S3 Mirror Paint Blistering

Roswell

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you have had any problems with the paint on your S3 mirrors.

I just washed the car (58 plate) with Jeffs Auto Body Wash and just as I was drying her off I noticed that the drivers side mirror has a load of small blisters on the top. I'm well ****** off :(

Here's a photo of said blisters:

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq335/Roswell2008/P1030316.jpg

Be under warrenty won't they.

Take it back and get some sparkly new ones :)

chrome wheels do the same after a bit ... whats your normal rue-teen wash and dry or do you wax the mirrors with a protector

I can understand stuff like this happening after a while but it is only 7 months old. Today I just washed her and dried her off. No wax or polish or anything else.

ive got chrome wheels well they have a metalic surface and to protect em i wax em with meg 2.0 tech the water just runs of iff you get new mirrors id put some sort of protector on them next time because chrome especially in winter has a tendency to mess up .... ive never herd of mirrors doing it though

Tell em you wash it only with cold water if they ask...

ive got chrome wheels well they have a metalic surface and to protect em i wax em with meg 2.0 tech the water just runs of iff you get new mirrors id put some sort of protector on them next time because chrome especially in winter has a tendency to mess up .... ive never herd of mirrors doing it though

The thing is these mirrors are plastic and it's only an aluminium look paint on them.

its like a chrome coating you need to protect the next ones as they will just bubble after the weather gets a grip on em... water in bad weather somehow gets under the chrome and this is why they bubble the same happens to alloys if you coat em with a protecter you should be fine and just wash with hot water the mirrors anyhow then wax em .... just say to the garage you just wash the car when you wash the mirrors you use just water cos of the chrome casing and stick to it ... they should replace em

Never heard of others having probs with them....

Maybe its just a faulty one.... if it isn't both that are effected I can't see it being your cleaner....

Yeah it might be just a faulty one, the process for painting them is complicated, looks like there is something underneath it.

I've see a lot of trim go that way on scooters I MOT - always on Aprillia's as they are well, Italian built LOL. Strange to see it on an Audi!

Sounds like there could have been some moisture trapped in there and when the sun heats the mirror cover it bubbles. I have never heard of any other people having problems with theirs so I would guess its a one off. Definitely a warrantee item though. Unfortunately i think Audi's build quality is not what it used to be. I have had mine 6 months now and have had a lower door trim not fitted properly, folding mirrors not fitted at all,paint flaking off the rear valance and both door cards split at the bottom where the screws go

It will be the acid rain in Glasgow LOL, seriously though I'd be back to Audi & get them both changed.

Definately agree with the above that is moisture under the paint,it will probably appear and then vanish again when weather warms up and it dries

i am sure your local dealer will sort it,. my s line badge on my steering wheel wore off, and they replaced the whole thing

I was actually at my dealers today about a similar issue. My car is 7 months old and only 4500miles. I noticed when I was washing mine that they seem to have tarnishing on them and a bit dull.

Both are being replaced under warranty as you just dont know which one is correct.:icon_thumright:

seem audi are cutting corners getting more greedy is it me or is every company out there goin this way ...............

Update finally!

Had the car in for a service and had them look at the mirrors. They are replacing them under warranty no problem. So all's good!! :)