Questions/Concerns... A3 FSI 2.0 Sport

A

allazey

Hi all, my first posting here...

Just taken ownership of a 2003 (53 plate) A3 FSI 2.0 Sport and have a couple of concerns. The car has only done 34k miles (allegedly, although all the past MOTs seem to support it) and has had one owner.

Here are my concerns...

1) The engine is more noisy than I expected. From inside the car I can't hear it idling. Outside the car it is very "ticky". Sounds nice and clean when revving it, but on idle it sounds very "tappity".
Been reading the forums and this seems to be common on Turbo FSI's... am I right? But on non-turbos is this normal??

2) When going over speed bumps at a 'normal speed bump speed' I have noticed a noise. It's hard to explain but is kinda like a scratching noise, as if you were to rub a bit of sandpaper on a piece of wood once! :wacko:
It's only when the front of the car goes over the bump (climbing up onto the bump, and coming down the other side of it), but the back on the car is silent. Any ideas???

3) The other day I started the car and I heard some beeps. Then all of a sudden I had a warning on the DIS "stop engine, check coolant levels". I turned engine off, check coolant and it was fine. Switched car back on, warning still there. Left the engine running and after about 5 seconds I could hear the engine fan switch on. Now there's no way the car could've been hot as it has been sitting parked for about 3 hours.
Anyway, switched off again, left the car for about 10mins, switched back on, warning gone!!
I had changed a rear light bulb during the time the car was first off. Longshot, but could that have caused a brief bit of electrical confusion for it??

4) When idling I can feel a slight vibration through the clutch pedal when resting my foot on it. It's not a smooth consistant vibration like a mobile phone vibrating, it's more like a slower random bubbling feeling. If I press the clutch it goes. Can't feel it through any of the other pedals, and there is no vibration anywhere else in the car i.e. steering, gearknob, etc.
I have also noticed that there is vibration when I pull off in first gear. This is more like a mobile phone vibration, but it only present as you engage and pull off. It's gone as soon as the clutch is fully up and you're driving using the gas pedal only.
Is this "clutch judder"?? Does this mean problems are lurking???

5) Finally, the interior light doesn't work. Nothing when you open the doors or try to switch it on manually. It's not the bulbs, and it's not the fuse (checked). All other electrics work, it's just the interior light.
Anything else it could be?? What else can I check??

Sorry for the long post, but you know how it is when your new toy isn't as perfect as you wanted it to be, or is different to what you are used to.
Got 3 months of warranty so I'd like to have any possible problems looked at asap.

Cheers guys.

1. As you pointed out, many S3 owners also notice a 'tappety diesel noise'. I think its accepted as normal even on the non-turbos.

2. The piece of plastic at the front (underneath the engine) may just be catching the bumps?

2. The piece of plastic at the front (underneath the engine) may just be catching the bumps?

Would it catch it on the way down off a bump too?
Worth a look though, I'll see if I can see any signs of catching.

Its a total guess I'm afraid. I'm not even sure if your car has one - I only know that on my car it gently rubs the bumps.

I have a 2.0 fsi sport and mine sounds very ticky. I think this is the injectors cos a mechenic said he thought it may have been them.

With the suspensin noise, does it sound like creaky. When I go over speed bumps at certain speeds it creaks loudly and it is only the front. I put a post up here saying about. It n people said it could be the antiroll bar bushes.

Not to sure about ur point 3 & 4 but with the lights, the festoon type bulbs only work one way round so may be worth flipping them over. If nothin then get a volt meter and see if there is any going going through

I have a 2.0 fsi sport and mine sounds very ticky. I think this is the injectors cos a mechenic said he thought it may have been them.

With the suspensin noise, does it sound like creaky. When I go over speed bumps at certain speeds it creaks loudly and it is only the front. I put a post up here saying about. It n people said it could be the antiroll bar bushes.

Not to sure about ur point 3 & 4 but with the lights, the festoon type bulbs only work one way round so may be worth flipping them over. If nothin then get a volt meter and see if there is any going going through

Cheers, I'll flip the bulbs and see what happens.

As for question 4... If you rest your foot on your clutch pedal when idling can you feel anything coming through?

Reply to Question 3,i had the same fault with the coolant ,traced it back to G62 collant Temp sensor ,changed it and cleared the fault, has not come back again.

I have Vag Com and this showed upwhen i did a scan ,you may need to get someone to scan it for you to find faults,by the way it is a ****** of a job to replace the Sensor!!
regards
Andy

It's been a few days now and the coolant fault hasn't reappeared. Hopefully it was just having a bad day.
But thanks, good to know the probable problem.

By the way, been reading a bit about this VAG COM thing. The proper cable is EXPENSIVE!! Seen some on ebay for about £15. Any good?? They won't format my car will they?!?!?

My FSi ticks a bit too, not too loud though.

The sensors in the header bottle have been know to fail or be very sensitive.

Anti-roll bars are know to creack front and back, you could try spraying some WD40 on them to see if it goes away for a bit.

Clutch, hopefully its not the Dual Mass flywheel going. They can cause vibration on idle

Interior lights an odd one (only LEDs are directional bulbs not festoon ones unless they are LEDs). Does any of out VAGcom owners know if it can be disabled using the lead?

It's been a few days now and the coolant fault hasn't reappeared. Hopefully it was just having a bad day.
But thanks, good to know the probable problem.

By the way, been reading a bit about this VAG COM thing. The proper cable is EXPENSIVE!! Seen some on ebay for about £15. Any good?? They won't format my car will they?!?!?

The £15 copy/clone ones either wont work at all or only in a limited fashion. Not worth the money, you need to buy the proper one.

The "tickety" sound is normal. Both the 2.0FSi and Turbo have it, although some engines seem to be louder than others. Mine has done it from new. I does bug me but since it is characteristic for FSI injectors and nothing can be done about it I try to ignore it. The engine is very quiet from inside the car so usually I only notice it when the windows are down (which is not very often with our abysmal Dutch climate..)

I wonder if the newer types TFSI (1.4T, 1.8T, 211bhp 2.0T) are any quieter.

I've had the G62 sensor fail on me last year. My dealer first replaced the coolant tank but that didn't help. Apparently they didn't even bother checking the actual error-code, because if they had they would have seen that it clearly showed that the sensor was throwing errors. They charged me for a new coolant tank that did not need replacing (no sir... that is not covered by the extended warranty.) I went home (still an error in the DIS) , hooked up VAG-COM, made a printout of the fault codes, marked the relevant message with a yellow marker and went back to the dealer. When I showed the print-out to the guy behind the service desk the head mechanic happened to be standing next to him. The service guy hands over the print-out to the mechanic and says to him: Take a look at this, you can learn a thing or two from this gentleman. The mechanic turned a lovely shade of red... The G62 was then quickly replaced under warranty and the car has been trouble free ever since.

To cut a long story short.. Take it to the dealer and make sure they hook it up to their computer to read the fault codes. If it is the G62, it'll clearly say so in the fault message.

VAG-COM is not cheap but I can thoroughly recommend it. I can now change any setting I like without forking over 30 to 60 euros to the dealer every time. (I changed the seatbelt-chime, auto locking, enabled tail lights in the rear door, enabled beep when locking) and I can check/clear error messages before taking the car in to the dealer.

I've had my 2.0FSi sport for four years now. No real problems and it's still a real joy to drive. I is as smooth/firm/silent/(almost)rattle free as when it was new. It still looks as new. Some girls at work still give me compliment about how much they like the car! Probably something to do with the color, but keeping it clean, shiny and scratch free certainly helps.

I hope you'll enjoy the car as much as I do mine.

I've had a few noisey cam chains on the FSIs, after replacing the chain and damper the ticking noise is a lot quiter. I've also seen a couple of chains snap....

is that the chain on the opposite side of the timing belt that keeps the two camshafts turning properly? Never heard them snapping myself

Just got in from work and I can say that I didn't feel any uneven vibrations through the clutch pedal, I can feel a vibration but it us very fine and is in time with the engine.

1) Sounds normal
2) Piece of trim hanging or a buch has perished makign metal rub?
3) Soundsliek the coolant sensor - our TT use to do this but the coolant sensor was replaced and all was good.
4) Unsure?
5) could be the module or the actual unit itself, do the lights at the back work? - vagcom should show the culprit!

Where abouts are you? Someone with vagcom may be able to help?

The scraping noise you hear is probly the bit of plastic at the bottom on the front wheel arches, (like mini mud flaps at the other side of the wheel) three of the clips have probly came away and its hanging down, i had it when i brought mine, and noticed it when i was cleaning my wheels. Scared the life out of me because i thought it was the front bumper catching!

Thanks a lot for all your replies guys, very helpful...

So, from what I can gather;

1) The engine noise seems pretty standard on these engines.

2) The noise over bumps could be some sort of plastic under the car catching the speed bump, or possibily suspension wear. I'll have a look under the car tonight.

3) Coolant warning = dodgey sensor. I'll keep an eye on that one, only happened once so far.

4) Possibily normal vibration from engine coming through clutch pedal, or possibily the beginning of something painful to my wallet. Think I'll let an expert look at this one.

5) Interior light problem could be the bulb fitted wrong way around (or not), or faulty unit. Dealer that I bought the car from said they'd look at it. Travelling from where i am in east london to where they are in Sudbury is quite a mission though.

Putting aside the above, I must say that since stepping into the world of Audi from a Peugeot 206 GTi I once again enjoy driving, even here in London!
My only regret (so far) is having left it so long!

are you able to explain the noise a bit more, mine has started to creak really bad on the front. It only creaks when going over speed bumps but it's not a scratching noise.

Also if the engine is ticking over can you rev it around 1100-1200 and see if there is a slight plastic kind of tap. It is a slow tap. This is what happens ony car, it's a slow tap

are you able to explain the noise a bit more, mine has started to creak really bad on the front. It only creaks when going over speed bumps but it's not a scratching noise.

Also if the engine is ticking over can you rev it around 1100-1200 and see if there is a slight plastic kind of tap. It is a slow tap. This is what happens ony car, it's a slow tap

The noise mine makes when going over a speed bump definitely isn't a creak. The closest thing I can liken it to is a long'ish scraping sound.
The more I think about it the more I think it does sound like plastic scraping the ground.
It's not very loud and I can only hear it if I have the windows closed.
Doesn't happen when going over every speed bump either.
It's sounding more and more like what others on here said, plastic under the car scraping a bump.

I'll have to try revving to 1100-1200 and listening. Can't say i've noticed a plastic tapping though.
When I was listening to the the tapping I get on idle I revved the engine and was relieved that it sounded nice and clean. But I'll give it a go at 1100.

If you jack up the front and check the under tray. It is connected with screws to the bumper, the wheel arches and three main bolts at the back of the tray my undertray snapped once and hit the floor. Check all bolts are tight and the it is not flymsie (if the how you spell it) LOL

Had a 2.0 FSI for 4 years now....

Tappity noise is normal, always done it, some days less than others.

Creak over speed bumps is normal, go over 3 to get in to work everyday and dealer checked it out and said nothing wrong.

Vibration felt through cluth pedal at idle if you gently rest your foot on it is normal too. All A3's I have driven have done it.

Hope this helps!