new s line gear knob

gixxer600k4

Reaction score
hi guys have just found a brand new s line gear knob with the perforated leather and i am just wondering how you take the old one on and replace it?

cheers

If you have an ash tray, open it and pull the trim round the gear stick up from the top and it will easily lift out

Lift the trim up over the gear knob (turn the gaitor inside out) and you will then see a clasp which holds the knob/gaitor onto the gear stick

This is just squeezed together so you can use a small screw driver to pry it open. Unfotunately you need a special tool to squeeze the clasp back on without damaging it

However, it is not essential that you put this clasp back on - I didnt when fitting the S3 knob and hasnt given me any bother

However, it is not essential that you put this clasp back on - I didnt when fitting the S3 knob and hasnt given me any bother

Thats cause you're lazy :undwech:

those alloys are the bbs ch, they are gorgeous alloys and they are pricey! depending on price abd colour they range between £330 to £390 per alloy

hmmm... looks nice,
im still in love with the glowing S3 gearknob...
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&langpair=de|en&u=http://www.faudiq.de/anleitungen/Interieur/S3%2520Schaltknauf%2520beleuchten.htm

same problem i have, i wish they did a knob like the S3 chrome with red insert for the S-line... or even the same S3 knob without the S3 branding :(

yea will do mate! all i want now is a new steering wheel but they are soo ****** expensive. i feel that mine (on the a3 2003 8p) is massive, its the three spoke one

Nice one. Put up some pictures of each stage please. Mine has chipped a little and if it's cheap, might get a new one.

i had a look on that and rang the guy to ask him what he does, he has second hand ones which look like new for cheaper which isnt too bad...

the flat S3 ones are really nice but then so is the price...
instead i was lucky to find a nice guy on ebay called Neil who sold me the S-Line multifunction steering wheel for a really good price. going to be fitting that real soon...

Hi,

it was the 1st thing to "go" in my 2009 Sportback, , bought the knob from the same guy on Ebay. really fast delivery

Easy to fit, had to unpick the existing trim and re fit but its n and its sweet.

Dont wory, 10 min job and you wont regret it, I havnt

G

:w00t:

I changed my S-Line gear knob/stick for the solid satin finish alloy knob.

You have to lift up the gator and basically snap of the old ring clip. Get some 'hose' clip thingy's (about £1 each from Halfords...They adjust and tighten with a screwdriver). Use one of those to replace the ring clip to keep the stick in place.
It does make a difference because there's a bit of movement in the stick if you don't replace it.

finally got it delivered and fitted, thought it would be easy but turned out to be a bit more complicated.

easy to get out, just lift up ashtray and get ur fingers behind the gear gaitor surround and pull up, it is a bit tough but it is only four clips that hold it in.

these two pics are the clips that hold it in place

pull it all the way up and over so you can get good access to the clip

the clip is similar to a jubilee, there is like a metal bit the is holding it in place, i bent it straight and unclipped it, when i put it back on i didnt fit one, it feels fine but i will be getting a jubilee clip soon. once this is undone, just pull it off

there are then four lugs which hold the gear gaitor surround in place, i pushed them in two at a time, top then bottom

as you can see they are both different sizes, i then started to panic at this stage so went back on the page where i got it from and it said that for this to fit an 8p some modification might have to be might like changing the bracket.

so i started to unclip all the staples

here you can see how much difference there is

for the new gear leather to fit around the existing bracket i had to cut the holes longer to fit around the clips.

once i got it around the bracket, i fitted the original staple back in to hold it in place.

once this is done, just slide it back in and clip it into place

new one fitted

old one