlock on key fob does not open/close windows

I have already spoken to the service manager about where we stand in regards to the modified car and if the haldex is found to be faulty. She is aware that Audi have to prove that the modifications had caused the damage.

So, watch this space! The Modified Car VS Audi Dealership fight is on!

Very encouraging to see they accepted the warranty issues.....my own dealer keeps making the same statements re any mods...the part modified will have it's warranty invalidated etc etc,so I'll bear your experience in mind!

My car's rear diff whined at 60-70mph for the first 4-5k miles and has since stopped this,but it also has a slight whine from the front somewhere at about 20mph when decelerating in second gear,and I'd put this down to a bit of transmission/gearbox related noise.

I've had my rear diff done now, it has got rid of the whining at 60 to 70...

Very encouraging to see they accepted the warranty issues.....my own dealer keeps making the same statements re any mods...the part modified will have it's warranty invalidated etc etc,so I'll bear your experience in mind!

My car's rear diff whined at 60-70mph for the first 4-5k miles and has since stopped this,but it also has a slight whine from the front somewhere at about 20mph when decelerating in second gear,and I'd put this down to a bit of transmission/gearbox related noise.

S3 alex, i do get the noise you're talking about at low speeds in 1st and 2nd but have been told this is just a normal 4wd characteristic...

Dave

It's SORTED..!!!!

Got the car back today; its had the rear diff replaced and the noises have completely vanished. I'm so pleased, with some persistence, help from this forum and Toby in particular the whinning noises are hopefully gone for good.

Ta

Sie

I've had my rear diff done now, it has got rid of the whining at 60 to 70...

Dave - Just re-reading this post; good to hear you had your diff replaced and its cleared it up too.

Well done

Mine ('07 S3) is also doing similar things. Noise is between 2-2500rpm accelerating and slowing down but much more noticeable slowing down. Sounds like a bearing but disappears as soon as I dip the clutch so I was thinking it might be engine related, but it wont do it stationary if I hold the revs, only when in gear and moving so maybe gearbox or diff related.
It was annoyingly quiet when the first Audi tech came out with me, but it also has good days and bad days so I'm not sure if it depends where or how many people are sitting in the car. First visit was told it was the exhaust and that's the noise it made! Been to another dealer now and they mentioned it might be uneven tyre wear but after a reasonable test drive they put it up on the ramps and turned the rear wheels apparently. This produced a strange noise from the middle of the car.... was supposed to be going in today to have the haldex looked at but car is under about 3ft of snow so the visit is postponed for a while lol! When I can drive it again I'll try and get the noise recorded (and hopefully fixed!!)

I have a similar problem but it does sound like the front.
Sounds like a bearing but on a 58 with 21k I would doubt it.
I'm running Michelin PS2s also, I'm aware they are a noisy tyre but I'm still not convinced.
Watch this space.............

i get a deep rumble sound, like the original star trek warp noise LOL. (which is when the car starts to take off too)
i thought was the rear drive train in my 170tdi quattro.
however, now i think its exhaust resonance, as it happens dependent on engine rpm, not speed.

Hey guys just recently joined Audi-sport.net as I saw there was a lot of useful info on the forums ... This was confirmed when I had the same problem as tobycruse , I'll get the Haldex checked by Audi
This was an issue on my Audi 2011 S3 8P sport back

Thanks for being so informing with the updates tobycruse and the Audi Okies on here .. They might have small non performance related issues but they definitely still my favorite and the interiors make competitions look like children with crayons
I'll add to the list,

1. tobycruse
2. SiT
3. Dave
4. S30PES aka matt
5.Brooksbro

Oh and the grill looks good Toby ... Definitely wanting to get that done but why go with the matte black rear defuser and not gloss black to match the rest of the trims ? Curious

I know this is a old thread, but does anyone know if the haldex can be fixed by changing a bearing for instance, instead of buying a whole new haldex diff?

I know this is a old thread, but does anyone know if the haldex can be fixed by changing a bearing for instance, instead of buying a whole new haldex diff?

Good question i see them on ebay around 550 for the whole unit. Anyone help here?

Hi Guys,
Recently my TT 2000(MK1) starts whining in driver side. It happens when I release the clutch in the first gear to start moving,and after 3-5 mph the whining noise disappears, I don't have this issue with revers gear. I can not detect it if it comes from axle, wheel or transmission, or at least I don't know how to :) !...
Any idea what it is ?
Thanks

I have a similar problem on my 2009 s3 8p...Anyone recon just changing the haldex oil and filter would help the problem?

Tomrun, I have the same issue (same car, same year, 2009 S3 8P) , and I'm getting the Haldex and new Tyres done next week, I'll report back.

Got the car back Friday, had it up and down the motorway today, at various speeds, over various surfaces and I can say that the noise now has gone.

The work I had done was to replace the 2 rear tyres, replace the Haldex oil, and to replace my brake fluid.

I do think in my case it was the tyres as I was at 1.8mm tread, 2mm away from the legal limit . I also went from Michelin to Continental Sports Contact 5's which does have a 2dB lower noise profile. chances are I was running the wrong tyre pressure too because I'm a dunce...

As such, sort tyres out first, if that fails, try the haldex as that's only £65-90, if that fails, you're looking at the diff like others have mentioned.

Best of luck!

I just had a new diff at 50k miles, started whining at exactly 30mph and 65mph. sent the dif away but there is not much they can do with them and what they do will be guess work and you will not know if they hit the spot till you get the whole thing re assembled.
A new Dif/haldex is £3600.00 and is the same as used on the Ford Kuga, Volvo C90 and various other makes and models.