Please Help - My Car Is Bust

Hasn't the DMF been an achilles heel for VW/Audi for quite some time now? Like the illustrious coil packs, some things just never go away.

I've only just seen this thread....it's exactly what i had had with mine after a remap,and i'm only running a 'conservative' 300 ft/lbs. It had about 25k on the clock when the DMF started to give up - slipping in 5th and 6th when i gave it some wellie. The clutch itself was fine,but i had it replaced with a Sachs high performance one,and OE DMF -the increased clamping pressure of the Sachs should insure no more sliiping,espaecially as i don't intend a turbo upgrade.

Hey up mate - long time no "speak".

Very glad to hear this I must say. I'm going for a new Dual Mass Flywheel with the Sachs upgrade rather than the Single Mass which sounds too hardcore for me.
You've had no problems at all then since fitting these two things ?

Hey up! Yep,all is good Iggu,no probs at all with the new set up. I was toying with the SMF,but didn't want the hardcore feel of it,and although the Sachs takes a bit of getting used to - it's a bit more aggresive,and slightly noisier,it feels good,and i can now drive it with confidence with some heavy right foot - the grin factor is still there on a daily basis!

Going off topic for a mo...I must admit i was a little disappointed with my dyno results,i was expecting similar torque figures to the bhp,but as as the guys at JBS said - it's how it feels to drive - they could have given me another 50ft/lbs,but it wouldn't have been as progressive. I love it anyway!!

So you're going Revo? Git!

Hey up! Yep,all is good Iggu,no probs at all with the new set up. I was toying with the SMF,but didn't want the hardcore feel of it,and although the Sachs takes a bit of getting used to - it's a bit more aggresive,and slightly noisier,it feels good,and i can now drive it with confidence with some heavy right foot - the grin factor is still there on a daily basis!

Going off topic for a mo...I must admit i was a little disappointed with my dyno results,i was expecting similar torque figures to the bhp,but as as the guys at JBS said - it's how it feels to drive - they could have given me another 50ft/lbs,but it wouldn't have been as progressive. I love it anyway!!

So you're going Revo? Git!

Revo 2+ is only £100 - if you are already Revo'd that is.
What torque fig. did you get then ? 340bhp is about the same as mine (342) and my torque with Revo Stage 1 is 344. I don't really want THAT much more than than this to be honest. I just want the fuel pump to keep it at this level for a longer range in the revs.

If the car has 50ft/lbs less torque then its going to be slower, so what are JBS saying? It feels slow compared to a Revo Stage 2+ car? Probably does yeah..

You wont be disappointed mate, the fuel pump means that the turbo can perform to its full potential throughout the rev range, you wont get any more peak torque, but you will get the peak a touch earlier, and for a much longer spread across the rev range..

You wont be disappointed mate, the fuel pump means that the turbo can perform to its full potential throughout the rev range, you wont get any more peak torque, but you will get the peak a touch earlier, and for a much longer spread across the rev range..

Just what the doctor ordered ..... all my torque comes in a wallop now so the fun is short-lived. So looking forward to this mod.

Jonny - I know you have Stage2+ with a BT kit but do you have Autotech or APR in your Ed30 ?

Revo 2+ is only £100 - if you are already Revo'd that is.
What torque fig. did you get then ? 340bhp is about the same as mine (342) and my torque with Revo Stage 1 is 344. I don't really want THAT much more than than this to be honest. I just want the fuel pump to keep it at this level for a longer range in the revs.

:3sadwalk: 301 ft/lbs
edit:301.9!

:3sadwalk: 301 ft/lbs

Blimey - that must be the map being overly conservative surely ?
Most standard cars get that on RRs .....
Can't JBS/CC tweak the map for you ?

Yeah,they could...

...i'll ask 'em next time i'm down that way! It sure feels potent enough,but then again,i haven't driven Revo Stage 2+!

Hi

How much is the price for a new sachs clutch with new OE dmfw,without work ?

//wolfie

Will the clutch for the diesel be similar to the S3s? Would put me off remapping if so as it would be 300+ lb/ft torque which is similar to what these S3s are putting out

Hasn't the DMF been an achilles heel for VW/Audi for quite some time now? Like the illustrious coil packs, some things just never go away.

Right I finally have my car back after 10 days of deliberation and more than a few hours on a ramp. If you look back up the thread you'll see I was having the DMF/Clutch slip problem and promised an update.

My dealer acknowledged the problem after a trip out with a technician. They then proceeded to keep the car for 3 days for further testing, many a conversation ensued. I then got a phonecall from the dealer asking if they could take my gearbox out, I obviously replied saying "if its going to cost me money then no, however if its covered under warranty then yes" thankfully the answer was "its all covered under warranty"

Anyway I picked up the car yesterday (after 10 days) and it has had the following replaced

A06F105266AD - Flywheel
A06F141015CX - Clutchplate
A0A5141671 - Bearing
A1J0721468C - Breather
AN90665001 - Bolt

I thought you all might like to know what had been done and the part codes...

I now have the S3 back to the car it was when I bought it. Now I have a new clutch and flywheel I am going to risk a remap.....

Right I finally have my car back after 10 days of deliberation and more than a few hours on a ramp. If you look back up the thread you'll see I was having the DMF/Clutch slip problem and promised an update.

My dealer acknowledged the problem after a trip out with a technician. They then proceeded to keep the car for 3 days for further testing, many a conversation ensued. I then got a phonecall from the dealer asking if they could take my gearbox out, I obviously replied saying "if its going to cost me money then no, however if its covered under warranty then yes" thankfully the answer was "its all covered under warranty"

Anyway I picked up the car yesterday (after 10 days) and it has had the following replaced

A06F105266AD - Flywheel
A06F141015CX - Clutchplate
A0A5141671 - Bearing
A1J0721468C - Breather
AN90665001 - Bolt

I thought you all might like to know what had been done and the part codes...

I now have the S3 back to the car it was when I bought it. Now I have a new clutch and flywheel I am going to risk a remap.....

Now that is interesting, and for other S3 owners experiencing similar problems, very useful info mate.

It looks like they have NOT put a Sachs clutch in there (Sachs part number is WC141881864999502). Must be a LUK replacement. Also, on my AmD invoice it shows "Sachs Organic Disk £220" and "Sachs Clutch Cover £223". I wonder if they have replaced both these parts given that your invoice only shows a "Clutchplate" item ?

Did you ask them about Sachs by any chance ?

Actually its funny you mention that, as I had the conversation around replacing the parts with the same as the faulty ones. Basically my questioning was "are you going to replace these parts every 36k miles if it happens again, surely the receipt for the work in my hands gives me every right to come back if the problem happens again?" I got a blank look on her face

I had already come to the decision that I am going to remap the car and then if the clutch/DMF goes then it will be back again for the warranty work and replaced with something different.

I will take it on the chin if I have to replace the clutch/DMF with the upgraded parts after the remap as it will be worth it in the long run.

Do you think I have a right to have different parts put in the car after a failure?

Actually its funny you mention that, as I had the conversation around replacing the parts with the same as the faulty ones. Basically my questioning was "are you going to replace these parts every 36k miles if it happens again, surely the receipt for the work in my hands gives me every right to come back if the problem happens again?" I got a blank look on her face

I had already come to the decision that I am going to remap the car and then if the clutch/DMF goes then it will be back again for the warranty work and replaced with something different.

I will take it on the chin if I have to replace the clutch/DMF with the upgraded parts after the remap as it will be worth it in the long run.

Do you think I have a right to have different parts put in the car after a failure?

Interesting that - I would have thought your receipt for new parts gives you fresh protection from the date of fitting. I'm guessing but I assume that's the case.
This one might be fine even after the remap - mine was shoving 344 lb/ft through the standard clutch on numerous track days and autobahn runs for nearly a year before it started to go so you should be fine with just a remap. Here's hoping anyway.

Yeh, here's hoping! Roll on the remap, its tough to know which one but I think i'll settle on a bluefin for convenience and the ability to roll back in the event of a component going pop!

Thanks for all the advice though.

Olly

Yeh, here's hoping! Roll on the remap, its tough to know which one but I think i'll settle on a bluefin for convenience and the ability to roll back in the event of a component going pop!

Thanks for all the advice though.

Olly

I'm sure you've read them already but these threads will be worth a read for you .....

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=57435&highlight=unhappy+bluefin

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=57349&highlight=prosport

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=60133&highlight=rs3

So from what I read the Bluefin experience is on the whole a good one but may require a lot of tweaking to get it right for my car.

I can also see that you now run a revo map, I am guessing thats because you wanted to take the car further and that isn't possible with the Bluefin?

I may still take the plunge with the Bluefin as the customer service you have received with yours is inspiring. I am amazed at the power and torque of some of the standard cars though - outstanding

Thanks again!

If anyone is interested in the internal workings of a DMF...

[ytv]YnaXB8q3uzQ[/ytv]