Chris NottMonster Motorsport

Thread: Record S3 MPG?

1st Gear

Status

Record S3 MPG?

http://s5.tinypic.com/4onwo.jpg

Can anyone beat this?

It was recorded on a 33 mile journey following my GF's ailing car to the garage at 50-55mpg.

I did see 42.2mpg before driving through town. (not bad considering that it was night time and cold).

Amusingly, the GF's 2.0TD Grand Vitara only recorded 45.2mpg over the same journey!
    Present - 8V S3 3 Door S3 S-Tronic. Estoril Blue, LED Headlights, Super Sports Seats, Technology Pack, Folding & Dimming Mirrors, Interior Light Pack, Bang & Olufsen, Comfort Pack with Cruise Control & Rear Parking Sensors, Reversible Boot Liner, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Non Smoking Pack, Hold Assist

Past "Highlights" - 2008 S3 (8P2), 2004 Alfa 147GTa, 1999 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo LE, 1994 Astra GSi 16v

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    That's very impressive! If you feel its a bit to high try fitting a HPFP and Stage 2+, be confident that it will then never go above 25mpg!
    Who said speed kills!?!?....But dangerous driving on the other hand....
    Ibis White S3 Sportback - ?bhp - ?lb/ft (Being Fixed)
    Mods: LED's Throughout, Milltek TBE, Revo S2+, Forge CAI (Gold), K&W V3's 25mm, H&R ARB's, Powerflex Bushes, Autotech HPFP, Sachs Clutch, Forge DV, Jonny's PCV Mod, Defi Boost Gauge, Pro Alloy Intercooler, 18" OZ Alleggerita's, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, VI Performance Monitor, Road Angel Pro Connected
    Full OEM Springs and Shocks for sale from 2008 S3 CLICK ME

Makinen...ha

Status
    She wasn't towing you was she? lol

Neutral

Status
    down hill the whole way? clutch down?

or massively stripped the car? lol

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Woob View Post
    down hill the whole way? clutch down?

or massively stripped the car? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    She wasn't towing you was she? lol
    lol

Nope, just normal driving in a relatively standard car.

Doesn't putting the clutch down use more fuel anyway? As the engine is at idle (using fuel) rather than 'windmilling' with no fuel supplied.
    Present - 8V S3 3 Door S3 S-Tronic. Estoril Blue, LED Headlights, Super Sports Seats, Technology Pack, Folding & Dimming Mirrors, Interior Light Pack, Bang & Olufsen, Comfort Pack with Cruise Control & Rear Parking Sensors, Reversible Boot Liner, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Non Smoking Pack, Hold Assist

Past "Highlights" - 2008 S3 (8P2), 2004 Alfa 147GTa, 1999 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo LE, 1994 Astra GSi 16v

Neutral

Status
    i think that was for when slowing down. if you coast clutch down it uses a bit more fuel than if you coast clutch up and no power on using engine braking.

i assume as the engien is engaged through the wheels, the momentum of the wheels keeps the engine turning without fuel needed?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Woob View Post
    i think that was for when slowing down. if you coast clutch down it uses a bit more fuel than if you coast clutch up and no power on using engine braking.

i assume as the engien is engaged through the wheels, the momentum of the wheels keeps the engine turning without fuel needed?
    Correct - if the wheels are pushing the engine over idle speed with no throttle the ECU will cut the fuel off entirely.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Splathead View Post
    http://s5.tinypic.com/4onwo.jpg

Can anyone beat this?
    I did see 42.2mpg before driving through town.
    Beat ya . Recorded on an approx 25 mile journey.

RS Focus MP 350
    Porsche 997 Carrera
    S3 Sprint blue
    A3 SLine170TDI

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Beat ya . Recorded on an approx 25 mile journey.

Damn

I can't see the image. What does it show?

1st Gear

Status
    Probably 45 MPG :P
    A3 '04 2.0TDI 140 DSG with lots of goodies but stock

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Splathead View Post
    Damn

I can't see the image. What does it show?
    Piccy back up.
    RS Focus MP 350
    Porsche 997 Carrera
    S3 Sprint blue
    A3 SLine170TDI

Status
    36.6mpg on a 51 mile motorway journey is the best I have ever achieved. Never went over 60mph. It was worse than watching paint dry.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warrencox View Post
    36.6mpg on a 51 mile motorway journey is the best I have ever achieved. Never went over 60mph. It was worse than watching paint dry.
    wooow I did 60 miles last night mostly on an A road doing about 90 all the way and even 120 on private road and still had 48.8 mpg

Go TDi !!!
    A3 '04 2.0TDI 140 DSG with lots of goodies but stock

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by anton2015 View Post
    wooow I did 60 miles last night mostly on an A road doing about 90 all the way and even 120 on private road and still had 48.8 mpg

Go TDi !!!
    If I was to attempt the same I'd be guessing 21-23mpg!!!
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

1st Gear

Status
    As one does, having a good early Sunday morning blast i did an average. I think 17mpg was the highest it got..... Could almost watch the fuel tank needle moving to empty!
    Who said speed kills!?!?....But dangerous driving on the other hand....
    Ibis White S3 Sportback - ?bhp - ?lb/ft (Being Fixed)
    Mods: LED's Throughout, Milltek TBE, Revo S2+, Forge CAI (Gold), K&W V3's 25mm, H&R ARB's, Powerflex Bushes, Autotech HPFP, Sachs Clutch, Forge DV, Jonny's PCV Mod, Defi Boost Gauge, Pro Alloy Intercooler, 18" OZ Alleggerita's, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, VI Performance Monitor, Road Angel Pro Connected
    Full OEM Springs and Shocks for sale from 2008 S3 CLICK ME

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tobycruse View Post
    That's very impressive! If you feel its a bit to high try fitting a HPFP and Stage 2+, be confident that it will then never go above 25mpg!
    I've just pulled myself off the floor having to recover from the crying laughter fit.

Was thinking the same thing and you went and said it ! good on you.

Whip a CAI in, fit the HPFP, get a performance exhaust and visit Revo for Stage 2+, next step is shares in a publicly listed petroleum company.

BP, Royal Dutch Shell, ExxonMobil. Any one of those will do.

My average has been 16.5L/100km (about 16mpg?) for the past 1000km.

Lol. It's that addictive. Time to seek help.

At least I save the planet by not printing on paper much these days.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GConn View Post
    Got the extreme opposite today. I was in heavy traffic for 5 minutes and my average was 24.3 Ltrs/100km (which I think equals to 10-11mpg).... I was just staring for minutes before I could believe that number.
    Yip. Was stuck in gridlock traffic for 30 minutes in neutral/1st gear/neutral about a week ago. Saw round about the same number. Reached for the asthma pump. Barely survived. lol.

5th Gear

Status
    yawnville

I dont see 20mpg
    www.SubZerosystems.co.uk - IT Consultancy

Smoke me a kipper...

Status
    Mine's averaged 28mpg in the 1,500 miles I've driven since taking delivery. Now it's run in and I'm pressing the loud pedal a lot more, that's dropping steadily. It averages around 25mpg on the commute to work, 29mpg on motorways and on longer runs (M ways & A roads) the best I can get is 31mpg. Never seen better than 35mpg ... yet! Worst was 15mpg when I saw off a mates scooby

3-door S3 (8P registered Feb-09) Ibis White: Sat-Nav Plus, BOSE, iPod, Bluetooth, Acoustic Parking System (rear), Light & Rain Sensor Pack, Privacy Glass, Tracker.

3rd Gear

Status
    Best i've seen is 36MPG (car has only done 3K so it may get better).
    I'm going to have to go for a drive with my slippers on to see what I can get..... Sounds like a boring trip

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

1st Gear

Status
    It was almost certainly the most boring journey that I have been on as a driver.