Quick question for anyone with a new 2009 A3

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I read in a recent road test in the Audi Driver magazine of an A6 Avant that Audi had changed the headlight dip-switch. The original one is where you push it forward for main beam and pull it back for dip beam with the actual lever moving position. The new one is where it stays in the same position all the time and you just push it against a spring to get main and pull it against the spring to get dip, but the actual lever does not move position.

Can anyone with a new 2009 A3 tell me if this change has made it onto the A3 range yet.

On mine you push it forward into a different position.

Thanks guys. I thought that would be the case. Pity because I much prefer the click for main, click again for dip system.

Perhaps it would be possible to change the switch for the one used an the A6. 'frenchy2475' what do you think. Any idea of the price of the switch on the A6.

Found this link in my quest to solve my problem even though I've posted on it before.

h5djr, it looks as though as from 06/08 the A3 uses a new headlight dip-switch. Just changed mine for one with cruise control and it is now as you say (i.e. the lever doesn't move position). I can't get my main beam to stay on. Parts guys have recommended that I try the previous part number so that it clicks in the forward position.

Edit - the parts guy said that the cruise stalk I have is the same as on the A6, so if this is the case and the new A3's have the same stalk as you refer to h5djr perhaps it will need recoding after all (but god knows how)

These are the other two posts which relate:-

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=73882

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=73898

My A3 Sportback was built in April 2009 and it has cruise fitted from the factory. The main beam switch also clicks into position when I push it down for main beam. I would prefer it if it would work by just pushing it and it sprung back. I wonder if the switch can be changed and the electrics recoded? Anyone have any ideas.

I've just had another look at my copy of the parts catalogue (revision 751) and if I select a 2009 MY A3 it only lists the main beam switch as being 8P0 953 519 D. No mention of a version F.

Also listed is a part 8P0 953 549 F which is 'electronic module for steering combination switch' and this version is valid from 25/05/09. So this module is dated later than my A3 was made. Perhaps this module has the 'non-clicking' main beam already used on some of the other Audi models.

I assume I would have to change both the switch (to a non-clicking version) and the electronic module.

looks what I've been told is aload of B*ll*cks then.

I'm gonna try the other stalk and if that is incompatable then I'm going to have to bite the bullit and get Audi to code it (unless anyone has the answer?)

Interesting thread as I to dont like the locked position method, I'd much prefer the sprung loaded version.

So D is locked & F is sprung loaded, urm something to play with now & see if can be done, its just a signal to the steering ecu via contacts so coding issue maybe the kiddy for that method or could even be signal to the 09 board.

Another thing is, can we actually find someone that has the sprung loaded method as I want to know if they still have the pull to flash option as theoretically its not needed is it as flashing isnt something we need given not legal IIRC.

Thinking aloud, I wonder if its the principle the pull to flash would only work on the newer style stalk when the headlights arent turned on, where as currently we can flash main beam at any headlight on/off state, this is a question to the person with 8P & sprung loaded stalk.

I've just had another look at my copy of the parts catalogue (revision 751) and if I select a 2009 MY A3 it only lists the main beam switch as being 8P0 953 519 D. No mention of a version F.

Also listed is a part 8P0 953 549 F which is 'electronic module for steering combination switch' and this version is valid from 25/05/09. So this module is dated later than my A3 was made. Perhaps this module has the 'non-clicking' main beam already used on some of the other Audi models.

I assume I would have to change both the switch (to a non-clicking version) and the electronic module.

Think you've been on the sherbets Dave cause slightly wrong info, the 8P0953519D is the wiper stalk for 09-10 8P's, not headlight stalk & the 8P0953549F has been available for number of years showing from 04-10 on the 8P, TT & R8 as this is the one we suggest for the MFSW mod along with the D slip ring.

On further checks the 8P0953513F headlight stalk/cruise kit isnt showing up in ATP for any cars, if you search with the part number its there but cant match against a car, I even went into different cars aswell & still cant find it there, so something is very strange indeed, but I'm using 751 & they're upto 756 I believe, so could be a typo by Lexcomm as also the RHD S3 gear unit isnt showing up on there catalogue either as yet even though its present given my S3 stronic gearknob mod investigations turned that catalogue error.

Requires more investigations I think as according to all quarters it shouldnt exist on any car, lol, gonna chat to Mitch@audi monday.

I much preferred the B6 S4 headlight stalk as indicator was smooth & not so clunky when you actually switch it up or down, might check if can fit aswell.

Hi Nigel, every thing works as it should do on my cruise/indicator stalk 8P0 953 513 F 9B9 except for the fact that the main beam won't click forward and stay on. If I push it forward it flashes the lights and if I pull it backwards it flashes the lights. This suggests thats it mechanical, however knowing my luck its gonna be a coding issue and I be in he same place as my DRL problem.

Just a note regarding parts, I originally got the above part number from Stoke Audi, I ordered it from my local Audi dealership in Shrewsbury who confirmed the same part number and after the problem I telephoned Stafford Audi who also confirmed the part number as F for my chasis. I then used Igdos's chasis number and that came back as a 8P0 853 513 D 9B9. If Dave's cars was built later whats going on !!!!

The parts guy at shrewsbury Audi said that tha stalk I have is the same part number as the A5 and he showed me on on the forecourt, that was spring loaded and main beam came on when pushed forward (returned to its original position) and it also flashed when pulled backwards.

Yes your right. It should be the 8P0 953 513 not 519. And I've got a new pair of glasses as well. I blame the optician!

I also did a search if the 513 F and it came up as a part but I couldn't find any car that was using it either.

I'm sure it will be the 8P0 953 549 F module that will do all the work. The difference between the switches is probably just whether it holds in the down position or not.

Do you have any idea how much a replacement switch and module would cost. My A3 Sportback is an SE so it also has the MFSW as well. Don't know if this makes any difference.

The revision 751 is the latest version available on the US myTouareg.info website I use but that was dated 19 May 2009 so perhaps they are having trouble getting hold of the updates for some reason.

The parts guy at shrewsbury Audi said that tha stalk I have is the same part number as the A5 and he showed me on on the forecourt, that was spring loaded and main beam came on when pushed forward (returned to its original position) and it also flashed when pulled backwards.

Looking at ETKA the A5 seems to have a switch with the number 8K0 953 502 followed by a single or two letters. Seems to have the required function but not the same switch.

Hi Nigel, every thing works as it should do on my cruise/indicator stalk 8P0 953 513 F 9B9 except for the fact that the main beam won't click forward and stay on. If I push it forward it flashes the lights and if I pull it backwards it flashes the lights. This suggests thats it mechanical, however knowing my luck its gonna be a coding issue and I be in he same place as my DRL problem.

Just a note regarding parts, I originally got the above part number from Stoke Audi, I ordered it from my local Audi dealership in Shrewsbury who confirmed the same part number and after the problem I telephoned Stafford Audi who also confirmed the part number as F for my chasis. I then used Igdos's chasis number and that came back as a 8P0 853 513 D 9B9. If Dave's cars was built later whats going on !!!!

Yeah I understand your issues mate, but dont think its mechanical issues here & I think they've given you the wrong part tbh mate, please pm your chassis number so I can ask my mate mitch to see if its correct against your car.

The A5 does not have the same part number at all mate, they start 8K0 & I've checked from release to 2010, isnt showing it & 751 is not that old tbh, we'll see monday.

I'm sure it will be the 8P0 953 549 F module that will do all the work.

Do you have any idea how much a replacement switch and module would cost. My A3 Sportback is an SE so it also has the MFSW as well. Don't know if this makes any difference.

The revision 751 is the latest version available on the US myTouareg.info website I use but that was dated 19 May 2009 so perhaps they are having trouble getting hold of the updates for some reason.

Steering ecu has now changed to be solely the F version as we have used to upgrade for the mfsw & cruise on cars, audi seem to be using some common sense with just making one module for specific areas of the car now instead of 20, lol, saves alot of money in time making aswell, so I would hazard a guess Dave yours is this one so would do all functions available on the 8P & from memory the steering ecu price is about £130 but I dont think you need one at all.

& no doubt mrtouareg is probably on a break as he's done this before, he'll update the site soon enough, he always does.

PM sent Nigel.

I hope I haven't mis=quoted the parts guy, but he definately got the keys to an A5 and showed me it working, it looked similar anyway. :whistle2:

Thanks

Steering ecu has now changed to be solely the F version as we have used to upgrade for the mfsw & cruise on cars, audi seem to be using some common sense with just making one module for specific areas of the car now instead of 20, lol, saves alot of money in time making aswell, so I would hazard a guess Dave yours is this one so would do all functions available on the 8P & from memory the steering ecu price is about £130 but I dont think you need one at all.

I have an up-to-date copy of VAG.COM on my laptop so I'll connect it up tomorrow to see if it gives me the details on the steering module. If all I need is the switch then that should be quite straight forward to change. Do you know how much the latest type of switch costs?

If it turns out that the stalk I have got is right (8P0 953 513 f 9B9) is correct then it was £44.67 + VAT

But then its a coding issue.

Looking forward to see what Nigel turns up.

Nigel - as your in the know with an Audi guy, if VDS works in a similar way as Audi's computer, can you ask him if he can find out what the coding would be?

Cheers

Neil

PM sent Nigel.

I hope I haven't mis=quoted the parts guy, but he definately got the keys to an A5 and showed me it working, it looked similar anyway. :whistle2:

Thanks

We will see monday, but has he just maybe said this is how the part works to show functionality or did he actually say the part number is identical to the part number on the A5, cause if the latter then this is wrong given what etka shows us now, its not beyond possibility our etka is wrong though given they have almost live feeds & will do soon enough when it goes web based, but Mitch finds anomolys everyday in etka upto date aswell, but I dont see it, but I as always like to be proved wrong so learn more.

I have an up-to-date copy of VAG.COM on my laptop so I'll connect it up tomorrow to see if it gives me the details on the steering module. If all I need is the switch then that should be quite straight forward to change. Do you know how much the latest type of switch costs?

Yeah check in 17 mate see what part number you have as be interested to see what else audi have fecked up tbh as my car has wiring that it shouldnt have but was bonus for me when I did my cluster upgrade.

But wouldnt do anything yet mate interms of changing the stalk as its an anomoly that we need to answer 1st.

But then its a coding issue.

Looking forward to see what Nigel turns up.

Nigel - as your in the know with an Audi guy, if VDS works in a similar way as Audi's computer, can you ask him if he can find out what the coding would be

Mitch doesnt deal with that side but Steve master tech does, but something you have to realise & alot of others do which is why I dont call them stealers anymore, 1st they get very small discounts on alot of parts as I have seen there prices to buy in so I now respect there position more interms of pricing for parts that is, but mostly the coding side of things.

eg. Audi have locked engineers out of the cars so much these days its even hard for them to get into some things, reason, audi know in germany what a car has to have from stock, so they hold all the coding there & any new modules or upgrades seem to be done all over the web from germany so any new modules & ecu work etc is done by preset codings, audi's thoughts are this is how we sold the car it should never have to change, well unless the car owner is a member of this site that is or his name is Nigel, which is why Mitch doesnt bother with my chassis number anymore, lol

So for me this was very enlightening when I went to do my cluster upgrade as they couldnt fix a fault that I could cause the technicians dont have access to certain areas, so I'll ask & at same time check myself.

We will see monday, but has he just maybe said this is how the part works to show functionality or did he actually say the part number is identical to the part number on the A5, cause if the latter then this is wrong given what etka shows us now, its not beyond possibility our etka is wrong though given they have almost live feeds & will do soon enough when it goes web based, but Mitch finds anomolys everyday in etka upto date aswell, but I dont see it, but I as always like to be proved wrong so learn more.

God only knows now Nigel, my minds so F**ked up and I'm on my third Baccardi now. He could of said its the same part as on an A5.

I can't knock the guy though he was very helpful.

As a side note I telephoned Wolverhamton Audi and the parts guy would'nt give me any help, he just said that retro fit cruise control would cost in the region of £500 fitted. :wtf:

and he said I'd need a new steering wheel control module without takin any details

Had a thought Neil, did you say you bought a kit from audi or seperate parts for this as I'm wondering if its a retrofit kit with that specific part number that has number of parts within this kit, as they have these in part 0 of etka, which is why it doesnt specifically show up sometimes with a certain car, if you knew audi & etka as much as Mitch & me have before you'd totally see how its possible, just speculating presently but its a thought given if its a kit not seperate parts.

No, not a kit. I ordered the parts separately and they each came in their own box.

Nigel

I've just run VCDS on my car and this is the details of the Steering wheel module:

Address 16: Steering wheel Labels: 8P0-953-549-F.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 953 549 F HW: 8P0 953 549 F
Component: J0527 H36 0070
Coding: 0012142
Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000

Part No: XXXXXXXXXXX
Component: E0221 H02 0030

No fault code found.

So it seems that my steering wheel module is the F version, which is the same code as my previous 2007 A3. I must admit the details in ETKA are a little confusing anyway and I'm not sure if it is say the D version is up to 25/5/09 or from 25/5/09. I suspects it means FROM 25/5/09 which means mine does not have the latest version. This means I would need to change both the module and the switch.

What I will do is to visit my dealer and see if they have a new A3 and check the operation of the dip switch. If it is the spring return type I will ask them if they will let me connect my laptop and just check the steering wheel module part number. I'm sure they will be happy for me to do that. Once before when I was there one of their Master Technicians was quite interested in my VCDS compared with their normal diagnostic kit.

Also you mentioned about security codes on some modules. On my previous 2007 A3 I used VCDS to change the headlights to Tourist mode but when I looked at that whilst I had it connected to my laptop this morning it seems that I would need a security code to do the same of my new A3.

For comparison this is my VDS reading for address 16:-

Address 16: Steering wheel Labels: 8P0-953-549-F.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 953 549 F HW: 8P0 953 549 F
Component: J0527 H36 0070
Coding: 0002041
Shop #: WSC 01236 785 00200
Part No: XXXXXXXXXXX
Component: E0221 H02 0030

The same!!

As I said, they now use the single steering ecu instead of many, cause etka shows just one & both your cars which are facelifts show the same one, makes sense tbh, so they're all F, tomorrow will hopefully shed some light

Mitch is on the case so when we know where that part comes from etc then we can look into fitment or not.

Update:

I have edited my post to reflect that the part does come up on 8P cabs & others, Mitch got the part to come up on the TT, A3 & R8 given they share the same parts to a degree from 07 onwards.

The part doesnt come up on A5 or anyothers for that matter, so something is amiss with our etka installs or the 752-756 updates correct this, time will tell.

But to add, Mitch checked & the audi system shows no dealer has ever ordered one, there are none in stock & it doesnt look like its been used on any of them cars atm, as Mitch says I'm the only one to find the anomoly's in the system, but its a valid part so fair play to the parts guy.

Still need to find someone with one on there car though, so will post up the request.

I think its either a part thats made that isnt actually used or coding issues, so I will be checking vag later to see if I can see anything obvious.

Also the F steering ecu does appear to be the sole one they use now, well thats currently what it shows anyway, so this even more says its coding or part isnt used.

Nigel. Before you were involved I had already sent a PM to frenchy2475, who I undersatnd works in an Audi parts department about the swiches and the module and he has very kindly sent me these details...

Hi dave I have ETKA revision 756 and the 8P0 953 549F is up to 25.05.2009 they list an 8P0 953 549K for 25.05.2009 onwards. £132.93 for the 'F' and 124.17 for the 'K'.

The switches are 8P0 953 513D 9B9 thats up to 05.2009 and 8P0 953 513F 9B9 for 06.2009 onwards.£57.83 for the 'D' and £54.07 for the 'F'

Im not sure about the clicking and non-clicking versions, never really noticed it tbh Dave. But im sure some of the bods on here will be able to tell you.

So what we have to do now is to check if the latest A3s have a 'spring return' dip switch or not. I shall have to visit my local dealer tomorrow and see if they have one in the showroom or being PDI'd in the workshop.

I have just checked and the 'mytouareg' website now has updates 752-757 available so I will update my copy and see if it tells me anything different.

The plot thickens!!

Good old frenchie, I'll ring Mitch now mate to check what he sees as if this is the case then I might get the K & test.

Be nice to get upto 756 as seems we are missing this data.

Urrrmmm just thinking, why is the K cheaper, funny that.

Ah again just checked etka & the K comes up as a part but not on a car, 752-756 scouring continues.

I have just checked and the 'mytouareg' website now has updates 752-757 available so I will update my copy and see if it tells me anything different.

The plot thickens!!

You little *****, lol, go on then hurry up as I am stuck on 751 with an install error so will reinstall later.

I've now updated to 757 and it shows it just as frenchy says. The F version of the module up to 25/5/09 and the K version from then onwards.

All we need to do know if find a car built after 25/5/09 and see how the dip switch behaves. Mind you it may be that the K version will work correctly with either the spring return switch or the click into place switch.

Neil, before I re-replace lol my post with the parts guy is an idiot, I have just spoken to Mitch again & he put your chassis in mate & he came up with the C switch for your car, not the F, so think maybe someone has screwed up somewhere & the K ecu & F kit come out about 2 weeks apart & he said its strange they came out seperately, so coding maybe the thing, but I'm considering buying the parts but as they're not in stock at audi anyway its a case of suck it & see as cant return these ones, £200 to find doesnt work, urrmmmmmmmm

I've now updated to 757 and it shows it just as frenchy says. The F version of the module up to 25/5/09 and the K version from then onwards.

All we need to do know if find a car built after 25/5/09 and see how the dip switch behaves. Mind you it may be that the K version will work correctly with either the spring return switch or the click into place switch.

When you ATP does it now show them against a list of cars aswell mate?

When you ATP does it now show them against a list of cars aswell mate?

Well you learn something new everyday, especially on ASN.

I've never tried ATP before but I just have for the module and the switch.

For the module 8P0 953 549 K version it lists
A3 2009-2010
A3CA 2009-1200
ATT 2007-2010
TTRS 2010-2010

For the switch 8P0 953 513 F version it lists
A3 2009-2010
A3CA 2009-2010
ATT 2007-2010
R8 2007-2010
TTRS 2010-2010

Seems like the A3 2009-2010 is in good company!!

Just checked a brand new 'A' chassis car 2010my and it has the different one position spring loaded switch and has the 8P0 953 549K control module.

Frenchy, you know I love yer, lol, in a non man love way of course, lol.

Did it also have MFSW & Cruise?

For the module 8P0 953 549 K version it lists

ATT 2007-2010
For the switch 8P0 953 513 F version it lists
ATT 2007-2010
R8 2007-2010

Interesting as I never saw the K module listed in etka until now & even if it was available from 07 for the TT it only comes up with ATP now with updates 752-757 & if the K & F were available for the 07 TT then it would be on ATP way before 09, if you get my point.

Why does it only show up now as even with update 751 it should be present & I couldnt find on a certain car either.

Interesting as I never saw the K module listed in etka until now & even if it was available from 07 for the TT it only comes up with ATP now with updates 752-757 & if the K & F were available for the 07 TT then it would be on ATP way before 09, if you get my point.

Why does it only show up now as even with update 751 it should be present & I couldnt find on a certain car either.

Could it be that Audi have only just decided that the latest versions are OK to use on the earlier TT and R8 models altough they were fitted with the earlier versions of the modules when they were built.

Thanks for checking a 2010MY car for us frenchy. It confirms that the lastest cars have the 'spring return' dip switch and the K version of the module. All I have to do now is decide if it's worth the cost of changing both the switch and the module to get the spring return dip function. I must admit it's the one thing that I have disliked about my A3s. It's only money after all!!!

Nigel, I'm not sure where you are but is changing these items something you could do for me - for payment of course. I'm not sure I fancy removing the steering wheel and air-bag myself. It's been a long time since I did anything like that although I did used to change wheels, stereos etc years ago. Must be getting old!!