Badger5Chris Nott
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reverse Gear

Status

Scratched Sat Nav Screen

Guys,
    I've scratched my Sat Nav screen when cleaning it at the weekend and was wondering if anybody knew what I could do to repair it?

There's a firm on Ebay that repairs/replaces them for 250 in London but I'm in Lancashire and dont want to throw that kind of money around if there is a better alternative.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Makinen...ha

Status
    is it called plastic-x or somethin that megs does?

2 mins ill go look

Tom

EDIT: Its called plastX about 5-7 quid a bottle, definitely worth a try id say

First site i seen on it...

http://www.twenga.co.uk/dir-Cars-Mot...h-repair-12971
    Last edited by Tommy; 30th March 2009 at 21:04.

5th Gear

Status
    A few people have used Megs Scratch-x on them but this looses the anti-dazzle coating on the screen i.e the matt effect.

5th Gear

Status
    Sorry yeah plastic-x product not scratch-x

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yes this is true, the plastic cleaner can take of most scratches but removes the matt glare film which some have said is better, but if its actually scratched the screen then you can replace & if not confident send it to me with a screen I will replace for you, I can always try & find a screen for it, I'm sure can get screen & change for less than 250 mate.

PM if want me to look for you.
    Last edited by NHN; 30th March 2009 at 21:17.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

audi a3 s line 2009 model

Status
    is it under warranty (the car) if it was me i would somehow make one of the buttons come off and take it back to the dealer

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    yeah but they would just put a new one on ....lol just jam a dimp into the cd slot with a screw driver imagine after they replace yours then open yoursand see that id piss myself

Last edited by 10blazin; 30th March 2009 at 23:45.

audi a3 s line 2009 model

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 10blazin View Post
    yeah but they would just put a new one on ....lol just jam a dimp into the cd slot with a screw driver imagine after they replace yours then open yoursand see that id piss myself

not really mate

my s line steering wheel has a little badge that reads s line at the bottom of the wheels, the paint has slightly faded,

i mentioned it to my local dealer, rather than replacing the badge they replaced the whole wheel,

i dont think they will be able to replace one button

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Just this weekend I used this:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine.../prod_283.html

to clear all (and I mean all!) the scratches off my RNS-E. Yes it does take off the anti-glare coating but it looks so much better with it off, and does not get fingerprints/marks all over the screen now!

It is a bit more reflective but nothing too bad, i've just turned the screen brighness up a bit and its fine!

It really works but takes a while to get all the coating off and its good to have a few cotton wool buds to get into the corners of the screen!

S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

5th Gear

Status
    Any pics of it in its new shiney format?

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by edition View Post
    Any pics of it in its new shiney format?
    Not yet mate, i'll try to get some for you today...
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

5th Gear

Status
    Cool cheers for that

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeah I'd be intrigued about this aswell if its much better.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks everyone.
    Must admit that I would be very nervous of taking a layer off the screen but if thats the only way then thats it.
    If i could see a picture after the treatment that would be great.
    I scratched it on Sunday and I'm still livid. she keeps saying 'its only a car'.

Its not though is it.

cheers everyone

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Yeah I'd be intrigued about this aswell if its much better.
    Me too. MF-Racing get some pics up quick - we're all agog here.
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Iggu,
    With all that stuff done to your car (349BHP), how much faster to 60? 70 to 100?
    Whats the score with your warranty at the dealers?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazenator View Post
    Iggu,
    With all that stuff done to your car (349BHP), how much faster to 60? 70 to 100?
    Whats the score with your warranty at the dealers?
    Hi mate.
    0-60 about 4.9 - maybe less if I really gave the clutch some stick which I'm not keen to do.
    Warranty - no idea as nothing has gone wrong (touch wood). I hope I never find out !
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks mate,
    Wish mine was faster sometimes but, as i do 20k per year using it for work purposes, i'm terrified of upsetting the nice but dim at my local friendly Audi centre!
    I clocked my 0-60 at about 6+ seconds. gutted!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazenator View Post
    Thanks mate,
    Wish mine was faster sometimes but, as i do 20k per year using it for work purposes, i'm terrified of upsetting the nice but dim at my local friendly Audi centre!
    I clocked my 0-60 at about 6+ seconds. gutted!
    Just get a straight Revo remap mate. 499 - massive gains in power (you'll see about 315bhp) and you can turn it off if you visit a dealer so they'll never know. No hardware changes at all. It will transform the car and get you to around 5.5 0-60 no problem. See www.revotechnik.com
    Last edited by Iggu; 31st March 2009 at 22:25.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks Iggu, i'll have a look.
    We need to show the new Ford RS boys who's the Daddy!

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Here you go guys, its very difficult to get the effect with my rubbish camera but I think you can see how clear the screen is and the level of reflection on this picture?

Build Thread Here!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MF-Racing View Post
    Here you go guys, its very difficult to get the effect with my rubbish camera but I think you can see how clear the screen is and the level of reflection on this picture?

Wow !
    I'm getting some.
    Thanks for this.

Status
    Can you buy protection film for the RNS-E screens like for mobile phone screens?

If so, some of them have anti reflective coatings.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

5th Gear

Status
    Thats useful!

Could you take a pic of the unit turned off?

Cheers!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warrencox View Post
    Can you buy protection film for the RNS-E screens like for mobile phone screens?

If so, some of them have anti reflective coatings.
    You can ! I'm all over this like a tramp on a hot sandwich.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scree...fAudioQ5fVideo

5th Gear

Status
    You bought one of those Iggu???

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by edition View Post
    You bought one of those Iggu???
    Yep.

5th Gear

Status
    Let us know how you get on!

I have a scratch that i think will go if i were to polish it.... but i want to keep the matt effect (that coating should sort that out!)

Have you fitted it yet?

Status
    Thanks Iggu, just bought one so will be cleaning the screen and fitting when it arrives! (11.40 inc. postage from the US at current conversion rate)
    Last edited by warren_S5; 1st April 2009 at 11:55.

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks Iggu, just bought one so will be cleaning the screen and fitting when it arrives! (11.40 inc. postage from the US at current conversion rate)
    Exactly the same - let's hope its good.
    Reviews seem full of praise for it and for that price I'm not too fussed if it isn't perfect.

2nd Gear

Status
    Seriously?? Your going to sheen up yer screens?? looool

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WiZBiT View Post
    Seriously?? Your going to sheen up yer screens?? looool
    I have no scratches on mine so I am just going to clean it with a screen cleaning cloth / spray that I have for our LCD TV, then apply it. I need to get some Plastic-X for my headlights though as they look a bit worn (I'll be buying film for them next).

2nd Gear

Status
    The headlights do attracts crap that seems very hard to remove, though it does come off with a claybar IME. Good luck on the sprucage

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Sorry for the delay guys, havnet had chance to take a pic with the unit off, I'll try to get one ASAP.

I'd be intrested to here about this film once you have fitted it?

Thanks
    Matt :D

Build Thread Here!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MF-Racing View Post
    Sorry for the delay guys, havnet had chance to take a pic with the unit off, I'll try to get one ASAP.

I'd be intrested to here about this film once you have fitted it?

Thanks
    Matt :D
    Was dispatched from the States today so hopefully will be here by early next week.

5th Gear

Status
    Was dispatched from the States today so hopefully will be here by early next week.
    Mine too - I got a very prompt and helpful email from a woman at the company telling me so. Impressive service.
    I'll be sure to update this thread with pics as I'm sure warrencox will too. Been bugging me for ages this so if its a fix it would be good to pass it on to other members here.

5th Gear

Status
    Yup waiting in antisipation!

5th Gear

Status
    Right - this works a treat.
    After vigorous application of the Plastic-X all the scratched coating comes off. The pictures aren't great but you can just about see the scratches in this "BEFORE" picture - it was a bit of a mess to be honest:

Then you need to thoroughly degrease the screen and ensure all the egdes are done before carefully applying the new screen cover ($12 from here: http://www.screenpatronus.com/screen...or-indash.html ). I'm aware that I need to go over the very edges with a pallet knife or something. Again the pics aren't great but I can assure you it is 100% better - I'm delighted with the results:

5th Gear

Status
    Looks very good!

Do you think those edges will stick down then?

New A3 on Order

Status
    great results that has come up very well
    A3 1.9TDIe in Red On order.
    Sport Pack, I Pod, Folding Mirrors, Light Pack, Storage Pack, De badged. Should be here June.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast