EM TuningSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

Cooling Fans Still Running ?

Confused ?? Any help would be greatful
    thanks !!!!
    Friday evening the fans on my A3 20TDi 54 where still running (low speed ) after 3 hours of stopping the car ??? so a quick look on the forum said the 80amp fuse on the front of the fusebox would cut the power to the fan motors so I disconnected it and the fans stopped to save the battery !! Saturday I reconnected the 80amp supply and the motors ran on full speed without even starting the engine ?? the rest of Sat was spent reading the forums for help and trying everything including removing every fuse in both boxes and every relay ! but the fans kept running ?? Next I unplugged every connector under the bonnet 1 by 1 and the only one to stop the fans was the one on the bottom left of the radiator which I presume is the main electrical (80amp) feed to the 2 fans. Am I right in thinking the fans run at full speed to save the engine if a senser has failed ? or a fault has occured ?
    So I could used the car and turn off the fans when its parked I have fitted an on/off switch between the fusebox and the fan motors but I would like any suggestions if possible for a fix or how to find out which probe or senser has failed ???
    Thanks Stu

2. # ADS
    ADS

Sepang Blue S3

Status
    It happened to me when it went in for some work. Had a faulty sensor at the front and the whole front of the car had to come off to replace. This was about 3 years ago on my 2.0T A3
    2012 Porsche Cayman R Peridot Green MY12
    2011 Porsche Cayman S Basalt Black MY08

2010 S3 Sepang Blue MY10
    2009 S3 Imola Yellow MY09
    2007 S3 Solar Orange MY08
    2005 A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line 200Bhp MY06 : Misano Red
    2003 A3 2.0Tdi Sport 140Bhp MY04 : Brilliant Black

Reverse Gear

Status
    WOuld you say it was a DIY job and if so about how long should I allow to do it ?

Reverse Gear

Status
    OK Just been for a drive with the fans switched on and all was fine except I notice the Temp guage didn't rise much above 50-60 so I prsume the fans don't run all the time when working correctly so should I just turn them on when the temp starts to rise above normal ? and what is normal ? about half way on the guage ??

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Sounds like a temp sensor mate has gone funny cause this would cause the fans to run sporadicly & also the temp gauge to mess about, but temp gauage could also be cause the fans are running when shouldnt so cooling alot more, could also be the fan unit itself, have you got a log of vcds to see if any errors thrown?

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    OK everythings fine now with the switch i have put on apart from the switch getting a bit warm as I had to use household 2.5mm twin & earth and a switch off an old slot machine to rig up the makeshift cure but maplins on Tues morning for a heavy duty switch untill I have time to start dismantling the sensors !! a process of ellimination over the next few weeks !! Once I find the cure I'll post whatever I find out but any help would be appreciated !! I will not be beaten LOL !!
    Last edited by Studj; 12th April 2009 at 21:08.

is a retronaut

Status
    Seems a bit elaborate! If you can find the temp switch disconnect it, short the pins and that'll confirm whether it's the switch or not.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Tried that already yesterday but thanks for the suggestion if the temp sensors x2 are the ones on the engine and also the one on the radiator and even cut the small 2 wires (not the thick feed and earth) but the fans still kept running at high speed with the ignition on or off so I needed to be able to turn off the fans at night so as not to flatten the battery but still be able to use the car over the bank hols and untill maplins opened ans also until I can find the real problem. But yes it was a bit elaborate but after 8 hours of trying everything on the web and a few ideas of my own it was getting dark and my fingers where bleeding so when the chips are down any cure will do !! LOL

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    & a VCDS scan as yet????

5th Gear

Status
    EXACT same problem I had. It's the Engine Temperature Sensor that needs replacing. That'll solve your problem
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Dusts of his nails & blows across them, before saying, I Told..........................................

lmao, nah sounds like its this tbh given the faults decribed, funny cause 8L also had this huh & very common

is a retronaut

Status
    Yeah it's very common. It was coming up so often that I even explained the fans thing in my Air Con FAQs.
    Last edited by Staz; 13th April 2009 at 00:42. Reason: Monged it
    8P2 S3

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    You're so common

PS. Glad sig back to norm, ahhh bliss

Makinen...ha

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by emzino View Post
    EXACT same problem I had. It's the Engine Temperature Sensor that needs replacing. That'll solve your problem
    I think i need a new one as well haha, i only need to start the car and the fans goin crazy already! or is this normal

How much are the sensors?

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I think i need a new one as well haha, i only need to start the car and the fans goin crazy already! or is this normal

How much are the sensors?
    Not the same problem.

Have you got the air con on by any chance? That's why the fans are on most likely.
    8P2 S3

Makinen...ha

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    Not the same problem.

Have you got the air con on by any chance? That's why the fans are on most likely.
    No i never have the air con on..

The fans come on at other times too but they're extremely loud, i only have to drive 2 mins down the road and they're comin on and staying on for a couple of minutes

Like i said if they wernt as loud then i wouldnt think there was a problem but like i said in my previous post, they go crazy!

is a retronaut

Status
    No i never have the air con on..

The fans come on at other times too but they're extremely loud, i only have to drive 2 mins down the road and they're comin on and staying on for a couple of minutes

Like i said if they wernt as loud then i wouldnt think there was a problem but like i said in my previous post, they go crazy!
    When you say never do you mean NEVER? Why? Also it's bad for the air con system to never run it.

Perhaps you do have a similar fault then. Not the same as above though as Stu's fans are on even without the key in the ignition.
    8P2 S3

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Never did get the poxy idea behind having an econ button, I see they saw sense now & changed it to AC, just seemed stupid, but can I find a new climate on any of the bays, can I feck

Makinen...ha

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    When you say never do you mean NEVER? Why? Also it's bad for the air con system to never run it.

Perhaps you do have a similar fault then. Not the same as above though as Stu's fans are on even without the key in the ignition.
    Well to be honest i'd say ive used it maybe 3 times in just over a month, so more or less never, considerin i do a few hundred miles a week

Plus the weather hasnt been nice enough to have ice cold air being blown in your face!

I might take it into audi get them to look at it

is a retronaut

Status
    Well to be honest i'd say ive used it maybe 3 times in just over a month, so more or less never, considerin i do a few hundred miles a week

Plus the weather hasnt been nice enough to have ice cold air being blown in your face!

I might take it into audi get them to look at it
    3 times a month is just fine. Minimum of once a month is needed to keep it working fully.

If it's under warranty take it in yeah.
    8P2 S3

Reverse Gear

Status
    Back after a trip to Blackpool and the fan switch was getting a bit warm but nothing too excessive but all seems to work with my bodge for now but I have read the posts since last night and everything seems to be pointing to the sensors but what I can't understand is that I disconnected them 1 by 1 and the fans still ran with the ignition key in my pocket so next I shorted the individual feeds to the sensors and still they ran ??? as for the VCDS scan I am working on that but need to find one localy or if my mates snap-on one will do the trick if he has the right key chip ?
    Stu

I will not be beaten

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Studj View Post
    Back after a trip to Blackpool and the fan switch was getting a bit warm but nothing too excessive but all seems to work with my bodge for now but I have read the posts since last night and everything seems to be pointing to the sensors but what I can't understand is that I disconnected them 1 by 1 and the fans still ran with the ignition key in my pocket so next I shorted the individual feeds to the sensors and still they ran ??? as for the VCDS scan I am working on that but need to find one localy or if my mates snap-on one will do the trick if he has the right key chip ?
    Are you sure you know where the sensors are? How many pins are on them? Older sensors just had 2 pins and the sensor acted as a potentiometer. I don't know if newer ones are the same. If they are shorting them or opening them should have some effect!
    8P2 S3

Reverse Gear

Status
    As far as I can gather from the many pointers on the web there are 2 temp sensors on the engine one at the top front ( slightly to the right) as you stand looking at the engine with the bonet open and one on the right at the back under the air filter box ! both had 2 pins. But if I am wrong tell me like I said I have only had the car for a week and this is a steep learning curve at the moment. LOL !
    Stu

I will not be beaten

is a retronaut

Status
    As far as I can gather from the many pointers on the web there are 2 temp sensors on the engine one at the top front ( slightly to the right) as you stand looking at the engine with the bonet open and one on the right at the back under the air filter box ! both had 2 pins. But if I am wrong tell me like I said I have only had the car for a week and this is a steep learning curve at the moment. LOL !
    I have no idea myself where they are, I just wondered how sure you are that they're the right ones. As I say if there are only 2 pins an open circuit or a short should have an effect. One would tell it the temp is max low and the other that it's max high. It should literally turn the fans on and off by touching the pins together on and off.

I can only suggest that the sensor isn't at fault or you have the wrong sensor.
    8P2 S3

1st Gear

Status

Hi there , the sensor at top right of engine bay you mention is the fuel temp sensor , very simular to the water temp sensor in appearance .
    The temp sensor is towards the bottom of the engine block , standing in front of car looking at engine , the big fat intercooler pipe is coming up to inlet manifold , look to the left of this pipe down through the gap you should see a plasic union water pipe outlet with a sensor pointing down , this is the water temp sensor , 2 pin and held in by a sliding clip , a complete git to get at , but doable .
    costs 25 + vat for the sensor and o ring seal

the above is for a 2.0 tdi bkd manual gearbox , what engine code and transmission do you have ?
    Last edited by 347; 13th April 2009 at 20:12.

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 347 View Post
    Hi there , the sensor at top right of engine bay you mention is the fuel temp sensor , very simular to the water temp sensor in appearance .
    The temp sensor is towards the bottom of the engine block , standing in front of car looking at engine , the big fat intercooler pipe is coming up to inlet manifold , look to the left of this pipe down through the gap you should see a plasic union water pipe outlet with a sensor pointing down , this is the water temp sensor , 2 pin and held in by a sliding clip , a complete git to get at , but doable .
    costs 25 + vat for the sensor and o ring seal

the above is for a 2.0 tdi bkd manual gearbox , what engine code and transmission do you have ?
    Who do you work for??
    8P2 S3

1st Gear

Status
    a local engineering company ?

was only trying to assist as i had to change mine recently

is a retronaut

Status
    a local engineering company ?

was only trying to assist as i had to change mine recently
    I see. I just wondered if you work for Audi as you asked about the engine code.

Did you have the exact same symptoms?
    8P2 S3

1st Gear

Status
    i looked on ekta to try and confirm his placement of sensors
    and found numerous tdi engine codes ,
    didnt want to lead him up the wrong path as such .

Have read your air con link , i have a chirping compressor at low revs
    when econ button pressed chirp stops ?
    air con works ok and pressure has been checked as ok , got any ideas ?
    thanks

is a retronaut

Status
    i looked on ekta to try and confirm his placement of sensors
    and found numerous tdi engine codes ,
    didnt want to lead him up the wrong path as such .

Have read your air con link , i have a chirping compressor at low revs
    when econ button pressed chirp stops ?
    air con works ok and pressure has been checked as ok , got any ideas ?
    thanks
    Check for any rubbing of course but 'chirping' would indicate bearings to me. Perhaps the compressor pulley bearing.
    8P2 S3

"Started From The Bottom"

Status
    I'm getting this same issue ......Does anybody know what I need to replace ?

My Fans Have completely stop working....

This is my Vag-com scan.......:

Address 01: Engine Labels: 03G-906-016-BKD.lbl
    Part No SW: 03G 906 016 G HW: 028 101 136 4
    Component: R4 2,0L EDC 0000SG 5334
    Revision: 12345678 Serial number: AUX7Z0C6FN301U
    Coding: 0000072
    Shop #: WSC 06435 000 00000

2 Faults Found
    18354 - Control Module 1 for Coolant Fan: Defective
    P1946 - 000 - -
    Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 840 /min
    Torque: 28.0 Nm
    Speed: 0.0 km/h
    Load: 0.0 %
    Voltage: 14.14 V
    Bin. Bits: 00000000
    Temperature: 35.1°C
    Duty Cycle: 9.6 %

16502 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Signal too High
    P0118 - 000 - -
    Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 840 /min
    Torque: 26.0 Nm
    Speed: 0.0 km/h
    Load: 0.0 %
    Voltage: 14.14 V
    Bin. Bits: 00000000
    Temperature: 39.6°C
    Temperature: 32.4°C

Fossie

Status
    See if this Ross-Tech page helps you :-

16502/P0118/000280 - Ross-Tech Wiki

"Started From The Bottom"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    See if this Ross-Tech page helps you :-

16502/P0118/000280 - Ross-Tech Wiki
    Do you think this error is due to my fans not working? As they have stopped completely.

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by digzz View Post
    Do you think this error is due to my fans not working? As they have stopped completely.
    Dunno mate sorry - someone will be along soon to help you

Neutral

Status
    I just got home and got out the car to find the fans still running. Car had been driven home very leisurely so not hot at all and the temp gauge was right in the middle.

I went inside and it was still running a few minutes later, I started it and then it stopped when I turned it off again but seems odd!

Should I be getting Audi to look at this? Car is only a few weeks old!

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by apoc_reg View Post

Should I be getting Audi to look at this? Car is only a few weeks old!
    Too bloody right you should !!! Wing it straight back.

Neutral

Status
    Will do! Cheers

Gievf Buckets

Status
    the fans have a capacitor in em that commonly goes causes your symtoms it will eventually get worse get audi to replace it

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.