which wheels/what offset

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
My A3 SPORTBACK (sport model) is fitted with genuine 17's im thinking of going for some 18's (reps) can anyone tell me what they will look like as regards to the wheel -arch gap ?

My main concern is my original wheels are 7.5 j x 17 ET 56
What offset can i get away with without the new 18's fouling the car,i wanted ET54 OR 56 but cant manage to find any with that offset.

My car is the SPORT model.

rs4's or rs6's ?????? what you guys say

i got a new style rs4 reps at 19 inch they dont rub on sline they defo wont rub on sport springs .... either rs4 or rs6 in 18 inch will be fine on your car

the cars lookin gud youth! what difference will i have in the arch gap? will i have more gap with 18's? and do ya think the ride will be more harsh or wont it make a difference?

i had slightley more gap with 18s but 19s fill the arch better ... im getting it lowered on h+r springs in 2 week so should look much better.... as the ride yeah its a little more harsh.. but when i changed from 18s to 19s its really not that bad like some people say i can hardly notice any difference i had 30 psi in my 18s i got 29 in my 19s ...but s line springs ar stiff hope h+rs are the same or not to much stiffer.. my advice would be get some eibachs springs on your car there only about 130 quid from dpm on here get.. then get em fitted for about 150 to 200 your car will look much better for 300 quid then choose the alloys 18 or 19 inch but 19s do look better 18 look ok though if you lower the car so its your choice....

blazin, you rollin on 225's? they look skinny in that pic compared ot the usual 235/35/19?

And to answer the OP's question, 45 is the lowest offset you can run without looking stupid on the A3

yeah im running falkon fks 225 and are slightly thinner than 235s i dont want any rubbing ishues when i get the drop in 2 week...wish i had enough for coils but spring will do for now

The arch gap will physically remain the same.
Bigger wheel + thinner tyre = same rolling radius. Or at least you should otherwise your speedo will be out!

It might appear that the gap changes though but it is just an optical illusion.

depends what tires hes running dosent it ???? iff 235 tires are slighly thicker than 225s on 19s ...... bigger wheel radius slightly ?????

i though it was the profile is that why mine look slightly streched then mr olafia

Scottie is right

235/35 will have a bigger rolling radius that a 225/35 because 35 is a % of the width.

Therefore
35% of 225mm is 78.5mm
35% of 235mm which is 82.5mm

So the sidewall height on a 235mm is 4mm bigger giving the tyre an 8mm bigger diameter.

So if blazin had chose 235's instead of 225's, his car would sit exactly 4mm higher and we dont wnat to go raising a car now do we!? I've not checked but a bet 225 tyres are much closer in rolling radius to the original 225/40/18 than a 235 is? Therefore much more suitable

Also an added benefit is that they are 10mms slimmer giving you 5mm extra space each side of the wheel which can make or break a real lowering job.

Anyway I'm boring myself now! :redface:

i thought that but mr olafia said i was wrong ??? now im confused

i just read your post again thanks lee for that info i thought that myself i was told to get 225 thanks mate