Is it possible to fit a Quattro system to a MK5 GTI?

Rabbit222

Reaction score
Website
www.vwclub.co.za
Hi Guys!

A mate of mine happened to find a complete quattro system off a wrecked 3.2 A3. He is toying with the idea of fitting this to his GTI. Will this be an easy task or should he give it a skip? Any advice and or tech info would be highly appreciated.

TIA

my mate has a gti edition 30 and wants a 4 motion diff, i think thats more reasonable we dont know if its possible but whay not ??? its the same car same year etc etc
as for the A3 to golf gti i dont know i wouldnt of thaught it would be as easy as getting a 4 motion buddy sorrreeee :(

There's something about the rear of the car which is different (i'm sure other people will know better than me). Various components are located in slightly different positions in the rear of quattro A3's. I can't be any more specific than that due to complate lack of knowledge but i don't think it's a simple job at all. Might not even be possible.

i'm sure its possible but with the golf platform not being setup for 4wd it would be a nightmare to do, just look at the relative depths of the boot in the a3, the non-quattro has a much deeper boot as its not got all the components pushing the floor up.

mk5 Golf underside:
AWE_mk5_exhaust_640.jpg

vs a3 3.2 quattro :
BigUndersideMediumLarge.jpg

you can see on the right of the bottom photo where all the quattro gubbins are under the chunkey brace next to the exhast, this space is eating into the boot floor and doesn't exist in the golf.... Unless you start with a 4montion or get busy with a hammer ;)

For a start he'd have to raise the floor of the boot as the rear differential means that the boot floor in a Quattro car is about 10 mm higher to accommodate the extra transmission equipment.

Many people have dreamed about doing this, but it requires some fairly major surgery. You need to consider that the exhaust on Quattro / Haldex cars are also different to 2wd versions, so there may also be implications of re-routing the exhaust piping under the car.

Then I guess the Quattro's have driven rear wheels (at times), so this is why the rear brakes on an S3 (8P), are bigger than on its VW / SEAT cousins. This should also be factored in.

There may even be the requirement to modify the floor pan to accomodate the propshafts / rear driveshafts.

I'd hazard a guess if you were to outsource the labour to a pro-workshop you wouldn't see much change from £10k. In fact the reason you don't hear of this being done is it is just too hard / expensive, though not impossible.

Instead he'd be better off spending the money on a new Mk6 Golf R20T (270PS), as that may have Haldex.

He could find a 4wd bodyshell and transfer everything from the ED30. That should keep him busy for a while. ;)

REVO agent not to far from me did an interesting 4wd conversion on a MK4.

4motion rolling shell.
Rebuilt with 18T Gti bits.
PD150 lump + R32 exhaust, REVO, bigger IC etc...200+bhp.

Lots of hassle and cost unless you have access to to the right insurance salvage and parts.
Different though.