fitting a double din unit

tdisportuk

Reaction score
Hello

im new to the forum so sorry if ive made a mistake. I was wondering what is required to allow me to fit a double DIN aftermarket unit? the car is an audi a3 sport tdi 2006. Its got the single DIN in there at the moment! also was wondering how come some people have a storage tray in their dash when mine has a cup holder?!

thanks!

You need the follwoing

Complete radio cage/housing which includes the slot for the coin tray and the ohter 3 buttons (Double Dins have coin trays not cup holders which is weird and i have no idea why)
New climate control unit as its a different shape however some people have successfully trimmed the original climate unit to fit the smaller gap.

And thats it apart from the new double din. Be careful with later spec double din units as they have different connections. someone more knowledgable than me can help you with that! If your going aftermarket then you will need a Can Bus lead and maybe some other bits of wire, i'm not sure!

Hello

im new to the forum so sorry if ive made a mistake. I was wondering what is required to allow me to fit a double DIN aftermarket unit? the car is an audi a3 sport tdi 2006. Its got the single DIN in there at the moment! also was wondering how come some people have a storage tray in their dash when mine has a cup holder?!

thanks!

This will do everything you need & trim the climate down to save money, where abouts are you as I can do fitting for you, only extra thing needed would be the adapter to quadlock which I can source:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=160321203572

thanks for the replies guys! woah didnt know it was that much off a change! :blink:

- thanks NHN im in birmingham, where about are you? fitting would be a great help! i wanted to use an aftermarket unit not to keen on the orignal audi double din, or is there something im missing here? i normally go for pioneer, alpine units tbh.
so if i purchase the double din cage and then the aftermarket unit and cables then ready set go?

thanks

TBH mate the audi oem unit rns-e is the best for the car as it integrates so much better than others, I was chatting to smudge don & did some work on his car & he was an Alpine guy, he saw what my car could do with oem & said, feck alpine etc, I want what you've got, ask anyone about rns-e & they will say ok can maybe get some better features with aftermarket but there is no way it would look or integrate with the car better, no BS either mate.

I'm in East Sussex but tbh thats not an issue as its only a small distance away & I know some other friends who could if need be install for you around the UK from AS.

Let me know if services needed.

TBH mate the audi oem unit rns-e is the best for the car as it integrates so much better than others, I was chatting to smudge don & did some work on his car & he was an Alpine guy, he saw what my car could do with oem & said, feck alpine etc, I want what you've got, ask anyone about rns-e & they will say ok can maybe get some better features with aftermarket but there is no way it would look or integrate with the car better, no BS either mate.

I'm in East Sussex but tbh thats not an issue as its only a small distance away & I know some other friends who could if need be install for you around the UK from AS.

Let me know if services needed.

Interesting you say this as im thinking of getting a aftermarket double din HU for my A3 as i dont really need the sat nav but more the multimedia side... i want something that can play dvd's, Divx and ipod video on the screen as well as show all the tracks ont he screen, and obviously bluetooth phone connection.
In my last car i had the Kenwood 729 with the ipod video connection and the bluetooth kit and i loved the way it worked! i know the RNS-e looks nice in the audi but im not sure on how it compares in functionality with aftermarket stuff... If it does everything i want it to do then i might just go with that.

Thanks again NHN.

to be honest i need the following connections... play music from ipod with full control on the headunit, aux input, play files from USB sticks and stream music via bluetooth from phones. is the audi headunit capable of this? and does it have separte control for the sub woofer? oh yeah one last question is the unit touchscreen?

thanks!:)

its NOT touch screen (dont ask lol). It has option for: 2 SD cards up to 4 gig each, CD when sat nav DVD isnt in, Aux in, multiplayer CD input, limited ipod control. With the addition of an interface, bluetooth with option of multi functon steering wheel control and/or voice command. With addition of interface, the addition of RCA connection for playstation, camcorder, DVD player etc & TV.

TBH, it wont be as good as an aftermarket but it just fits perfect & looks that part LOL

LOL oh my gosh, i think im gonna pass on the rns-e unit! and go for something aftermarket may not look as the 'part' in the dash but it will be useful! and probably be better £ wise as by having the rns-e and the bluetooth, tv tuner etc etc works in over £1500 or am i looking in the wrong places? Just one more thing is i copied lots of mp3's onto DVD would the rns-e be able to play it?