Badger5JMB Retrofits
    2nd Gear

Status

Question fitting a double din unit

Hello

im new to the forum so sorry if ive made a mistake. I was wondering what is required to allow me to fit a double DIN aftermarket unit? the car is an audi a3 sport tdi 2006. Its got the single DIN in there at the moment! also was wondering how come some people have a storage tray in their dash when mine has a cup holder?!

thanks!

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    You need the follwoing

Complete radio cage/housing which includes the slot for the coin tray and the ohter 3 buttons (Double Dins have coin trays not cup holders which is weird and i have no idea why)
    New climate control unit as its a different shape however some people have successfully trimmed the original climate unit to fit the smaller gap.

And thats it apart from the new double din. Be careful with later spec double din units as they have different connections. someone more knowledgable than me can help you with that! If your going aftermarket then you will need a Can Bus lead and maybe some other bits of wire, i'm not sure!
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tdisportuk View Post
    Hello

im new to the forum so sorry if ive made a mistake. I was wondering what is required to allow me to fit a double DIN aftermarket unit? the car is an audi a3 sport tdi 2006. Its got the single DIN in there at the moment! also was wondering how come some people have a storage tray in their dash when mine has a cup holder?!

thanks!
    This will do everything you need & trim the climate down to save money, where abouts are you as I can do fitting for you, only extra thing needed would be the adapter to quadlock which I can source:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160321203572

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

2nd Gear

Status
    thanks for the replies guys! woah didnt know it was that much off a change!

- thanks NHN im in birmingham, where about are you? fitting would be a great help! i wanted to use an aftermarket unit not to keen on the orignal audi double din, or is there something im missing here? i normally go for pioneer, alpine units tbh.
    so if i purchase the double din cage and then the aftermarket unit and cables then ready set go?

thanks

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    TBH mate the audi oem unit rns-e is the best for the car as it integrates so much better than others, I was chatting to smudge don & did some work on his car & he was an Alpine guy, he saw what my car could do with oem & said, feck alpine etc, I want what you've got, ask anyone about rns-e & they will say ok can maybe get some better features with aftermarket but there is no way it would look or integrate with the car better, no BS either mate.

I'm in East Sussex but tbh thats not an issue as its only a small distance away & I know some other friends who could if need be install for you around the UK from AS.

Let me know if services needed.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    TBH mate the audi oem unit rns-e is the best for the car as it integrates so much better than others, I was chatting to smudge don & did some work on his car & he was an Alpine guy, he saw what my car could do with oem & said, feck alpine etc, I want what you've got, ask anyone about rns-e & they will say ok can maybe get some better features with aftermarket but there is no way it would look or integrate with the car better, no BS either mate.

I'm in East Sussex but tbh thats not an issue as its only a small distance away & I know some other friends who could if need be install for you around the UK from AS.

Let me know if services needed.
    Interesting you say this as im thinking of getting a aftermarket double din HU for my A3 as i dont really need the sat nav but more the multimedia side... i want something that can play dvd's, Divx and ipod video on the screen as well as show all the tracks ont he screen, and obviously bluetooth phone connection.
    In my last car i had the Kenwood 729 with the ipod video connection and the bluetooth kit and i loved the way it worked! i know the RNS-e looks nice in the audi but im not sure on how it compares in functionality with aftermarket stuff... If it does everything i want it to do then i might just go with that.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks again NHN.

to be honest i need the following connections... play music from ipod with full control on the headunit, aux input, play files from USB sticks and stream music via bluetooth from phones. is the audi headunit capable of this? and does it have separte control for the sub woofer? oh yeah one last question is the unit touchscreen?

thanks!
    Last edited by tdisportuk; 21st March 2009 at 02:22. Reason: spelling error

6th Gear

Status
    its NOT touch screen (dont ask lol). It has option for: 2 SD cards up to 4 gig each, CD when sat nav DVD isnt in, Aux in, multiplayer CD input, limited ipod control. With the addition of an interface, bluetooth with option of multi functon steering wheel control and/or voice command. With addition of interface, the addition of RCA connection for playstation, camcorder, DVD player etc & TV.

TBH, it wont be as good as an aftermarket but it just fits perfect & looks that part LOL
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

2nd Gear

Status
    LOL oh my gosh, i think im gonna pass on the rns-e unit! and go for something aftermarket may not look as the 'part' in the dash but it will be useful! and probably be better wise as by having the rns-e and the bluetooth, tv tuner etc etc works in over 1500 or am i looking in the wrong places? Just one more thing is i copied lots of mp3's onto DVD would the rns-e be able to play it?