Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    Dorsprung Turch Vechnique

Status

Tuning on 2.0 TDi 140

Not very familiar with this lark lads so enlighten me.

After the missus instructed me to go for a diesel A3 we’ve spotted the ideal spec, but its not a DPF 170.

After checking out Star Performance (they’ve fitted Cruise on a few of my A3s in the past) they say they can use software to increase the 140 to 180bhp.

http://www.starperformance.co.uk/audi.htm

I’m not savvy with this – what does it involve and is the end result a pure 180bhp, like they say?

I’d appreciate at any thoughts/advice - !
    2003 - A3 Volcanic Black 1.6i 8L
    2004 - A3 Ming Blue 1.8TQ 8L
    2005 - A3 Dolphin Grey 2.0FSI 8P
    2006 - Driving sabbatical ;-)
    2007 - A3 Ibis White 2.0TFSI 8p
    2009 - A3 Monza Silver BE 2.0 TDI 8p

2. # ADS
    ADS

Basically they change the instructions in the engine ECU. When a manufacturer specifies the settings in an ECU they have to take into account that it will be used in hundreds of engines which all have the same specification but with an allowance for manufacturing tolerances. They may also decide to err on the side of say fuel consumption rather than maximum power as an example.

What people like Star Performance and others do is to modify some of those settings to get increased performance from your particular engine without loosing to much in other areas. Some times a 'chipped' engine can give more performance and better fuel consumption - it depends on the individual engine and the new ECU map as it's called.

Depending on the age of your car your could invalidate any warranty given by Audi although many of the tuning companies do provide some form of warranty on any engine they re-map.

The best thing to do is to see if you can try a car provided by the tuner to see if it makes a real difference compared with you own. Some engines already produce more than their basic specified output when they leave the factory. If it's a 103kW (140bhp) engine it must produce at least 103kW but it may well already produce more. Most tuners can test the output from your particular car on a rolling-road before they start any work.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Status
    Dave thanks for taking the time. Good explanation.

Presumebly there would be a noticable difference if the thing can be tuned up to 180 from 140, certainly more punchy.

If anyone has performed this o their 2.0 140 then let me know - i'm a bit apprehensive of dropping from the T FSI @ 200 down to 140...........

5th Gear

Status
    You could buy the 170 engine then no need to start remapping and potential warranty worries? Unless you decide you want 200+bhp again...

From reading other peoples thoughts on the 140 engine after its been remapped they all seem to rave about it.
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Milltek Turbo Back Exhaust + Custom Code Phase 2 = Ł900, you'll be well happy, quicker than a std Mk5 GTI as Mikey has proved several times.

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    You did the right choice to get the PD140 instead of the PD170. There are lots of things that can be done to tune a PD140 some of which are in my sig. Can Star Performance maps be switched off or removed and your stock map reloaded?
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8KOW View Post
    Milltek Turbo Back Exhaust + Custom Code Phase 2 = Ł900, you'll be well happy, quicker than a std Mk5 GTI as Mikey has proved several times.
    Only Ł900? Surely not...
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

Status
    That reassuring information.

I'm so used to the power of the T FSI, i'd miss it if i dropped downt o the 140bhp. Tuning it up to 180bhp sounsd as if it will still be a rapid machine.

The Whoa

Status
    Ive got a 140 and have had it remapped by Custom Code - Link below;
    http://custom-code.co.uk/index.php?o...151&Itemid=121

I love the new power. I dont think its more economical then the standard, but that might be because im heavier with the right foot now days :-)
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    That reassuring information.

I'm so used to the power of the T FSI, i'd miss it if i dropped downt o the 140bhp. Tuning it up to 180bhp sounsd as if it will still be a rapid machine.
    You may find you miss it less than you think. Even the 140 TDI has 320Nm of torque compared with 280Nm on the 2.0TFSI. Torque is more usable than utlimate BHP which is only produced at high revs on a TFSI.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

In pursuit of audiness:)

Status
    i got 185 bhp with milltek cb, green air filterand next week put downpipe. once uve done remap u gonna love ur car. i was going to sell main cus it was boring but after remap i love it again a lot more... then u wanna put some more stuff in it... so enjoyable. just keep servicing etc...
    Audi A6 2.7 TDI S-Line
    Mods - |Remap | 18" rs6 wheels |
    To be done - 19" wheels | Tints | Sat nav retrofit | RS6 steering wheel

I just had a reply to my email to Chipped-UK asking a re-mapping the new 140 common-rail engine.

"This is the new edc17 ecu, we can make this software for you, gains are
    typically 38hp and 65-80nm torque.
    We only offer custom tuning of this ecu due to the nature of the ecu type
    and the cost is Ł380 inc vat. This comes with a full 3 year warranty backed by an exclusive insurance policy.
    The difference is a far smoother yet more progressive midrange power
    delivery, overtaking at road speed will be far easier requiring far less
    effort than in original form"

As I have a 140 on order and currenty drive a 170, despite what I've said in the past about re-mapping, I may even be tempted.

The 170 cost Ł910 more than the 140. With this remap you could get an increase to 178bhp and 385-400nm of torque for Ł380.
    Dave R (h5djr)

Audi Novice

Status
    It sounds good for that money, but looking at the contact list in my area it suggests a mobile tuner, so there's no shop or place that you can visit if something goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
    It sounds good for that money, but looking at the contact list in my area it suggests a mobile tuner, so there's no shop or place that you can visit if something goes wrong.
    Unless, of course, you fancy a drive to Bromsgrove.
    Dave R (h5djr)