About to option/order S3 - a couple of questions please

liam

waiting, waiting, waiting
Reaction score
Website
www.ausmotive.com
I'm about to turn my 2004 MINI Cooper S into an S3 Coupé and I just have a couple of n00b questions on some of the options.

Adaptive headlights
I've had a brief go in an RS4 which had these fitted and on twisty roads they seemed to work quite well. But are they worth the extra money (AU$850) or not really worth the effort? I wouldn't say I do a lot of night driving.

Sunroof
My wife's 3dr Mk5 GTI has a sunroof and there is a bit of a rattle that pops up from time to time. It's nothing too major just yet, but mildly anoying at times. Are there any similar issues with the A3/S3? Also, are there any wind buffeting issues (for example, when our GTI's sunroof is open to the "comfort position" at speeds below about 30mph there is a bit of buffeting from the roof, unless one of the windows are open).

Electric folding mirrors
Parking is not really an issue here, but I kinda like the gadget factor of folding mirrors. The standard mirrors are not heated are they?

Magnetic ride
I've never had a drive in an Audi with this fitted, is it worth the extra cash?

Navigation plus
I will be getting this regardless, but if there's anything pants about it, please let me know before hand, haha.

Pics for clicks...
Audi-S3-08s.jpg

Audi-S3-Sportback-17s.jpg

Plenty more on my motoring site too.
:beerchug:

Cheers
Liam

I do not have any rattles from the sunroof of my S3.

prt57

My sun roof does not rattle but noticed when travelling at motorway speeds with just the rear lifted it creates a hell of a whistle. But I would have one again as it lets loads of light into the car.
The mirrors are heated as standard, cant comment on the adaptive lights.
Nav - do a search on here for rns-e - it has its good points and its bad - bad been expensive (its cheaper in the UK to retrofit it) and it only does 5 digit postcode search - not sure how that would work with you

Richard

Thanks guys.

I'm pretty keen on the sunroof too, for the reasons you mentioned Richard, just have to twist the arm of the Financial Controller.

Haha, that's pretty crazy about retrofitting the nav!

I was able to have a decent test drive of an S3 with a sunroof today and I hate to say it, but compared to our GTI, at least, it is much better. So, I'll be ticking that box for sure.

:thumbsup:

I question the need to electric mirrors unless they fold in a different mannor to the non electrics. (like BMW's that fold up and look silly IMHO)

I find that my mirrors dont really fold in very far, due to there silly health and saftey over sizing....

Yeah, I think that was just a silly thought of mine. Although the anti-dazzle feature would be good. But mostly I wanted to make sure the regular mirrors are heated, which they are.

:thumbsup:

I'm about to turn my 2004 MINI Cooper S into an S3 Coupé and I just have a couple of n00b questions on some of the options.

Adaptive headlights
I've had a brief go in an RS4 which had these fitted and on twisty roads they seemed to work quite well. But are they worth the extra money (AU$850) or not really worth the effort? I wouldn't say I do a lot of night driving.

I have them and am not that impressed. I wouldn't pay for them again

Sunroof
(for example, when our GTI's sunroof is open to the "comfort position" at speeds below about 30mph there is a bit of buffeting from the roof, unless one of the windows are open).

No rattles but this definitely happened

Electric folding mirrors
Parking is not really an issue here, but I kinda like the gadget factor of folding mirrors. The standard mirrors are not heated are they?

My standard mirrors are heated but not sure if it comes with the visibility pack

Magnetic ride

don't know

Navigation plus
I will be getting this regardless, but if there's anything pants about it, please let me know before hand, haha.

Better off not getting it then retrofitting it for less that 1/3 of the price

My favourite options are Bucket seats (had others before and they totally transform the interior)
Bluetooth phone prep - which i use all the time and didn't think i would
Satnav - but only worth it as retrofit - then get the SDS voice control mod
Bose

my thoughts above :)

Australian spec S3s get some of those goodies thrown in anyway. Bluetooth is standard, along with reverse park sensors, auto wipers/headlights and probably a few other bits and pieces.

I kinda like the theory behind the nav retro fit, but by the time I paid for it with our crap Aussie dollar, then paid probably as much again to get the unit shipped here I probably wouldn't be that much better off. But, at AU$5300 it is fking expensive I'll grant you that!

Lucky my dealer is looking after me. :meeting:

I was writing about magnetic ride few times :), after 8120miles I would say it was good choice. For daily use car is a bit softer then standart, but if you want stiffer suspension for more fun just turn on sport mode.

10 usefull posts and then one mindless clever comment.

I suppose we should be happy with a 10:1 ratio. :Flush:

To answer some of your points.

I personally wouldn't go for the adaptive lights or the mag ride - just a personal choice thing I suppose. The cost doesnt outweigh the value IMO.

I specced folding mirrors as our drive has a pnich poiunt at the front of it and therefore the option for to tuck in the ears a little works for me.

If it wasnt for the drive issue though I probably would not have specced them.

I would defo order the buckets though - they maybe expensive but make a significant impact to the look of the car.

Good luck with the ordering and then fear the waiting. It does your head in.

When I ordered mine the salesman took me out in a demonstrator with magnetic ride. Really do not think it warrants the cost for what you gain.

Adaptive headlights again I wouldn't spec them as cost out weighed the gain.

I did go for the buckets as they make the car, although you do loose the the ease of access to the back seats due to the fact they do not move on the runners unless manually. Folding mirrors for me were a must due to the garage being a bit tight. Also I think that although they do not fold very close to the car, anything is better than having them stick out as far as they do.

The sunroof has no rattle and IMO is excellent. Not noticed any serious buffeting either.

I must be the only man on here who thinks the adaptive lights are good!!! Never mind, I'm easily pleased!! We have a lot of twisties round our back roads and I find them to be pretty good.

I'd go for magnetic ride. I don't think the OE spec damper/spring combo is that good, so any level of adjustment would be of benefit. I guess the question is, if you were likely to buy aftermarket kit (Koni / KW / Bilstein etc...) could you get more for your money via this route (+ some decent ARB's).

Nav to me was a pre-requisite until I heard the price. Kept my Navman but as it failed this week I'm now hunting down an RNS-E to retrofit.

Sunroof - I suppose you have better weather than us so its a no brainer. To me its just a reminder that its never often sunny!

Electric folding mirrors have been very useful as my garage is pretty narrow, and during the winter the heated glass has been a saviour. If its not a necessity then put the money towards another accessory, but for me it was a no brainer.

Some helpful comments there guys, thank you.

In regards the the bucket seats, I admit they do look fantastic, but my hips aren't small enough to have them as a daily proposition. I'm not tall by any means and have a 36" waist, so it's not like I'm that big, but they wouldn't work for me I don't think. The test car we drove yesterday had them and for a couple of hours they were great, and they had quite comfortable back support too. But for AU$4500, and with the reduced ease of back seat access, I think I'll leave them off.

Magnetic ride sounds okay, but now that the sunroof is in I think I'll need to leave the MR off. We've got a price in mind we want to try and stick to, and at some point you have to stop ticking options boxes!

We're just waiting for settlement on our investment property to come through at the end of this month and we'll be signing on the dotted line. I went through the whole waiting thing with the MINI and only had a Mk4 GTI to help me bide the time. At least the MINI is still a hoot to drive, so (hopefully) the wait won't be so bad this time around. Predicted delivery should be late June/early July.

Only question left is...

Ibis White or Brilliant Red? :jump:

Only question left is...

Ibis White or Brilliant Red?

A difficult one that for me.

I like them in white - but prefer the red I think, just for the shineyness with the contrasting bling of the mirrors etc.

Oh, one more question. The storage package, is that worth it, or a bit of a con for the money?

I understand it gives you under seat storage, some nets in the front footwell (passenger only), nets/pockets on the back seats and a net of some sort net on the rear parcel shelf?

I saw it on one car and thought it looked a bit of a Halfords cheap bolt on.

I went for the 'overpriced' ski hatch / armrest option as it saves having to always put the rear seats down, and then I can't remember whether the rear cargo net came as standard. Was glad I got the 12V socket in the boot as I use it regularly to charge camera batteries.

In fact, and apologies as its slightly off thread I do find the Audi accessories horribly expensive considering in some cases (sat nav for instance), the VW unit is touch screen / more advanced. The RNS-E A3 unit isn't even MMI and its over £2k. Must be a phenomenal money maker for them as even basics like interior light packs which should in my opinion be standard on a 'premium' (!) car are around £100.

Verdict: Robbers!

In fact, and apologies as its slightly off thread I do find the Audi accessories horribly expensive considering in some cases (sat nav for instance), the VW unit is touch screen / more advanced. The RNS-E A3 unit isn't even MMI and its over £2k. Must be a phenomenal money maker for them as even basics like interior light packs which should in my opinion be standard on a 'premium' (!) car are around £100.

Verdict: Robbers!

I agree. And it is very much on topic. Indeed, if they didn't rob us so blindly we'd all just tick every damn box and get fully loaded cars all the time.

:lmfao:

Adaptive headlights

Well worth it, IMO :cool:

Sunroof
My wife's 3dr Mk5 GTI has a sunroof and there is a bit of a rattle that pops up from time to time. It's nothing too major just yet, but mildly anoying at times. Are there any similar issues with the A3/S3? Also, are there any wind buffeting issues (for example, when our GTI's sunroof is open to the "comfort position" at speeds below about 30mph there is a bit of buffeting from the roof, unless one of the windows are open).

I'm usually indifferent to sunroofs. The Polo had one, and it buffeted quite a bit, but I was pleasantly surprised by the S3 :yes:

Electric folding mirrors

As you say, not an issue here, so why bother? :noway:

Magnetic ride
I don't have it, but I reckon there might be a range of interesting after-market alternatives for the same money....and who wants to buy a car that's fully set-up at the start? :think:

Navigation plus
I don't have it and wouldn't buy it, but that's just me. I have a TomTom for nav, and -- IMO -- the standard head unit and Bose works a treat, especially with iPhone :happy: