Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 73
  1. #1
    Low life livin' the high life.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,638

    Audi S3 / VW Golf R20T

    It's a funny one this but i've just been reading up on the Golf R20T which will be released and it sounds very impressive on paper. I'm sure you're all familiar with it.
    Seems a bit of a funny move by VAG to be honest because they usually avoid too much cross over between Golf and A3 ranges (see the number of current Golf vs A3 threads!) but it is basically an S3. I understand it'll have 4WD (not confirmed) and 270 bhp.

    Again yes we know the interior in the Golf won't be as good but i think it's safe to say it'll be cheaper and lighter than the S3 and i will bet my house that it's a better drivers car in every sense.

    I personally won't be having another 'hot hatch' style car but just out of interest, if both were available right now.... How many of you S3 boys would save a couple of quid and have an R20T?

    No reason for this thread other than curiosity because a lot of people in the other current threads say they'd take a GTI over an A3 2.0T. Will the R20T have the same effect?

    In every cloud though.... Hopefully this 'should' result in a 300+bhp RS3 to even things out. Who knows!
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

    For Sale:

    S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    10blazin's Avatar
    HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    gorton
    Posts
    3,272
    ive been thinking about getting a golf for a while but hated the cheap looking back lights but i saw a new golf the other day looked lovely backlights are great i think il be going 4 door golf on my next car or bmw defo wont be audi anyhow just cos of the way we were treated by derby audi.... but i would like a sportback s3 im a family man so it gota be four doors now but if i wasnt it would be the r20

  4. #3
    DeckedS3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    551
    Ummmmm..... RS3! My fingers are crossed!

    Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

  5. #4
    WiZBiT's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    332
    PNH80, Dont take this the wrong way but you change your mind like the weather.

    Didnt I read you were gonna buy an S3 not so long back? Whats changed now?

    Also, since when was the 2.0 A3 a hot hatch? Even in style as you put it? I think you'll find it in the "hatchback" section of the trader.

    Anyway back to the point, should the VW go 4wd with basically teh same running gear as teh S3, could you explain how its going to be "lighter than the S3"?

    Lastly, Put your money where your mouth is:

    "i will bet my house that it's a better drivers car in every sense"

    hahaha. purlease

  6. #5
    liam's Avatar
    waiting, waiting, waiting

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    170
    I'll have a Scirocco R20T with 4motion please.
    AUSmotive.com | AUSringers.com

    Currently: 2004 MINI Cooper S & 2006 Mk5 Golf GTI
    Ordered 28 March: 2009 Audi S3 / Ibis White / RNS-E / Sunroof / FBMFSW / Heated Seats / Blackout Grille / Week 19 build / ETA July

  7. #6
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,134
    Isn't there an upper limit on how many RS cars can be churned out of Audi at the same time? They are currently doing the RS6 and TT-RS, and rumours of an RS5, so I'd say an Audi S3 revamp is far more likely than an RS3.

    The S5 has just had an engine change from 4.2V8 to 3.2 V6T. Unless I am very much mistaken the TT-S being a 2.0T will mean it is very unlikely the S3 with get the 2.5T from the TT-RS as they will want to benchmark each label to a limit.

    The S3 is fat and lardy compared to the TT-S and could really do with the extra grunt (I'm sure it carries at least 100kgs more)
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  8. #7
    Low life livin' the high life.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by WiZBiT View Post
    PNH80, Dont take this the wrong way but you change your mind like the weather.

    Didnt I read you were gonna buy an S3 not so long back? Whats changed now?

    Also, since when was the 2.0 A3 a hot hatch? Even in style as you put it? I think you'll find it in the "hatchback" section of the trader.

    Anyway back to the point, should the VW go 4wd with basically teh same running gear as teh S3, could you explain how its going to be "lighter than the S3"?

    Lastly, Put your money where your mouth is:

    "i will bet my house that it's a better drivers car in every sense"

    hahaha. purlease

    Whoa hold on there sparky, little sensitive aren't we? Without patronising you (which would be easy), maybe in future read things properly before getting on your high horse.

    Firstly...Where did i say anything about the A3 2.0T being a hot hatch? (click the 'quote' button and show me). Nowhere. In fact if you look at the other Golf vs. A3 threads i specifically say it's NOT. I have had hot hatches in the past and i'm simply saying i won't be having another, hence asking if S3 owners would consider an R20T. Is that in simple enough terms for you? Christ.

    Yes i do change my mind depending on cirsumstances (as far as i'm aware this is allowed in the UK), car prices etc. I did indeed say that i was looking at an S3 as a short term option because i want to get rid of my A3 sooner than later. That is still an option.

    You will find that the Golf is generally a lighter car than the A3. The GTI is lighter than the 2.0T. The R20T i guarentee will be lighter than the current S3. Thats just an educated guess.

    And lastly yes i do believe it will be a better drivers car. The alternative Golf always is more driver orientated. It's built on a newer platform for a kick off. The current 8P platform is getting a little long in the tooth as i'm sure most will agree.

    I understand that Audi fanboys like yourself will get enraged at any suggestion that even other VAG cars may be a worthy alternative. But nowhere did i say the S3 was a bad car or had anything wrong with it! Quite the opposite.

    Toys back in the pram now buddy.
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

    For Sale:

    S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

  9. #8
    klauster's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,140
    there simple won't be an RS3
    www.SubZerosystems.co.uk - IT Consultancy

  10. #9
    Low life livin' the high life.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by klauster View Post
    there simple won't be an RS3
    Well not on this platform because i think it's reached it's limit. This is kind of my point, i don't see why VW would out-do the S3 unless they have something a bit special up their sleeve.

    Can't see any reason why they couldn't make the next S3 run along side the TT-S and have the TT-RS lump in an RS3.... probably wishful thinking though i know.
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

    For Sale:

    S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

  11. #10
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,134
    Quote Originally Posted by klauster View Post
    there simple won't be an RS3
    and it is a shame, as with the R26R from Renault, the Focus RS, and the ever closer R20T Golf/Scirocco offerings from VW, now is the time they could really do with it. Problem is it would be stupidly expensive (40k+), as it would be pretty bespoke (they just couldn't stretch that 2.0T any thinner), and as much as I'd love one, I'd rather have the M3 for that kind of money as the platform of the S3 is old and slightly numb.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  12. #11
    WiZBiT's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by PNH80 View Post
    I personally won't be having another 'hot hatch' style car but just out of interest, if both were available right now.... How many of you S3 boys would save a couple of quid and have an R20T?
    I took that to mean your current car is a hot hatch. Its a fair assumption to make?

    I'll ignore the the snipe about patronising me, simply because we are chatting over the internet, and for you to patronise me would be rather difficult. I.e. What you say will have little or no effect.

    Can you show me these obvious weight differences between a 2wd a3, and 2wd golf please

    In future please dont waste our time posting about advising you which model year and what extras to spec on your s3 when youve got no intention of buying one.

    I'm not a Fanboy, I own 3 cars, one of which happens to be an Audi.

    Re-reading your post, and now your reply, its obvious your stoking a fire, but also, its obvious your a dreamer/tyre kicker.

    Cheers
    Last edited by WiZBiT; 10th March 2009 at 11:42.

  13. #12
    WiZBiT's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by warrencox View Post
    and it is a shame, as with the R26R from Renault, the Focus RS, and the ever closer R20T Golf/Scirocco offerings from VW, now is the time they could really do with it. Problem is it would be stupidly expensive (40k+), as it would be pretty bespoke (they just couldn't stretch that 2.0T any thinner), and as much as I'd love one, I'd rather have the M3 for that kind of money as the platform of the S3 is old and slightly numb.

    Too true,

    The S3 was punching above its weight back in the day, but now it's looking slightly tired against the competition in the style/performance stakes..

  14. #13
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    106
    Now! Now! Boys play nicely, or you'll both sit in the naughty corner...
    dave
    A3 2.0Tfsi D.S.G Sportback. Leather, light and rain pack, Interior light pack, bose, bluetooth, 6cd, multifunction wheel, cruise, Heated front/rear seats, Folding mirrors, rear parking sensors , ipod connection in glove box, open sky roof, dual climate, sun blinds, electric drivers seat,

  15. #14
    biggiep's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    156
    I have to say I think the Scirocco is a huge let down in the flesh, very ugly indeed. I don't think I'd buy a R20T over an S3 unless I couldn't afford the S3, the residuals will be higher and its just a lovely place to be.

    If you go off the mentality of well its that same but cheaper then everyone would be driving cupras or vRS' but the fact is that most people want the prestige of those 4 lovely rings on the front. If you don't then buy another make or whatever your happy with. I think the S3 is more of a classy speedy coupe not a raw hot hatch.

    So to answer the question no I would not even consider an R20T if I was in a position to afford an S3.
    Biggie Biggie Biggie can't you see!
    2008 a5 3.0TDi Quattro. And for when I wanna go fast.... Suzuki B-King (Hayabusa with no fairing, think 0-100 in 5.1 seconds!)

  16. #15
    Ess_Three's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,385
    Quote Originally Posted by biggiep View Post
    I don't think I'd buy a R20T over an S3 unless I couldn't afford the S3, the residuals will be higher and its just a lovely place to be.
    But what 'IF' the Golf was a more fun car to drive...or regarded as being a 'better' drivers car?
    If you wanted a fun car, at the expense of the luxury/prestige aspect then surely you'd take the Golf (the 'you' I use not meaning specifically you directly BTW)The decision will have nothing to do with if you can afford the extra, or not.
    I find it hard to believe that someone looking to spend 24000 can't stretch to 27-28000 if the car is really that much better.

    Following your reasoning, people buy a Golf GTI because thay can't afford an A3 2.0 TFSI? That's bull****...


    but the fact is that most people want the prestige of those 4 lovely rings on the front.
    You know something...
    That is so far from the truth, and so patronising that I have no desire to own another Audi until people like you get bored of their latest fashion statement car and move onto something else.
    I couldn't give a toss what the badge is...and the thought of buying an Audi because I "want the prestige of those 4 lovely rings on the front" is laughable.
    Oh my god...some people.


    Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

  17. #16
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,134
    If there had been a Haldex 4wd car elsewhere in the VAG range that didn't feel cheap inside, I have to say I would have gone there.

    I'm not really that bothered by the Audi badge personally, and was going to buy a Leon Cupra. However the dashboard was so woeful I went to look at the Golf. At that time there was no Ed30, so when I'd seen beyond the magazine over-hype I went to look at the Audi S3 / TT 2.0T. The TT 200PS was too slow, and the S3 was quick enough, but just a lovely place to sit. To me what I thought I wanted (near 300bhp & Haldex), became incidental to the fact I loved the interior of the S3. It felt special inside and somewhere that actually felt like its cabin reflected the cost of the car.

    To me a badge is a badge. And to bear that out I know mates who have better dealer service from Skoda than I've had from Audi.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  18. #17
    Ess_Three's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,385
    Quote Originally Posted by warrencox View Post
    To me a badge is a badge. And to bear that out I know mates who have better dealer service from Skoda than I've had from Audi.
    I do.
    I get superb service from my local Skoda dealer, I got good service from the local VW dealer...but the Audi dealer was a disgrace.

    Hell, what do I know though...I only have a Skoda as I can't afford 4 rings on my grille.


    Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

  19. #18
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Ess_Three View Post
    I do.
    I get superb service from my local Skoda dealer, I got good service from the local VW dealer...but the Audi dealer was a disgrace.

    Hell, what do I know though...I only have a Skoda as I can't afford 4 rings on my grille.
    The mini statement under my username has never been an unsubstantiated accident.

    From my childhood of the 80's I've always aspired to own an Audi Quattro (since my love of the Group B rally Audi's).

    Finally I got my wish (albeit with Haldex), and they say never meet your heros. They are right!!

    The product is not particularly reliable, the dealers are a shambles, and because Audi are currently riding a wave of popularity with sales figures in excess of Merc & BMW they think they are faultless. Their abhorrent arrogance could be their undoing. I have never encountered such ignorance in a dealer service group as I have at Audi. They know next to nothing without a fault code.

    I love my car as it's generally very nice, but when you pay what you do for it to do anything else would leave a very sour taste in your mouth.

    I love the design as much as anything, certainly not the label, but I would be incredibly hard pressed to buy another Audi as I have no confidence in the after sales. To be fair from the moment I engaged with Audi I feel I have had to guide them to help me from the beginning (even arguing to prove with my dealer that adaptive lights and bluetooth were an available option on the S3!). Its been a catalogue of disasters TBH, and the fact I'm still in an S3 is a miracle as many times I've just wanted to sell it off an buy something else. Problem is I just like it so much when it works. Jack of all trades, master of none.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  20. #19
    Low life livin' the high life.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by WiZBiT View Post
    I took that to mean your current car is a hot hatch. Its a fair assumption to make?

    I'll ignore the the snipe about patronising me, simply because we are chatting over the internet, and for you to patronise me would be rather difficult. I.e. What you say will have little or no effect.

    Can you show me these obvious weight differences between a 2wd a3, and 2wd golf please

    In future please dont waste our time posting about advising you which model year and what extras to spec on your s3 when youve got no intention of buying one.

    I'm not a Fanboy, I own 3 cars, one of which happens to be an Audi.

    Re-reading your post, and now your reply, its obvious your stoking a fire, but also, its obvious your a dreamer/tyre kicker.

    Cheers

    Wow you really are easily offended and almost slightly bitter about something.

    I'll keep it short... 1. No that was not a fair assumption to make, you were too lazy to read my thread properly. Just admit it, it's cool.
    2. The Golf GTI is a lighter car than the A3 2.0T, this is a fact, look it up. Or are you too lazy to do that as well?
    3. Again you choose not to read things properly. I said...An S3 is still a possibility. Mainly as a stop gap before i get my next car later this year which will be either an M3 or a 55 reg Carrera. Stay tuned....We'll see who's a tyre kicker.

    and ..4. A dreamer? No sir. Just asking for opinions on a Golf LOL.

    You make a lot of assumptions and do a lot of guessing yet still seem to get everything wrong.... Are you Derek Acorah??
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

    For Sale:

    S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

  21. #20
    HotboxDeluxe's Avatar
    automatic

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Heidelberg, DE
    Posts
    1,127
    I personally couldn't care less about the badge - as long as it's a German car
    Audi prestige? I'm not sure, but isn't it turning into a tosser's badge like what happened to BMW in the 80s? I ended up in an A3 because it was my dad's old company car and I got it cheap at the end of his lease. I prefer it to the equivalent Golf, not because of the rings, just because personally I think the Mk5 Golf isn't the nicest looking thing. If I was choosing a car from scratch now then I'd consider 4 or 5 German marques (or a Skoda, no lie! german enough for me).
    As it is, I've promised myself a new car in 2 years time, probably a "poshness bracket" or 2 up from the A3. Theres a couple of Audis in the shortlist but finding equal favour with stuff from VW, Mercedes, and BMW. I'd love a Porker but I need back seats and a 911 probably doesn't come into it, financially. And you'd need to shoot me before I get into a Cayenne diesel

    4wd, turbo Golf, you say? Hmm...also interesting!
    Still loving the 130i like the sideways dirtbag I am

  22. #21
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by biggiep View Post
    I don't think I'd buy a R20T over an S3 unless I couldn't afford the S3, the residuals will be higher and its just a lovely place to be.

    If you go off the mentality of well its that same but cheaper then everyone would be driving cupras or vRS' but the fact is that most people want the prestige of those 4 lovely rings on the front. If you don't then buy another make or whatever your happy with. I think the S3 is more of a classy speedy coupe not a raw hot hatch.

    So to answer the question no I would not even consider an R20T if I was in a position to afford an S3.
    Like the man said.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  23. #22
    WiZBiT's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by PNH80 View Post
    Mainly as a stop gap before i get my next car later this year which will be either an M3 or a 55 reg Carrera.

  24. #23
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,134
    oh dear..... I get the fact you two aren't going to see eye to eye on this.

    Whilst it's none of my business, and in the broader scheme of things it doesn't really affect me, isn't this the point where you agree to disagree and unlock horns? In my eyes neither of you have anything to prove. You can sling all the $hit in the world in any direction and it won't necessarily change a thing for the better.

    For the sake of the quality of the forum, and the enjoyment of its users you could always 'celebrate your differences' rather than rutting like stags about them.

    We've got enough fight on our hands just dealing with Audi UK, rather than pciking at each other!!!

    Cheers, and no offense meant.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  25. #24
    S3-Dan's Avatar
    Quattro

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    alnwick northumberland
    Posts
    178

    oh man this is the funniest thread iv ever been through haha im in stitches u ALL make such good points but ''each to their own'' should close it off dont u think ??
    and my personal views on it are..........Audi of course, iv been in golfs etc and seats and to be fair VAG have got them all lined up perfectly in order if u ask me seats are cheap VW are nice and Audi are up there if u have the cash u pay for what u get (except for service as some people pointed out) but i recently had mine in and got the best service iv ever had in my life car was picked up and delivered back within 24 hours with a new clutch...faultless
    altho they polished it with a brillo pad and i now need to buff the whole car nevermind i had it on the list anyways still not so happy but hey !

    Ibis S3 / GT3076R / 18" TD 1.3s Toyo R888's / H&R ARBs & Monotubes / USP LPFS / Turbosmart Eboost2 / WOT box / 500HP (EST)...and a TDI badge

  26. #25
    biggiep's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Ess_Three View Post
    But what 'IF' the Golf was a more fun car to drive...or regarded as being a 'better' drivers car?
    If you wanted a fun car, at the expense of the luxury/prestige aspect then surely you'd take the Golf (the 'you' I use not meaning specifically you directly BTW)The decision will have nothing to do with if you can afford the extra, or not.
    I find it hard to believe that someone looking to spend 24000 can't stretch to 27-28000 if the car is really that much better.

    Following your reasoning, people buy a Golf GTI because thay can't afford an A3 2.0 TFSI? That's bull****...




    You know something...
    That is so far from the truth, and so patronising that I have no desire to own another Audi until people like you get bored of their latest fashion statement car and move onto something else.
    I couldn't give a toss what the badge is...and the thought of buying an Audi because I "want the prestige of those 4 lovely rings on the front" is laughable.
    Oh my god...some people.

    I had three Fabia vRS and loved them because they were fun but I didnt get an a3 2.0 TDi to replace it because I thought it would be the same car I wanted something which was a nicer place to sit (and yes I had an SE fabia no.158). What I'm saying is that there is a lot of weight with a badge when the car backs it up.

    Why make it personal and say oh my god some people, you don't know me and if you said that to my face then thats fair do's you'd have to have some big stones but why on here? Why do you think your view is more important than others my god some people pffft lol. If the GTi is such a much better drivers car and people don't care about having an audi interior and it not being quite as hot hatch like then why dont Audi stop selling cars?

    What I was trying to say is that its for exactly the fact that the S3 is less fun is exactly why some people will buy it. I didnt say all of them will but if you want a pure drivers car then you wouldn't bother with the R20T or anything VAG you'd have a second hand lotus elise? Or is that because you know the golf will last longer? Or is that then not about badge?

    I personally find Blackburn Audi to be a massive improvement on Simpsons Skoda who never ring back and can only be described as lazy. Tom at Woodheads skoda in Blackpool was fantastic before it got closed in fairness and they are much better on warranty claims.

    As with everything its personal choice and I have no problem with people having different views there just is no need to make it personal. I was generalising because thats in my opinion about the long and short of it from looking in most of the threads.

    Don't hate the player, hate the game!
    Biggie Biggie Biggie can't you see!
    2008 a5 3.0TDi Quattro. And for when I wanna go fast.... Suzuki B-King (Hayabusa with no fairing, think 0-100 in 5.1 seconds!)

  27. #26
    Ess_Three's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,385
    Quote Originally Posted by biggiep View Post
    Why make it personal and say oh my god some people, you don't know me and if you said that to my face then thats fair do's you'd have to have some big stones but why on here?
    Ooh...i'm scared!
    I'd have no hesitation in saying to your face, what I write on here, I can assure you of that.

    This statement:
    but the fact is that most people want the prestige of those 4 lovely rings on the front
    Is what grips my ****.

    I have no desire to have anything in common with someone who announces something like that.
    Rest assured...I for one, can do without the 'prestige' (Ha!) of those "4 lovely rings on the front".


    Why do you think your view is more important than others my god some people pffft lol.
    I think no such thing...but I seem to recall I have the right to not agree and to post my comments too?
    All are valid...but those comments that suggest that the owner has in some way 'come good' because they have the "prestige of those 4 lovely rings on the front" is pretty sad to me.


    If the GTi is such a much better drivers car and people don't care about having an audi interior and it not being quite as hot hatch like then why dont Audi stop selling cars?
    Maybe because Audi build A3s that are not aimed directly at the Golf GTI...and expect their customers to be clever enough to work that out for themselves and buy them for different reasons?


    What I was trying to say is that its for exactly the fact that the S3 is less fun is exactly why some people will buy it. I didnt say all of them will but if you want a pure drivers car then you wouldn't bother with the R20T or anything VAG you'd have a second hand lotus elise? Or is that because you know the golf will last longer? Or is that then not about badge?
    Or would it be that you can't get in and out of an Elise without making a prat of yourself, because they leak, and because if you hit anything bigger than a dog, you come off worst?
    What if you need to be able to put people in the back every now and then?
    Elise?...er, no.


    As with everything its personal choice and I have no problem with people having different views there just is no need to make it personal. I was generalising because thats in my opinion about the long and short of it from looking in most of the threads.
    You are welcome to post your opinions as you see fit, but please don't ever assume that I fit into your generalisation of what people want:
    but the fact is that most people want the prestige of those 4 lovely rings on the front


    Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

  28. #27
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,134
    You can't beat a good cross-brand comparison thread. There was a Leon Cupra vs R32 thread on SeatCupra.net the other day and that generated some equally passionate views.

    My take is that there is no law that says anyone has to agree on anything (makes the world a much more colorful place). That said, we can all respect the fact that each of us is 'entitled' to a point of view whether we agree with it or not.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  29. #28
    biggiep's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    156
    But thats precisely what I mean that I didn't say that you fit into that type of customer, but if you read the majority of the threads on here people are generally looking for a more upmarket golf if they want an A3. Most threads which have comparisons always boil down to it being a nicer place to be.

    I don't even disagree with your point I have had my time in Skoda's and golfs and a bora. The only thing that got my goat is that you had to say oh my god some people when from reading the threads in this section thats the general consensus that comes out wouldn't you agree? Just read how many people put its the interior and the residuals, thats all part of the brand just like mercedes still hold their value well regardless if there are better made budget cars than their slipping standards (although slightly better recently).

    All i'm saying is that there is no need to be condescending just say what you feel like "I don't really agree with that because i think such and such" then there is no beef, but there simply was no reason to put oh my god some people because I did not say that every person was like that and never would.

    We all know there are more focused cars out there, better 0-60 times, ones which do a nurburgring lap 3 seconds quicker but what gets us to buy a car is more often than not the make. If it wasn't there wouldnt be a need for an Audi forum it would be a VAG forum or fast cars forum.
    Biggie Biggie Biggie can't you see!
    2008 a5 3.0TDi Quattro. And for when I wanna go fast.... Suzuki B-King (Hayabusa with no fairing, think 0-100 in 5.1 seconds!)

  30. #29
    Iggu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,224
    Brilliant fun this thread.
    More please.
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

  31. #30
    10blazin's Avatar
    HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    gorton
    Posts
    3,272
    audi dealers suck i wont buy audi again just because of that there attitude stinks and any more of it this arguing im a fill you all in lol joke .... im going bmw i reckon id love to stay with audi but i had such a bad experience i wana blow every audi garage up no front armrest no back armrest charged me 150 which i though was for an i pod dock all they done is throw a ****ty lead in and get this the day the car was delivered i watched the driver pull up and scrape the alloy down the kerb he put it on paper it was his fault and when we phoned audi derby they just ignored us so audi is finished with us there stuck up tits and what makes me laugh they barely show you respect unless buying sumut over 50 grand and most of em are driving to work in whack cars and they've got the audacity to look down on you i hope derby Audi implodes after all that id have the r20t golf lol if they do a four door

  32. #31
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,803
    Now my non-useful input on this topic....

    Would like to see what that car looked like before i decided. But i got my heart set on a s3 next so doubt i would even consider any thing else. At the moment every thing good with audi, and i know my next 2 cars will 100% an audi.

    But After Sale/Service is SH*T. I got better service when i went to bmw, vauxhall and ford than i do at my local audi! Bridgend aka Sinclair audi have bougth my hopes/faith back up and so not all audi service's are arseholes! But i enjoying driving the cars, they way they look inside and out so S3 or another audi it is for me 100%.

    Not really a fan off golf to be honest, never ever though about owning one (thats a lie just popped into my head i was going to have a new white gt tdi limited edition last year) i think they nice and all that, but inside **** big let down! And too many how do i put it...hmmm... drug dealers around Cardiff driving them. And idiots driving them. Also i'll say last few months noticed more f*cking kn*bs driving audi's.
    And this thread has made me laugh i've had a **** day probably the worse month of my life at the moment lol but threads like these are making me laugh. The little disagreements and every thing

    Thanks

    Ashley
    Last edited by Ash B; 10th March 2009 at 16:42.
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

  33. #32
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    AUDIS are a `luxury` item, as BMWs as MERCS as are most premium products.

    Why have a 80 Prada T-shirt when NEXT will sell you something 99% the same for a tenner?

    Why have a 2 grand OMEGA watch on your wrist that will go to 4million metres when it will probably never get wet?

    They are the fruits of our labour.
    We want them because they are desirable.
    Because we like them. No apology needed.

    Desirable doesnt mean `fast round a track` or `better built than a SKODA`.
    Desirable means Desirable.
    Its something that makes you `feel good` to have.
    End of story.
    Live and let live.

    Amen.

    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  34. #33
    WiZBiT's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by 10blazin View Post
    audi dealers suck i wont buy audi again just because of that there attitude stinks and any more of it this arguing im a fill you all in lol joke .... im going bmw i reckon id love to stay with audi but i had such a bad experience i wana blow every audi garage up no front armrest no back armrest charged me 150 which i though was for an i pod dock all they done is throw a ****ty lead in and get this the day the car was delivered i watched the driver pull up and scrape the alloy down the kerb he put it on paper it was his fault and when we phoned audi derby they just ignored us so audi is finished with us there stuck up tits and what makes me laugh they barely show you respect unless buying sumut over 50 grand and most of em are driving to work in whack cars and they've got the audacity to look down on you i hope derby Audi implodes after all that id have the r20t golf lol if they do a four door
    Can I come up for air now?

  35. #34
    mac1403's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    wales uk
    Posts
    956
    Quote Originally Posted by 10blazin View Post
    audi dealers suck i wont buy audi again just because of that there attitude stinks and any more of it this arguing im a fill you all in lol joke .... im going bmw i reckon id love to stay with audi but i had such a bad experience i wana blow every audi garage up no front armrest no back armrest charged me 150 which i though was for an i pod dock all they done is throw a ****ty lead in and get this the day the car was delivered i watched the driver pull up and scrape the alloy down the kerb he put it on paper it was his fault and when we phoned audi derby they just ignored us so audi is finished with us there stuck up tits and what makes me laugh they barely show you respect unless buying sumut over 50 grand and most of em are driving to work in whack cars and they've got the audacity to look down on you i hope derby Audi implodes after all that id have the r20t golf lol if they do a four door
    I agree with the majority of what you are saying. Believe me when I have had my fair share of dealerships whom I would not waste my breath even talking to alone letting them work on my car. BUT, as with anything there are good dealerships out there. My dealings with Tetbury Audi have been second to none with everything dealt with in a timely manner with polite salesmen. I know this is a rare thing now a days.....but they are around. I am on my 5th Audi now and will continue with the brand. Before anyone mentions anything. I have had various other makes between the Audi's and have always gone back to them
    Facelift S3, Sprint Blue, Bucket seats, Sunroof, Sat Nav, Bose, Elect Mirrors, Light and Rain, Interior Light pack, Flat Tyre Warning, GSM Phone Prep, Led upgrade, Illuminated speaker grills.

  36. #35
    Ess_Three's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,385
    Quote Originally Posted by WiZBiT View Post
    Can I come up for air now?
    I believe there is a "10blazin" to English translator on the 'net somewhere.
    I'll be damned if I can find it though.


    Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

  37. #36
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Ess_Three View Post
    I believe there is a "10blazin" to English translator on the 'net somewhere.
    I'll be damned if I can find it though.


    He'd make a great car auctioneer if he could speak like he writes!
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  38. #37
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    222
    Back on topic:

    From what I've read, the R20T will be FWD and not 4WD.
    The power output from the 5cyl turbo is only rumoured to be 270bhp which is way down on the output from the RSTT (340ish).

    I'd imagine any RS3 would be close to the 340ish output of the RSTT and of course be 4WD.

    Therein would lie some major differences between RS3 & R20T.

    R20T looks lush though.....

  39. #38
    V6Pete's Avatar
    Now running on Bentley's y'all

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Don76 View Post
    Back on topic:

    From what I've read, the R20T will be FWD and not 4WD.
    The power output from the 5cyl turbo is only rumoured to be 270bhp which is way down on the output from the RSTT (340ish).

    I'd imagine any RS3 would be close to the 340ish output of the RSTT and of course be 4WD.

    Therein would lie some major differences between RS3 & R20T.

    R20T looks lush though.....
    It surprises me if VW are looking to put 270bhp through the front wheels. Also the previous R models have always been 4WD...
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

    Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

  40. #39
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,047
    If VW package and price the R20T right then I would definately consider one.

    AUDI will have to the raise the bar with the S3 power wise, whether it be in the form of a run-out evolution special (like the ED30) of the current 8P S3, RS3 or completely new model.

    Must admit, having gone from a Golf to an S3, I would be happy to forgo the `seat of the pants` attributes the Golf might give you for the looks/trinkets/badge you get with the S3.

    IMO unless the R20T is MUCH better to drive than the current GTi then it wont be MUCH better than the current S3, if at all.

    Be interesting to see how VAG market the two cars anyway.

    cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  41. #40
    10blazin's Avatar
    HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    gorton
    Posts
    3,272
    i know my English is not the best lol but ive had a hard life and thick schooling lol so up yours pal lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Ess_Three View Post
    I believe there is a "10blazin" to English translator on the 'net somewhere.
    I'll be damned if I can find it though.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO