1.9TDI Clutch Judder

jb0o

Reaction score
Website
jonathan-butler.co.uk
When I hover of my clutch I can feel it juddering under my foot - I thought this might just be because its a diesel, but I was driving my mates car yesterday (Golf 2.0SDI) and when I hovered over his clutch I couldn't feel a thing.

I don't know if this is a problem, or just something that diesels do?

I did a search on clutch judder, but I don't even know what clutch juddering is so couldn't find much help as to my problem.

Thanks for any help.

The clutch could be on its way out mate. BUT my a3 had it for a good while but clutch still going strong and fine touch wood! :) So dont worry in till the clutch has actually gone. When it first had got it booked into two different audi dealers one wanted me to change clutch but they couldnt find a problem. Second one said they could feel the judder but not to change till it goes.

Hope that helps

Ashley

The clutch on my 1.9 TDi feels the same mate. I got a new engine around 39,000 and they didn't say anything about the clutch being excessively worn. Covered around 6,000 with the new engine and the clutch feel is pretty much the same.

Don't know if that helps or whether we both have a dodgy clutches?

:friends:

Lol...Serious mate just dont think about it, i could be wrong seeing that another member who has a tdi has the same problem. My clutch has stopped with teh judder now. So i'm not bothered. Lol just think if it goes can always get it fixed not the end of the world :)
Well was when i never had a car for a good while! lol

Lol, I wish I never asked this question. Everytime I drive the car now I keep thinking about the clutch going lol :(

Dual mass flywheel sounds knackered maybe?

The clutch on my 1.9 TDi feels the same mate. I got a new engine around 39,000 and they didn't say anything about the clutch being excessively worn. Covered around 6,000 with the new engine and the clutch feel is pretty much the same.

Don't know if that helps or whether we both have a dodgy clutches?
:friends:

Well i think joe90 could be right with this one... my judder seems to worse and it points to dual mass flywheel. I'm now getting a vibration in 5th between 60-65mph. I've noticed a new symptom which is a slipping/judder sensation in 5th at low revs 1400-1500..

Don't get me wrong i love my Sportback but on searching the forum it seems like the A3 is majorly flawed with regards to clutch and dual mass flywheel.
Also within the last two and a half months i've spoken to two A3 owners (friends of friends) who have had new engines with the same fault i had! :wtf:

To the OP: If you just have a judder if you "rest" your foot on the pedal at idle, I believe this is normal, mine does it, and so have the two TDI loan cards I've had from Audi.

I posted about it when I first got mine and everyone told me it was normal.

But if you get the judder when moving like Paul above then I would get it checked out for sure!

Guys,..

I'm a newbie to this forum, as I have just purchased a 2006 A3 1.9 TDi 8P,.. and also have clutch vibration / judder,...

I have found an official Audi cause of such, {assuming you have 8P ]

Believe it or not,.. this is due to excess crankshaft end float !!,.. and the Audi fix, is to fit a new hose between slave and master cylinder,.. which has some sort of frequency absorber incorporated into it !!!
Tried local Audi dealer to see if this would be honoured under warranty,.. but no !!... unless any of you can tell me any different.

Anyone wanting a copy of the doc,.. pls PM me

cheers
Dougie

A3 1.9 TDi 2004.

Persistant Judder at idle and pulling off from junctions so had clutch and flywheel replaced under warranty.

Still juddering when idle and on starting so had engine mounts changed.

Still juddering and getting very annoyed with it.

Running out of reasons to keep it now!

To the OP: If you just have a judder if you "rest" your foot on the pedal at idle, I believe this is normal, mine does it, and so have the two TDI loan cards I've had from Audi.

I posted about it when I first got mine and everyone told me it was normal.

But if you get the judder when moving like Paul above then I would get it checked out for sure!

Yeah, it just when rested.

Nothing else is going on. Its not slipping or I'm not getting any other juddering at all...

I've took out warranty anyway, so Ive got that peice of mind if anything does go wrong ;)