Strange Knocking Noise

Clueless 3.2

Reaction score
I need some help please. I have a strange knocking noise on my 2004 a3 Quattro. It comes and goes and happens and only when I go over speed bumps or the road is really bad. It sounds like something knocking in the engine compartment is knocking against the dashboard.

I have had audi look at it twice now and the first time they thought it was the bushes (which were then replaced) and the second time I took it in it didn't happen for them and when I went out on a drive with the technician it wasn't doing it either. That was a couple of weeks back and now it has started again and has been consistent all week...and is slowly driving me crazy!!

Can anyone shed any light on this as I am going to get it booked in and want it sorted once and for all.

I am going spare!

Sorry should have mentioned that the bushes which were changed were the ARB bushes.

Ok next I would check are the connecting links that bolt onto the arb & the suspension mate cause if the arb bushes did something to help for few weeks then maybe now they've loosened up a little its allowed the links to move more which inturn could also allow the arb to also move more when going over rough roads.

They're £30 each & 1 each side, always worth changing at some stage & 5yr old car to, need spline socket end to undo & spanner, easy to do tbh & considering audi's hourly rate you could buy the pair for less than 1hrs charge from audi & do yourself so your still better of changing anyway to see if they are the issue mate.

Would cost either way, reckon worth a go even if not them, might just be though given only over bumps & rough roads.

Make sure you spray the nuts/bolts up with wd & leave for 10 mins before undoing & make sure got new nuts on end of links to as one of mine seized & ground of & changed for new.

Just curious as to if they changed the whole front arb cause the bushes arent available seperately from audi for the front, the arb comes fixed with the bushes on & clamps riveted with a metal base plate, so unless they changed the whole front arb then there's no way the changed those arb bushes mate

things to check:
anti-roll bar drop rods
ARB bushes
suspension bushes including top mounts
something loose in the engine bay ?god knows what though

i have resorted to driving round a pot-holed car park with the bonnet up, with a mechanic sat in the engine bay whilst i drive to try to find these damn things - turned out to be the top mounts in the end - only noticable with really sharp bumps though.

lmao classic & something I'd do dunk, lmao thats well funny, but its funny you should mention top mounts, cause I had a knocking noise & feel on road, the top mounts were absolutely fecked & this was after a full suspension upgrade, couldnt understand how they got so fecked so quickly from that change, but anyway correct another thing to check, strange cause removing the suspension & replacing the mounts was a piece of **** where as the 1st time was a real bitch.

Thanks guys, have booked it back into to Audi this friday and will make sure they check those things. They had a look already to check for anything being loose. I just checked my invoice and it wasn't the ARB bushes changed it was the wishbone bushes. Not sure if that makes any difference. As you can probably tell not got the greatest of mechanical know how.

Cars under warranty so hopefully will be covered. Just want it sorted once and for all.

Thanks Again..fingers crossed will be sorted.