Car mag coments

nig63

Reaction score
Hi I have got an S3 on order and have been looking at car mags and noticed some complain of vague steering and jittery ride how do you all find yours .

I'm coming from a 2004 MINI Cooper S, widely acclaimed for its razor sharp steering, and after another S3 test drive today I'm pretty happy with the steering in the Audi. Sure, it's not as immediate as the MINI, but there's no problems at all with quick changes of direction.

As for the jittery ride, the S3 is like a hovercraft over bumps in comparison to my MINI on Eibach springs. :idea:

I would sort of agree with that. S3's steering is not as direct; you feel that there is a rubber band between the wheels and you. I found the ride OK (and better than a standard s-line car) but on the whole not particularly confidence inspiring.

Is it possibly to change the steering settings .

I think this is so subjective, a simple change of tires can have a massive effect....

I always remember my S4 turned even more vague when for some reason I decided to get some Hancook tires, binned them almost straight away and stuck with the bridgestone's.

Do all S3's come from the factory with the same tires? as I dont have any of this vauge steering on my 09 car....

I think my car has Dunlop tires....

I found the ride OK (and better than a standard s-line car) but on the whole not particularly confidence inspiring.

Really? Maybe I've had too much time in FWD cars, but I reckon the S3 is great how you can just chuck it into a corner and let quattro do its thing. Okay, you'll find understeer if you try hard enough, but that point is miles beyond most FWD chassis.

The S3 also sits much flatter through corners than our GTI, which gives you heaps of confidence to keep the boot in a bit longer.

I can't wait to get one. :yes: