Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5

    How does insurance work when track-racing

    does any one now how the insurance work when trackracing

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,808
    Hi

    I don't think it does, think you have to take track insurance out. As they probably say its racing so wont be covered. Few guys on here who go to track days quite a lot think they be able to point out how (if) your insurance covers you. And with what company to go with
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

  4. #3
    Khufu's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    West coast of Scotland
    Posts
    5,693
    I agree, if you put your car on the track, you will have no insurance. If you read your policy it will state this.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

  5. #4
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,368
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickolaus View Post
    does any one now how the insurance work when trackracing
    In short...it doesnt.

    You would need to find an independent insurance policy to cover track use,and quite frankly I think you would be very fortunate to find something that would give you adequate cover.

  6. #5
    klauster's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,140
    echo echo echo
    www.SubZerosystems.co.uk - IT Consultancy

  7. #6
    Spin140's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Derbyshire, England
    Posts
    2,013
    Most track insurance premiums cost approx 10% of the full replacement value of your car for the day, on top of this there is usually a 1,000 excess, so if in a 30K car looking at 300 premium for the day. If you are unfortunate and write the car off you will then recieve 29K.

    To keep it cost effective I tend to ascess the risks associated with the particular track and ask for a specific amount of cover, usually 10k worth and this costs me about 80.

    At the end of the day you are taking a risk with your pride and joy but its worth it IMO and great fun, our roads can be far more dangerous.

    Bedford Autodrome on the other hand is one of the safest circuits in the UK so if at this location I don't bother with cover as very little to hit, apart from other cars of course !!

    It all sounds very risky but you take a risk everytime you get behind the wheel, give it a try certainly teaches you an awful lot about your car and your own abilities.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

    "Fast Cars are Safer...."

  8. #7
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin140 View Post
    Most track insurance premiums cost approx 10% of the full replacement value of your car for the day, on top of this there is usually a 1,000 excess, so if in a 30K car looking at 300 premium for the day. If you are unfortunate and write the car off you will then recieve 29K.

    To keep it cost effective I tend to ascess the risks associated with the particular track and ask for a specific amount of cover, usually 10k worth and this costs me about 80.

    At the end of the day you are taking a risk with your pride and joy but its worth it IMO and great fun, our roads can be far more dangerous.

    Bedford Autodrome on the other hand is one of the safest circuits in the UK so if at this location I don't bother with cover as very little to hit, apart from other cars of course !!

    It all sounds very risky but you take a risk everytime you get behind the wheel, give it a try certainly teaches you an awful lot about your car and your own abilities.
    Agree 100%.
    It simply isn't possible to push your car to its limits on the road. You'll learn more about your car in one lap of a circuit than 10,000 miles on the road.
    I don't bother with insurance anywhere - I've done loads of track days and only ever seen two accidents, both of them stupid driver errors - but I like Spin's idea of stating a predetermined value.
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  9. #8
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    310
    I agree with iggu and spin.

    Any damage you do will most likely be as a result of you making a mistake, rather that being hit by another car, so drive within your limits, increase your speed sowly throughout the day , be sensible and you'll be ok.

    It also depends on the track as to the likely hood of hitting something solid if you come off the tarmac, so take more care at a track where the run off is narrow. I crashed my old s2000 at castle coombe because I made a mistake.

    I wasnt insured, so I paid for the repairs myself, it came to 2800 to replace every panel down the right hand side, and straighten the tracking out.

    I still dont bother with insurance, At that point I'd done about 40 track days, so I figured I'm still in profit even after fixing the car, versus paying for insurance for every event.

  10. #9
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by julians View Post
    It also depends on the track as to the likely hood of hitting something solid if you come off the tarmac, so take more care at a track where the run off is narrow. I crashed my old s2000 at castle coombe because I made a mistake.
    Ouch - buut I have to ask: what was the mistake ?
    Missed the braking point ?
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  11. #10
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5
    I used to be inusre with Greenlight insurance and for i think 50 a day they would cover all UK tracks except Castle Comb they were also very mod friendly, Had to get insurance with somone else when i sold my car as due to my age they would only over upto 20,000 but i was 21 at the time so should be ok for some older people.

    Stu

  12. #11
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    310
    No, I ran wide coming out of a corner because I went on the power too soon, this put one of the back wheels on the grass, which then span up, and pitched me into a tank slapper which I wasnt talented enough to catch, so I hit the tyre wall sideways.

  13. #12
    jcs356's Avatar
    Brum brum

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Englandland
    Posts
    2,681
    Alternative is to use an older car for on-track (like my Ibiza). It's worth barely 1k so if I break it then I'll just scrap it. I've seen a few cars crash into barriers but on about 25 track days I've never seen 2 cars hit each other.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

    1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

  14. #13
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by julians View Post
    No, I ran wide coming out of a corner because I went on the power too soon, this put one of the back wheels on the grass, which then span up, and pitched me into a tank slapper which I wasnt talented enough to catch, so I hit the tyre wall sideways.
    Mmm nasty - I sympathise.
    The closest I've come to an accident was last year in my current S3 exiting a blind corner at Oulton Park. The corner is tricky and because I know the track well I booted it too early once I'd completed the corner - only to come face to face with a spinning Elise which had caught the turf and lost control. I was thankful for the safety of 4WD at that moment I can tell you.
    50% my fault for being too close to the Elise - 50% his fault for not being able to handle his car.
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    180
    Does the OP mean track day specific insurance or motorsport insurance?

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO