S3 Clutch , GIAC Hammer

Whiteatom

Reaction score
I have a 2008 S3 which is just under 1 year old. It has covered 7k miles , 5 of which GIAC Hammer map in use.
The last few times I have been out in the car I am sometimes getting clutch slippage, usually in 3rd or 4th gear at around 3k rpm.

Should I inform dealer now or when it gets worse ? (I suspect if turn back to standard it would not do it !)

I have read that the clutch was updated to Sachs item but does anyone know when this came into affect ?

I am sure this should be covered under warranty, I am dissappointed that is has started to fail so soon as do not do traffic light starts and car lives in heated garage.

Any input would be greatful

Thanks

Whats that about the clutch has been upgraded. By audi?

Are you saying that facelift audis ave better clutches and can take remaps better?

David

No I have pre face lift ie small wing mirrors, I have read that on a few 2007 cars the clutchs have been replaced under warranty, the old ones where Lucas, the new are Sachs

Are right I never knew that I thought they were audi clutches. So when JohnnyC and others upgraded there clutch to a sachs clutch, I take it I have the same or one good enough to handle power more?

Never knew that audi used sachs clutch.
Any more info on this.

I don't know what audi use on the s3 in terms of brands / parts. Good to know

David

Clutch went on mine at 10k.

First dealer didn't believe me. Wanted me to change all 4 tyres before they would accept that it was the clutch as they said if the tyres were worn the Quattro (Haldex system) would play up :lmfao:

Second dealer could accept that there was a problem as it was difficult to replicate so said for me to, and I quote 'Wait until it failed and then they could replace it' (cheers Audi, top skills)

Third dealer accepted there was a problem and fixed it. They then found out rear differential was also leaking so that had to come off and be replaced too.

New clutch is heavier in feel than the old one, but at 22k we're still going strong.

Hardest part will be getting someone to believe you it is a failing clutch.

Wow you wore the clutch out quick, hard shifts etc?

Is the sachs clutch a good clutch, do the 2009 s3's have these?

David

Wow you wore the clutch out quick, hard shifts etc?

Is the sachs clutch a good clutch, do the 2009 s3's have these?

David

Feels much more direct than the last, and only really noticed a difference as it seemed more difficult to make silky smooth gear changes. Not missed a beat though so I can't moan.

To be honest other than a 'gentle' 6 laps at Audi Driver in 2007, it has been cosseted like a loved baby so I was very surprised. I never thrash my cars; I'm too old and got too much respect for the car. I was horrified when the clutch went as I have never had a clutch on any car in my whole 15 year driving career (and I've done 60k in a year in some older cars - and 145k without a clutch change).

What are the symptoms ?
My clutch seems to be fine but very occasionally when setting off from standstill I get juddering and a kind of rattling sound, only had this about three times.

Could this be the clutch or the dreaded dual mass flywheel ?

What are the symptoms ?

My symptoms were in 4th / 5th and 6th gear, doing medium revs (3k+). If I progressively floored it (eg. don't just bang your foot to the floor) the revs would rise quite sharply but there would be little pick up from the engine at all. The revs would then falter slightly while the engine caught up and then normal service would be resumed. Quite an unnerving sensation as invariably it would always happen more noticeably when you tried to overtake on a 'B' road which meant I lost confidence on overtakes (with 300bhp+!!!)

The 1st Audi dealer said it would only be the clutch if it happened in 1st and 2nd gears, not the higher gears. I tried to convince him otherwise so had to give up in the end. Initially it was intermittent, but it goes gradually worse, particularly when cold.

My symptoms were in 4th / 5th and 6th gear, doing medium revs (3k+). If I progressively floored it (eg. don't just bang your foot to the floor) the revs would rise quite sharply but there would be little pick up from the engine at all. The revs would then falter slightly while the engine caught up and then normal service would be resumed. Quite an unnerving sensation as invariably it would always happen more noticeably when you tried to overtake on a 'B' road which meant I lost confidence on overtakes (with 300bhp+!!!)

The 1st Audi dealer said it would only be the clutch if it happened in 1st and 2nd gears, not the higher gears. I tried to convince him otherwise so had to give up in the end. Initially it was intermittent, but it goes gradually worse, particularly when cold.

That's exactly what I had after having Revo Stage 2+ and a decat DP fitted.

Dealer replaced the clutch, flywheel and pressure plate (entire kit of parts) and she's perfect now. Stonking is the word that comes to mind.

Actually the flywheel is what gives the game away here under load in the gears you've described. Was also worse when cold.

Got progressively worse over the course of 4 weeks ... then was fixed for good.