Uneven and odd idling.

Eddie

Reaction score
Hi I have a question my car have a very uneven idling and the car makes vibrations on idling, the idling moves from 500-700rpm. I found that this problem was pretty ordinary on audi A3. So I just wonder how I should solve this.

I am buying some new sparking plug and will change the oil. But what more could I do to get rid of the problem. (Change LMM?)

I have a Audi A3 2.0FSI -2004. And when I check whit VAGCOM there is two codes on the engine that worrys me.

2 Faults Found:

16825 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Incorrect Flow
P0441 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

18322 - Pressure Sensor for Brake Boost (G294):Implausible Signal
P1914 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

What could that be? The EVAP most have something to do whit LMM but the pressure sensor for brake boost does that have any thing to do whit my odd idling? Appreciate every help I could get Thx

I to would like to know if there is anything that can solve this problem as i have exactly the same car (2.0 fsi on a 04 plate) but i do not have vag com so do not know if the occurring faults are the same. was considering changing coilpacks as well as spark plugs as i know these can sometimes cause problems.

I too have this Problem my dad said it could be the spark plugs misfiring...and that I need to change them....

Yes I am sure that the sparking plugs whold make it little better but I dont think thats the major problem, I know that the LMM is a well-known part that often break down in audi. But if any one have experiance of fixing this pls share whit us..

I'm having the same problem, 04 plate 2.0 FSI

Must be a very common fault on these cars for us all to share the same thing!!

Mine also struggles to start if its only been stopped for a short time i.e. filling tank with fuel? anybody else have this problem also?

What about crank shaft sensor does anyone know what function that one has? Someone told me that it could be the crank shaft sensor but I dont even know where that is located in the engine room. :detective2:

L3e123, digzz and Morzy - if anyone of you could do a VAGCOM check on your cars we could exclude one of my fault codes, that should make it easyer to solve the problem..

What about crank shaft sensor does anyone know what function that one has? Someone told me that it could be the crank shaft sensor but I dont even know where that is located in the engine room. :detective2:

L3e123, digzz and Morzy - if anyone of you could do a VAGCOM check on your cars we could exclude one of my fault codes, that should make it easyer to solve the problem..

I had mine hooked up to Audi's Diagnostic machine and the 2 faults that came up were the temp sensor and the crank angle sensor.

I swapped the temp sensor as the tech thought that becuase the car was turning over and not starting it might have thrown the crank angle sensor out.

When the temp sensor was changed both faults cleared, but now i'm thinking that i should have changed this at the same time?

N.B the crank angle sensor is located on the front of the block on the left hand side.

I had mine hooked up to Audi's Diagnostic machine and the 2 faults that came up were the temp sensor and the crank angle sensor.

I swapped the temp sensor as the tech thought that becuase the car was turning over and not starting it might have thrown the crank angle sensor out.

When the temp sensor was changed both faults cleared, but now i'm thinking that i should have changed this at the same time?

N.B the crank angle sensor is located on the front of the block on the left hand side.

okej thats nice but did the uneven idling go away? or just the problem you had whit starting the car, let me know if you change the crank angle sensor (is that the same as crank shaft sensor?)

Air leaks - look for split pipes/holes/perished seals...

I second this - had a slight inconsistency in my idle, and found that the dealer had undone the bolts on my aftermarket DV and not tightened them properly after it went in for its 20k service (and worse besides).

Once it was re-tightened it was back to normal, but I had a sense there was an air leak as I could hear a high pitched whistle. They can be hard to find, but check all your hoses top and bottom to make sure they have no breaks / cuts. Also check to ensure your airbox is properly closed / screwed back together, 'someone' (!) had not closed mine down properly on one side and had trapped part of the air filter material in the lip edge (so I have effectively now had to perform a 2nd after-service!!!)

PLEASE also note, overtightening jubilee clips can cause the rubber hoses to sever causing air leaks so be very careful how you tighten things.

Did any one else solve this problem? :uhm:

I have the same problem on a 2.0 TDi, Audi are changing the clutch and flywheel under warranty next week, I'll update you later if it makes any difference...

Had the clutch and flywheel changed and so far the issue hasn't recurred...

I had my revs going up and down loss of power etc... It turned out a split air pipe and the breather valve was knackered Audi replace them both its fine now.....

As mentioned above change the breather valve and piping it's a very common fault with all petrol cars ive known them as pcv valves in the past little bit of plastic with a metal ball in it.
Changing the coil pack I would do as a last resort as they are a bit pricy
Check the air box for oil if there is oil pooling get it down the garge and get a pressure test done

Hope that helps

F