S-Tronic?

Same thing, S-Tronic is newer name for DSG in Audiland.

Audi referred to DSG in all it's sales literature until the end of 2005. After that it change the name to S-tronic.

The original DSG was developed between VW and Borg-Warner and was only made to suit transverse mounted engines and was only used by Audi in the A3. Audi has now developed the S-tonic further to allow them to use it in normal longitudinal mounted engines for the rest of the Audi range.

I think the earlier DSG uses wet (submerged) clutch packs, where as the later version, S-Tronic, uses dry packs.

So maybe S-Tronic is cheaper to service?

I could be talking complete nonsense though :rolleyes:

I think the earlier DSG uses wet (submerged) clutch packs, where as the later version, S-Tronic, uses dry packs.

So maybe S-Tronic is cheaper to service?

I could be talking complete nonsense though :rolleyes:

The 6-speed DSG or S-tronic (the original) uses wet clutches. The newer 7-speed S-tronic uses dry clutches. Whilst it may be cheaper to use the dry clutches one assumes that at some stage these will need to be replaced where as the wet clutches are designed to last the life of the car. I don't know if the newer 7-speed dry clutch system will also need the gearbox oil changed at some stage even though it's not used for the clutches.

Audi still supplies both 6 and 7 speed versions of the S-tronic, depending on the car it is used on.

i thought dsg was auto and manual on the stick and tiptronic is the same but it means you have the paddles on the steering wheel thats the difference

i thought dsg was auto and manual on the stick and tiptronic is the same but it means you have the paddles on the steering wheel thats the difference

No, Porsche were first to use the term 'tiptronic' to describe the action of pushing the gear lever forward or back to change gear. I think the first Porsche's to use this system did not have paddles, just the centre stick.

Here is the entry in Wikipedia

"Tiptronic is a registered trademark, and the word "Tiptronic" is owned by German sports car maker Porsche, who licenses it for use by other manufacturers, such as Volkswagen, Land Rover, Audi, SEAT and Škoda, all part of Volkswagen AG. However, many people use the term (erroneously) to refer generically to any automatic torque converter transmission that incorporates a manual upshift / downshift feature".

i know but when audi use the term tiptronic means it has the paddles on the steering wheel dsg is auto with gear change on the stick

No, Porsche were first to use the term 'tiptronic' to describe the action of pushing the gear lever forward or back to change gear. I think the first Porsche's to use this system did not have paddles, just the centre stick.

Here is the entry in Wikipedia

"Tiptronic is a registered trademark, and the word "Tiptronic" is owned by German sports car maker Porsche, who licenses it for use by other manufacturers, such as Volkswagen, Land Rover, Audi, SEAT and Škoda, all part of Volkswagen AG. However, many people use the term (erroneously) to refer generically to any automatic torque converter transmission that incorporates a manual upshift / downshift feature".

i know but when audi use the term tiptronic means it has the paddles on the steering wheel dsg is auto with gear change on the stick

As far as I know Audi do not actually refer to the term 'tiptonic' in their sales literature.

In my Owner's Manual they do refer to 'tiptronic mode' with illustrations and text explaining how to use tiptronic mode using the centre stick. In a following section they expalin how to use tiptronic mode using the Steering wheel with tiptronic controls which refers to the paddle levers.

Audi therefore correctly refer to both methods, centre stick and steering wheel paddles, as tiptronic mode. Audi no longer use the term DSG. S-tronic is now Audi-speak for the double clutch gearbox. VW still refer their double clutch gearboxes using the original term of DSG.