stone chip repair - options/suggestions

Slipp Digby

Reaction score
noticed a stone chip on the lip of my bonnet yesterday :3sadwalk:

its right above the grill and although its not big is highly visible (brilliant black car its gone through clear coat and colour coat).

anyone got any suggestions as to the best route to get it repaired?

I know there are touch up paints in exact colours, but i dont want it to look like a toddler has been colouring in the front of my car. anyone used these with decent results?

other solutions and peoples experience (and cost!) would be much appreciated!

Thats pretty much the only route if you dotn want to get it sprayed

touch up with colour paint then clear laqer on top - sand down with a lot of lubrication and polish up

I need to do this as i managed to get a stone chip on the rear 3/4 and its gone all the way through!!

Hi mate,

Have a look at this site www.drcolorchip.com/

Have not personally used this but i am considering it for sum chips on mine. Seen sum good comments on the Detailing World forum about it. Just another option for you.

John

I'm doing mine the old fassiond way on saturday. Touch up paint and rub down.

I will post some before and after pics of the job.

thanks for the suggestions, really useful.

sounds like a job for my old man (my father not my c*ck!)

Hi mate,

Have a look at this site www.drcolorchip.com/

Have not personally used this but i am considering it for sum chips on mine. Seen sum good comments on the Detailing World forum about it. Just another option for you.

John

i have been reading on some of the other car forums about this company. they are american based, and by all accounts, the product seems to do what it says on the tin!
some of the other forums have managed to get a group buy organised with them, bringing the price for the largest kit down to the reasonable price of £50! maybe we should try that!!! :whistle2:

what i have done before, is get some tap and put a tiny hole in it that is the same size as chip, place over the chip n make it so it is very slightly bigger than the chip otherwise you will get a ring. use the end of a cocktail stick n use very very very small amounts of paint,do it a few times making sure you are only laying down tiny layers. do the same again but with some laqer. then if u are happy to sand it down and polish, do it, if not go on to detailers world and see if anyone will be able to help you, they are all very good at detailing and there a nice bunch on there!it sounds hard and it is scary when you sand it down n see millions of scratches. if you do sand, use some meg wet/dry paper. i use meg 1500 ungrit seems to work great!

i have been reading on some of the other car forums about this company. they are american based, and by all accounts, the product seems to do what it says on the tin!
some of the other forums have managed to get a group buy organised with them, bringing the price for the largest kit down to the reasonable price of £50! maybe we should try that!!! :whistle2:

Sounds like a good idea marty...... do you know what kind of numbers was required to get the large kit for £50? I guess the exchnage rate has a bit to do with it aswell.

Sounds like a good idea marty...... do you know what kind of numbers was required to get the large kit for £50? I guess the exchnage rate has a bit to do with it aswell.

sorry, but i dont know the numbers required, and im sure the exchange rate would play a large part in the cost our end!