Difference between tiptronic and dsg ?

haze20

Reaction score
Hi, my first post.

Now I am about to go ahead and buy my first Audi.

An A3 140TDI Sport with all the trimmings.

It is the facelifted 2004 version so will it have the tiptronic box or the dsg box ?

Can't find any info yet been searching for ages.

Any help appreciated.

James

Should be DSG, Tiptronic is just another word for the paddles.

I think the standard autos were only available as SE spec. Not sure on that though.

Certainly all the automatic TDI 140's I've seen were DSG.

Tiptronic is actually the system developed by Porsche with the sprung manual shift. It is licensed to Audi and many other manufacturers.

I think the standard autos were only available as SE spec. Not sure on that though.

Thanks for your input.

Certainly all the automatic TDI 140's I've seen were DSG.

Tiptronic is actually the system developed by Porsche with the sprung manual shift. It is licensed to Audi and many other manufacturers.

Is there a way of finding out from Audi what gearbox the car left with from the factory ?

Thanks again.

I've seen some sellers incorrectly described cars as Tiptronic when they actually mean to say that it has the steering wheel paddles. AFAIK not all Sports had the paddles.

I've seen some sellers incorrectly described cars as Tiptronic when they actually mean to say that it has the steering wheel paddles. AFAIK not all Sports had the paddles.

Thats exaclty the problem I am facing, doesn't seem that many people/dealers understand what gearbox's they have.

I can see why as its not that clear !

Thats exaclty the problem I am facing, doesn't seem that many people/dealers understand what gearbox's they have.

I can see why as its not that clear !

Tiptronic is a term first used by Porsche to describe the action on their gearboxes of being able to change gear by just pushing forward or backward on the centre stick. It's not directly related to having or using paddles to change gear.

Audi have only ever supplied the 2.0TDI with the DSG type gearbox. Other cars in the range have had DSG and a conventional automatic gearbox. The conventional gearbox was supplied with both a 'tiptronic' centre lever and paddle gear-changers.

Until recently the A3 was the only car in the Audi range to have the DSG because it was originally designed by VW for a transversely mounted engine. Audi have now done work themselves to come up with a DSG (or S-tronic in Audi speak) to use on the longitudinally mounted engines in the rest of it's range, gradually replacing both normal automatics and their multi-tronic range.

Tiptronic (or "triptronic" or any other lingual mangling) seems to be the common word used by many to describe any car with 2 pedals and "manual" gearchange abilities - heard the term applied to many brands from Porsche to BMW to Smart. Like "hoover" means vacuum cleaner.

Tiptronic as several others here have said has nothing to do with the paddles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiptronic

It's a Porsche designed autobox with electronic control,and really not a bad gearbox at all.....I had this on my A4 3.0TDi.
The shifts aren't especially fast,as you'd expect,although better in Sport mode,but no way as fast as DSG is in shifting between gears or as smooth under full throttle.

Thanks guys, called my local dealer and they confirmed its dsg.

A3 ownership here I come !