JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
    Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel

RNS-e new iPod connectors???

Hi Guys,

I have found this on ebay and was wondering if anyone else has tried it?

It seems to allow you to connect your iPod to the RNS-e system and still be able to see which track you are playing just like the iPod does.

How hard isit to fit this in with the video in motion as it seems quiet a steep price to pay for it to be fitted in??

Here is the link to the kit all fitted with video in motion:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-RNS-E-Alpine-KCE-425i-Video-iPod-Kit-A3-A4-A6-TT_W0QQitemZ250390016124QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars Parts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item250390016124&_ trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65% 3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Here is the standard kit on its own:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=120394425170
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Went here to have a look at this in more detail, and the bit I don't get is how you'd connect this to an RNS-E as it doesn't have any video inputs as such.

Whether the folks at KUFATEC have an appropriate cable to allow a full conversion through the Quadlock???? They stock the same interface unit here

I've not heard that the RNS-E head unit can play video content on its own, and don't think this is possible without another interface component in between the RNS-E and the playing device. I stand to be corrected though.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

well the ebay link for hazzy dayz Item number: 250390016124 says "Please note: This interface replaces the original Audi TV tuner if fitted."
    so im guessing he is using another method of connection.
    also he says "
    Video in motion is included in this price" so im not sure how many things he is fitting along with the alpine kit to get this all working.

but the pictures speak for themselves and it clearly shows it all working in the RNS-e...
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale

Status
    Car Audio Security have something similar to work with OEM kit: link

but it says it doesn't work with Nav head units.

Just called Oxford Car Audio as I would be interested in one myself if it worked, and they are calling to make 100% certain with Alpine, but as far as they are aware it won't work with RNS-E unit unless there is another adaptor unit. It make all Alpine head units (iPod compatible or not) able to manage iPod connectivity with full backwards compatibility (supposedly).

JUST SEEN THE E-BAY VIDEO LINK - be interested to see what they are using to make it work. Seems a little bit laggy but a great improvement on the OE one.
    Last edited by warren_S5; 23rd March 2009 at 16:39.

5th Gear

Status
    Not cheap is it ffs!

Also not keen on the way it shows alpine up on it....

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    1st thing we have to figure out is how to get the up/down/select to the alpine unit I think, it obviously uses the tv connection for the whole setup so is there an interconnect between the rns & alpine for signals for menu selections, I'm sure its not to hard to figure out huh guys.

Edition thats funny cause 1st thing I saw was the big alpine logo & thought thats ****, lol, dont like that at all.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

2nd Gear

Status
    Hallelujah!

This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. The factory look of the the RNS-E with the functionality provided by Alpine's iPod system.

Chris
    Car: Phantom Black A3 2.0 TFSI S-Line BLACK EDITION, 3-door, manual

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

what if someone paid hazzy dayz a visit and saw how he manages to get it all working..., i mean you could just do an enquiry as to what parts he is actually fitting in the audi to get a better idea.
    Hazzy Dayz as far as i know used to be a VW Engineer, and knows what he is doing...
    he fits nearly all options on A3's (light and rain pack, cruise control, RNS-e bluetooth kits and even repairs RNS-e's!)
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:

Items for Sale

6th Gear

Status
    It's not that much different from a DLO homedock deluxe. In fact the on screen menu looks quite similar.... As the ipod doesn't send the on screen controls out of the video out lead, any product which connects to a monitor will have to re create the user interface. This is what the alpine KCE-425i does.
    I've had a quick look at this Kufatec sell the alpine gadget bundled with the IMA plus. The IMA plus can detect the button presses on the RNSe as they are available over CAN and passes them to the Alpine. So it should do what everyone thinks it does!

6th Gear

Status

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeah if people want to chip in then I'll goto him.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS3 View Post
    It's not that much different from a DLO homedock deluxe. In fact the on screen menu looks quite similar.... As the ipod doesn't send the on screen controls out of the video out lead, any product which connects to a monitor will have to re create the user interface. This is what the alpine KCE-425i does.
    I've had a quick look at this Kufatec sell the alpine gadget bundled with the IMA plus. The IMA plus can detect the button presses on the RNSe as they are available over CAN and passes them to the Alpine. So it should do what everyone thinks it does!
    Ahhh bistro, thought must of been interconnect, so IMA passes can signals for menu selections, good to know.

6th Gear

Status
    Only the IMA plus, not the IMA

Neutral

Status
    This is exactly what the doctor ordered!
    Its about 365 delivered from Kufatec - which is only 200 more than the Audi iPod adapter... which as far as I can tell is rubbish!
    This Alpine one looks like it'll operate exactly as the iPod does.
    My only query is that will it still let you navigate / see the map etc whilst the iPod is playing?

1st Gear

Status
    That looks pretty good, bit to expensive for me at the moment though
    Gone - A3 2.0 TDI (140) Sportback Sport

Now - BMW f10 520d

1st Gear

Status
    Very interesting in this bit of kit. It would be a traffic jam dream. Was fed up of my old ipod connection with track 1, track 2.... Not sure why its taken Audi so long to get the track names to appear on the screen.

450 though....Not quite ready to spend that just yet.
    Who said speed kills!?!?....But dangerous driving on the other hand....
    Ibis White S3 Sportback - ?bhp - ?lb/ft (Being Fixed)
    Mods: LED's Throughout, Milltek TBE, Revo S2+, Forge CAI (Gold), K&W V3's 25mm, H&R ARB's, Powerflex Bushes, Autotech HPFP, Sachs Clutch, Forge DV, Jonny's PCV Mod, Defi Boost Gauge, Pro Alloy Intercooler, 18" OZ Alleggerita's, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, VI Performance Monitor, Road Angel Pro Connected
    Full OEM Springs and Shocks for sale from 2008 S3 CLICK ME

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    they havent have they toby ??? id love one of these

Neutral

Status
    Has anyone actually got one of these and fitted it themselves?

I'm going to do the RNS-E retrofit when my car comes and might be tempted to get one of these and try it out. By the look of it there will be 2 interface boxes to stash somewhere. How much room is there in behind the dash?

Status
    There should be some room behind the glove box to store a box or two.

In my old Leon I had climate control in the dash, and:

1) double din Alpine DVD head unit
    2) then in the glove box I retrofitted a 6 disc multichanger,
    3) an Alpine iPod converter unit KCA420,
    4) an Alpine AI net junction box for handling multiple audio signals
    5) Alpine crossover networks for my component speakers

It was a very tight fit, but it all managed to come together with careful packing.

Why do the bigger cars have full MMI, and the A3 doesn't?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tobycruse View Post
    Not sure why its taken Audi so long to get the track names to appear on the screen.
    It isn't an Audi solution, its aftermarket and nothing to do with Audi. They never made a decent attempt at an Ipod adapter!

Quote Originally Posted by warrencox View Post

It was a very tight fit, but it all managed to come together with careful packing.

Why do the bigger cars have full MMI, and the A3 doesn't?
    Money! The MMI system is more expensive than an RNS-E (and takes up more space in the car)

Looks pretty similar to my install from ages ago!
    A6 3.0 TDI.

1st Gear

Status
    Install shouldnt be *too* difficult, It will be mostly plug and play I believe, however the Alpine unit looks like it needs a seperate power cable, I wounder if the kufetec solution includes a loom to power the unit, or if we need to splice into some cables
    Gone - A3 2.0 TDI (140) Sportback Sport

Now - BMW f10 520d

LIVING THE GOOD LIFE

Status
    does anyone know does the 2007 s3 rns-e MMI have the A/V input that is needed for plug and play,,?? p.s. the alpine interface in spain is costing me 288 euros with v,a,t included,, what prices have you found in england ??

6th Gear

Status
    Hold on guys. Audi may have finally got their act together regarding the iPod and the RNSe, there's a thread running over on audiforums.us which details an AMI for the MY10 A3, it costs 245 as a factory option. Hopefully this can be retrofitted to earlier cars. There is also rumour of a new RNSe.....

This text is taken from the PDF of the A3 brochure currently available for download from Audi.co.uk

"Audi Music Interface (AMI). Universal connection for use with stereo audio sources, USB and MP3 devices including Apple iPod generation 4 onwards (iPod, iPod classic, iPod mini, iPod nano, iPod photo, iPod video, iPod touch). Provides intuitive control through the audio system and multi-function steering wheel (if fitted). It also replicates the iPod display on the audio screen and Driver’s Information System (if fitted), including track titles. The interface provides charging function (dependent on device). Only in combination with DVD Satellite Navigation"

and

"Acoustic parking system plus (front and rear). Aids parking by acoustically indicating distances to obstacles. Includes visual display in combination with DVD Satellite Navigation (where fitted)"

Fingers crossed !!!!!!

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    this sounds great i love my music i was thinking to get the alpine but is 's to much i hope this is the answer

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS3 View Post
    Hold on guys. Audi may have finally got their act together regarding the iPod and the RNSe, there's a thread running over on audiforums.us which details an AMI for the MY10 A3, it costs 245 as a factory option. Hopefully this can be retrofitted to earlier cars. There is also rumour of a new RNSe.....

This text is taken from the PDF of the A3 brochure currently available for download from Audi.co.uk

"Audi Music Interface (AMI). Universal connection for use with stereo audio sources, USB and MP3 devices including Apple iPod generation 4 onwards (iPod, iPod classic, iPod mini, iPod nano, iPod photo, iPod video, iPod touch). Provides intuitive control through the audio system and multi-function steering wheel (if fitted). It also replicates the iPod display on the audio screen and Drivers Information System (if fitted), including track titles. The interface provides charging function (dependent on device). Only in combination with DVD Satellite Navigation"

and

"Acoustic parking system plus (front and rear). Aids parking by acoustically indicating distances to obstacles. Includes visual display in combination with DVD Satellite Navigation (where fitted)"

Fingers crossed !!!!!!

Neutral

Status
    I did read this in the new 2009 brochure... but they also still sell a seperate 175 iPod connector. The only downer is that if I order a car now and want that option - I have to pay 1600 for the Sat Nav instead of the 500 on eBay! The good side is that the new unit has 32gb memory card support!

I wonder if that AMI iPod supports proper playlists and lets you use the iPod properly like the Alpine unit?

Neutral

Status
    Hey Guys just to say i've been and had this done,
    Although the alpine screen display may look a little tacky the functionality is so much better than the oem audi soloution,
    The price may seem a little high but after looking into all the bit's needed to get this working, ie the alpine unit the kufetec connector the video in motion fitted to your rnse and vagcom etc and then the time effort and know how to fit it all in i decided that i may as well let someone with the experience do it for me,
    I have to say im very pleased with it,
    Keith

LIVING THE GOOD LIFE

Status
    so can anyonr tell me what i need to buy to make it work on audi plus nav,,,,mmi ,,, please do i only need the alpine or do i need another interface

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_S3 View Post
    Hey Guys just to say i've been and had this done,
    Although the alpine screen display may look a little tacky the functionality is so much better than the oem audi soloution,
    The price may seem a little high but after looking into all the bit's needed to get this working, ie the alpine unit the kufetec connector the video in motion fitted to your rnse and vagcom etc and then the time effort and know how to fit it all in i decided that i may as well let someone with the experience do it for me,
    I have to say im very pleased with it,
    Keith
    how much for all that to be done and fitted was it from the guy on ebay and can you connect digital tv to that aswell

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalino View Post
    so can anyonr tell me what i need to buy to make it work on audi plus nav,,,,mmi ,,, please do i only need the alpine or do i need another interface
    You need another adapter to make the Alpine work with the SatNav's controls etc.

LIVING THE GOOD LIFE

Status
    http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_i...M-Control.html
    is this what i need peeps or do i need anything else

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalino View Post
    http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_i...M-Control.html
    is this what i need peeps or do i need anything else
    Thats the kit I'm going to buy. I would check with kufatec that you don't need anything else though.

Neutral

Status
    @ 10blazin, it was the guy from ebay, he had previously fitted cruise control to my 8L S3 so i was more than happy to go back to him, and yes i believe that you can also connect a tv tuner to it,
    @ p3eps, as well as the item in your link you will also need video in motion enabled, im not sure what's involved in this as gareth took the rnse away to do something to it, otherwise i was told it would cut out when you were moving like if you had the tv on,
    edited to add, after seeing that the item in you link is 350 euros anyway i would have thought that for the extra it was worth the piece of mind that it was fitted for you by someone that has done it many times.
    Last edited by Keith_S3; 17th April 2009 at 09:28.

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    how much for your install kieth 450

Neutral

Status
    yup 450 had cruise control fitted as well at the same time so got a bit of discount on that as both done togther