Badger5Sky Insurance

Thread: Optional extras

Reverse Gear

Status

Optional extras

I am thinking of buying a A3 1.9 TDIe and there seems to be a fair amount of optional extras to choose from. Any tips on any good ones to take up or those that are a waste of money?
    Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

R15 - TDI Power

Status
    Not sure if I could live without my automatic lights!
    A3 Sport 2.0 TDI 140 Sportback DSG - Silver Metalic - Beige Vienna Leather - Aluminium Roof Rails - Light & Rain Sensors - Phatnoise

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    my car has almost every extra for the year anyhow i think options i think are a must are
    xenons
    leather
    interior light pack
    rnse
    heated seats
    multifunction steering wheel
    blue tooth
    and maybe bose but you could fit your own ice
    dont get privacy glass get it done your self just my opinion...

there are more that you can have but to feel pretty good with your self id get the above you will be happy with the setup

I've just ordered a new 2.0TDI SE Sportback and added some 4620 worth of extras...

The list is:
    Metallic paint
    17x7.5J 16-spoke alloys and 225/45 tyres
    Concert radio
    iPod connection in glovebox
    Electric drivers seat controls plus lumbar support
    Acounstic parking system - rear
    External door mirrors - electrically folding
    Light and rain sensor pack including auto dimming mirrors
    Cruise control
    Interior lighting pack
    Luggage pack
    Non-smoking pack
    Storage pack
    Through-load system
    Adaptive Xenon Headlights.

I have all these on my existing Sportback and personally I would not want to be without any of them - hence they have been added to my new one.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

(●̮̮̃̃) (●̮̮̃̃)

Status
    rnse is good but dont get it as an extra.

just spec the standard double din stereo the retro fit the rnse when you get the car..save you loads of money

5th Gear

Status
    BOSE
    Front Centre Armrest

Cruise Control. Nice if you are going to be doing long motorway miles - I dont have it and dont do many motorway journeys but wish I had it everytime I do!

Stuff like autolights and wipers are probably nice but are you really not capable of being able to think for yourself when its time to flick the wiper stalk up/turn the headlight dial round when its raining and/or gone dark... its not something I ever find myself thinking I wish I had anyway.

I've got the ipod connection but its a waste of money, stay clear.
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Also spec the light/rain sensor pack with folding/dimming mirrors mate, for 400 its definitely worth the money cause to do aftermarket is hell of alot & also I wouldnt live without the dimming mirrors rear & sides, xenons are also a must, wont have car without, others are down to you as some are retro afterwards cheaper tbh, but cheaper options I'd just get audi to do mate, rns etc do yourself.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

2nd Gear

Status
    Auto lights for sure - not so much for the lights (never use them myself, do use the auto wipers tho), but for the auto dimming mirrors.

Cruise if you do a lot of motorway driving at quiet times.

Others are less important IMO.

6th Gear

Status
    You got to have xenons and leather imo.

Arm rest is a must as well.

i would also like heated seats. That would do me tbh :D

With a diesel - i think a DSG is a must :D
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too

2nd Gear

Status
    I don't like the armrest - mine spends all its time folded up.
    S3 (8V) S-Tronic Estoril Blue; A3 2.0TFSI S-Line quattro, Dolphin Grey [sold]

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for all your responses, although I might have to organise a whip round to get all the extras recommended.
    Interesting reading though, cheers.

automatic

Status
    If I was speccing one from new I'd want cruise, armrest, heated seats at least...oh and some decent wheels

I hardly ever use the "opensky" wotsit so I doubt I'd bother having it again, parking sensors are a bit 'meh' because the car is hardly big, RNS is nice but far cheaper to do afterwards
    Still loving the 130i like the sideways dirtbag I am

New A3 on Order

Status
    Upgrade to the Sport trim at least anyway that gives you lots of stuff, Normally the Sport costs 1175 but Audi are given it away free at the moment on the 1.9TDIe.

This Gives you
    Dual Cliamte Control
    Arm Rest
    Better CD Player with Active Speakers (Concert)
    Fog Lights
    Nicer Looking Alloys 17" Alloys
    Sports Seats
    DIS
    Lower Suspension
    Rear Sun Blind

On Top of the Sport pack i added
    Folding Mirrors
    I Pod Link
    Light Pack
    Sotorage Pack

And Once i get it i will be retro Fitting the following as its cheaper:
    Sat Nav (RNSE)
    Cruise Control
    and Xenon HID's
    A3 1.9TDIe in Red On order.
    Sport Pack, I Pod, Folding Mirrors, Light Pack, Storage Pack, De badged. Should be here June.

Quote Originally Posted by Flibble View Post
    I don't like the armrest - mine spends all its time folded up.
    I agree. Mine is only used to store my TomTom out of sight. I comes as standard on the SE otherwise I would not have one.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Upgrade to the Sport trim at least anyway that gives you lots of stuff, Normally the Sport costs 1175 but Audi are given it away free at the moment on the 1.9TDIe.

This Gives you
    Dual Cliamte Control
    Arm Rest
    Better CD Player with Active Speakers (Concert)
    Fog Lights
    Nicer Looking Alloys 17" Alloys
    Sports Seats
    DIS
    Lower Suspension
    Rear Sun Blind

On Top of the Sport pack i added
    Folding Mirrors
    I Pod Link
    Light Pack
    Sotorage Pack

And Once i get it i will be retro Fitting the following as its cheaper:
    Sat Nav (RNSE)
    Cruise Control
    and Xenon HID's
    Personally I would add xenons as a facory fit as it wont be cheaper to fit them properly once you factor in the new headlamp units, ballast and washer system. Unless your just going to fit a HID kit which would be a shame on a new car.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

New A3 on Order

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
    Personally I would add xenons as a facory fit as it wont be cheaper to fit them properly once you factor in the new headlamp units, ballast and washer system. Unless your just going to fit a HID kit which would be a shame on a new car.
    The Problem with Xenons is that on the Sport model they are 980 quid as they come with the adaptive conering lights, If i could have just had the normal Xenons it would have been fine. I have conering anc Xenons on my current car and the cornering lights are awful, they make the Mrs Feel a little sea sick too.
    Sport Pack, I Pod, Folding Mirrors, Light Pack, Storage Pack, De badged. Should be here June.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I cant say enough praise about the adaptives since I installed, they're great for back roads & turns etc, I would be worried if it makes her sick whilst driving mate, not being funny, being serious, but does she wear glasses, maybe her eyes are playing up, something worth checking as I get similar issues at night tbh sometimes, even before I fitted the adaptives, its down to the eyes/neck not the lights, eye muscles etc as I suffer from bad neck & the muscles seem to effect above my eyes alot.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

SilverSport
    Rear parking sensors for me.
    Purely because the only thing that is worse than an A3 when it comes to rear view is a van with no back windows!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
    Rear parking sensors for me.
    Purely because the only thing that is worse than an A3 when it comes to rear view is a van with no back windows!
    I can't agree more, whenever i reverse, I think i'm so close to the lamp post, but when I get out and have a look, there is so much space left!
    Audi A3 (2005) 2.0 TDI Sport Quattro (140/ST3) 8P2
    RNS-E (2009 Map) & Cruise Control Installed!

SilverSport
    Quote Originally Posted by a_sagad View Post
    I can't agree more, whenever i reverse, I think i'm so close to the lamp post, but when I get out and have a look, there is so much space left!
    lol, done that many times!
    Thing is, I still don't have total faith in the sensors yet.
    At the point that the beeps become one long beeeeeep, looking out of the back window it looks like I've already mounted the bonnet of the car behind, Big Foot stylee!!
    The stress that I feel when reversing and listening to those beeps can only be likened to that of a bomb deactivator. I expect a bang at any moment!

I'm still learning to trust them, but I'm getting there
    Last edited by SilverSport; 3rd April 2009 at 14:02.

New A3 on Order

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    I cant say enough praise about the adaptives since I installed, they're great for back roads & turns etc, I would be worried if it makes her sick whilst driving mate, not being funny, being serious, but does she wear glasses, maybe her eyes are playing up, something worth checking as I get similar issues at night tbh sometimes, even before I fitted the adaptives, its down to the eyes/neck not the lights, eye muscles etc as I suffer from bad neck & the muscles seem to effect above my eyes alot.
    No shes fine dosent wear specs, i think its the sensation as she fine in the other cars, Maybe its becuase of how i drive. Shes not the best passenger in the world and finds it better driving, but shes not allowed to touch my cars lol.

I think what she does is focus on the light beam and thats when it gets her.

If i could have had the option that they do on the S Line then i would have got it without a doubt.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I've just ordered a new 2.0TDI SE Sportback and added some 4620 worth of extras...
    So it's now costing you 25k?

It's your money but personally I think it's ridiculous to spend near enough 5k on options on a 20k car...

Typical Audi though... specs are bare and options add up to ALOT! You are getting on for S3 money there.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dogzilla View Post

It's your money but personally I think it's ridiculous to spend near enough 5k on options on a 20k car...

Typical Audi though... specs are bare and options add up to ALOT! You are getting on for S3 money there.
    huh, you'd be hard pushed to buy an Audi and not end up spending 3k on extras, so 5k is hardly ridiculous!

People like the creature comforts, and barring 1 or 2 on the list, I wouldn't want to live without them either.
    www.SubZerosystems.co.uk - IT Consultancy

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    must be something wrong with your sensors i wait till the tone is constant and im close to the car behind they work great .... do you take drugs lol only joking

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
    lol, done that many times!
    Thing is, I still don't have total faith in the sensors yet.
    At the point that the beeps become one long beeeeeep, looking out of the back window it looks like I've already mounted the bonnet of the car behind, Big Foot stylee!!
    The stress that I feel when reversing and listening to those beeps can only be likened to that of a bomb deactivator. I expect a bang at any moment!

I'm still learning to trust them, but I'm getting there

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by klauster View Post
    huh, you'd be hard pushed to buy an Audi and not end up spending 3k on extras, so 5k is hardly ridiculous!
    Thats what annoyed me when we part exed our car you find that all the extras make no difference to the value of the car. The only two that make any difference to the dealers are metallic paint and Bose. The rest add no value but help it sell quicker.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

Quote Originally Posted by dogzilla View Post

It actually only costing 22k when you take the discount into account.

It may be a lot on options but that's exactly what they are - Options and at least I have the choice. This way I am getting exactly what I want, rather than what some marketing chap thinks I want. Better than Audi including everything in the basic spec and charging 25k for the car in the first place.

As for getting close to a S3 price most of the options I want would be options on an S3 as well and an S3 is the last car I would want! If that was all the Audi could offer I would be looking elsewhere.
    Dave R (h5djr)

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    id rather pay extra to get the extras rather than some basic shyt your not happy with with some clik clak speakers no cruise control no sat nav ...i want to get in a car i pay 20 g plus for and say ****, thats what im talking about,,,, not pull up to other audis and go wish i got that wish i got this its probly the best part of getting the car all the luxury thats thrown in you wana feel good about your motor id rather pay the extra 50 a month to have that

SilverSport
    Quote Originally Posted by 10blazin View Post
    must be something wrong with your sensors i wait till the tone is constant and im close to the car behind they work great .... do you take drugs lol only joking

No, mine do work great too. When the beep goes constant it just looks like I am on top of the car behind, but in reality i've still got a foot to go.
    Duh! lol