09 White Cluster/DIS fitted to 04 8P

NHN

Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
1st big thanks to Agressor110 over on audiforum.us for some notes & help on things to enable me to complete this mod, few questions I had answered quickly & easy, so many thanks to him, kudos.

Here's some install info & images of my 09 white cluster/dis fitted to my 04 car, think its great, really is so much better:

Ok well 1st thing to note is cars before the 1st facelift 8P pre 11/04 generally had the older fuel pump & also possibly missed some wiring that was added to facelift cars. Please note though my car is 07/04 & had the extra wire so contradicts audi's info in Elsawin of all places, so check for this wire on rear of current cluster 1st before thinking wiring needed, read further down for wiring info. The newer pumps from this date (according to audi's records anyway, check 1st before doing) had an extra wire added for the fuel sender/level to register properly on the clusters. So if you have the older cars then you must add a single wire from the cluster 32pin connector at pin 25 & wire this back to the underneath of the rear seats on a 3dr anyway (maybe same as 5dr, need checking) to the fuel pump & connect to pin 4 on the 5 pin connector. Now you also need to upgrade the pump on pre 11/04 cars (but check cause on my 07/04 car I had the newer wiring but old pump) to support the newer sender/level reading for fuel in the cluster. Once the pump is swapped & the extra wire fitted, then you just need to swap the cluster out & get it coded with all your keys & you're away. Now if its a new cluster or less than 100kmh then audi can set it all correctly for your existing mileage, if its more then you'd have to put up with the used cluster mileage.

Now there are mileage correctors, but I've done some investigations & there are only a few who can currently change the mileage on such a new cluster if its used given the encryption, believe me I have chatted with fair few & also been to a guy whose tried several times even with new firmware & he couldnt change to the correct mileage, but when its more openly able to be done I will change it as per the ecu data.

For 11/04 & onwards cars, subject to checking of course, it should really be just as simple as get the new cluster & take to audi to be swapped coded to the car, cause you should have the new wire already & also the newer pump, again you can check this by looking up the pump part for your vin & also remove the cluster to see if that pin is wired already, simple way to see if the wire on pin 25 is functional, just remove the pin from the 32 connector & reinsert cluster to car & start car & the fuel level shouldnt show, according to my test anyway on newer cluster.

You ideally need to do all the work at the dealers given the pump etc has to ideally be done at same time as the cluster swap, given the fuel levels wont show until new cluster installed if pre 11/04, but what you can do to save on time/money at the dealer is to remove all the trims neccessary for them to do the work, so rear lower bench seat, side trims for extra wire if not doing self, trims around the cluster, remove bolts etc etc, cause mine took 1 hour to complete where as it was initially 2-3 hours, so my bill was £100 to install new pump & cluster because I'd done all this pre-work, saved me £100-£200 which for me is well worth it.

Make sure to take all keys with you to the dealer, along with the full car docs including ID of the registered cars owner as audi are getting **** hot on this kinda thing now, they wont touch until verified whose car is & they have authority to do, so service book, mot, V5, home bill, license, passport etc then they will code for immo & security systems with new cluster.

When removing the cluster & then reconnecting, you will get some warnings showing up, now as long as its the same cluster inserted these warnings will disappear when driving again, so dont worry to much, but worst case scenario is you need to do a few procedures to rectify as per this page:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Audi_A3_(8P)_Steering_Assist

One thing to realise is this, when they add the cluster one thing that was showing were lights up for braking systems, now I knew it was an adaptation issue to tell the car that it had abs, esp etc etc, so I said to steve master tech, just go into this channel & code this option mate (hold the front page, me advising a master tech what to do, feck me, never thought that would happen in million years) so he went in to the adaptations & that channel but couldnt, we put this down to security access, so we went in to that & I said just enter the security code, he said we dont have access to that area, I was like thats impossible, he said no mate cant do.

So what I did, I went home, plugged in VCDS, went into 17, security access to which vcds prompted me to enter a certain code that was displayed, entered, went into adaptation channel 37 & set to 11 given mines 2wd where as 4wd is 00 I think, but quick browse in there can advise which is correct for your car, this told car what braking systems etc I had, lights all went out, job done.

Also to get advanced features again in DIS for pdc, lights etc, you may have to adjust the cluster coding in 17 & adaptation channel 82 to a 2 & then in 09 long coding byte 23 tick bit 1 for advanced comfort menus, cause I found mine wernt working when left audi, until after when I got my VCDS logged in & coding fingers into it.

cluster1.JPG

cluster2.JPG

cluster3.JPG

Feel free to ask questions but think covered it all.

Reactions: Trevor Locke
That looks wicked mate, well done, didnt think it was possible

Impressive - I didn't think it was possible so hat off to you!

Sweet. Just goes to show that anything is possible when you try. Looks 150% better. Well done!

That's why you've been quiet! Looks great.
Did you get the needle sweep feature too?

Good work, looks awesome. Is there anything you can't do?! :detective2:

Looks rubbish, think you should get it taken off!!!!. Prefer the red one much more.

Reactions: 20pricey11
That simple? Cos I have a line of dead pixels going across the middle of my DIS and I wanted to change it.

Big job?

Impressive - I didn't think it was possible so hat off to you!

Thanks Jamie, much appreciated, I cant take the credit for the initial idea though, Agressor on audiforum.us has been a great help, very much kudo's to him guys, I will update thread with some info for others to consider to do if want, give me few days as making a push to finish car as 345mm brakes went on yesterday & damn do they stop now, also ARB's to go on hopefully tomorrow, then suspension is done, considering a 80bhp/90nm upgrade by a mate @AMD Surrey, but do I just get the S3 as prefer 4wd, urrrmmmm decisions

That's why you've been quiet! Looks great.
Did you get the needle sweep feature too?

Well ok ye you got me, was main reason, lol, some investigating to do before I did it all, needle sweep feature, remind me as was on a facelift car week ago or so, we did something on the needles

Good work, looks awesome. Is there anything you can't do?! :detective2:

Many things mate, lots of clever people on this & other forums that know more than me for sure, only difference is maybe I dont like to be beaten (technically not sexually, lol) I have the thought of anythings possible if you make the effort

Looks rubbish, think you should get it taken off!!!!. Prefer the red one much more.

So does that mean you want my old red cluster for your new facelift S3 :nyah:

Can you source clusters??

Nah mate I just hunted about on the bay

That simple? Cos I have a line of dead pixels going across the middle of my DIS and I wanted to change it.

Big job?

There are people who can fix the pixel issues, saw few on the bay tbh mate, have a search online, cheaper than the job I did, I did this mainly to get more features

Wow mate - that looks stunning!!

Looking forward to write up and maight give it a shot if its not to expensive!

But looks spot on mate :D

he laughed when hey said it couldn't be done, he smiled and said he knew but when he tried the thing that couldn't be done he err, found he could do it :applaus:

looks great

whats next on the list? R8 engine as for some reason you seem to have the ability to fit the impossible to your car!

Coffee maker given mrs is italian & you know how much they drink, lol

Ok guys updated info in post no.1 with install notes & info to help anyone considering.

so as this is possible, does it mean that it is possible to retro fit dis into a car that has no dis?

or is that a whole differant can of worms?

Yeah I have read few people have added DIS to there car tbh mate, need to trawl through elsawin & compare car with & without as there are probably certain wires needed, but nothings impossible & I've definite heard of this being done, just cant recall where, might also require updating of the main onboard in 09.

How different is the millage on your car to milage on the clocks?

sounds a bit complicated for me.

Tbh, dis is one thing i really do wish i had on my car....

until now, i was told it was impossible..
Yeah I have read few people have added DIS to there car tbh mate, need to trawl through elsawin & compare car with & without as there are probably certain wires needed, but nothings impossible & I've definite heard of this being done, just cant recall where, might also require updating of the main onboard in 09.

How different is the millage on your car to milage on the clocks?

3-4k, I want it correct because I will sell the car at some point even in the next few months.

Hmmm yeah going to have to be right isn't it if you want a decent sale!

Reactions: sherry477
well the cars actual is 55-56k now & new dis is 52kish so not far out, I beleive in being honest even if it costs me £150 to be correct, I for one dont need the hassle & its illegal, hate buying a car & find issues later, so why do it to others.

Here we go, start of the friday night beer boys, lol

lmao, no really, would never have noticed mate, lol

****** thing is I'm of the bottle at moment so not fun at all, miss my beer, lol, but need to drop some kilo's now so have no choice, biking over weekend ***

Is there still a line if missing pixels (which is actually a gap) close to the top of the display?

Are there any differences between this and the old DIS from the colour, also what's this needle sweep function?

After your researching the 'available tools' - do you think I'll manage the mileage easier on my swap from my 56 plate no DIS to the 2007 DIS cluster I got cheap.

Plugged it in for a quick test and it showed me miles to empty etc and as predicted messed up the steering / ABS for when I plugged the old cluster back in...

I suppose my question is - is it the newness of your cluster that makes the mileage tricky?

As ever, Cheers

****** hell questions questions, only been of the site for 12 hours, lol

Those cheeky bottles of Stella on your passenger seat by chance? :moa:

Wifebeater huh, cant stand the ****.

Is there still a line if missing pixels (which is actually a gap) close to the top of the display?

Good question, let me check......................from what I can see its a full lcd with no breaks at all, update if notice any difference

Are there any differences between this and the old DIS from the colour, also what's this needle sweep function?

Well tbh, cars with red DIS from 06/07 have some of the functionality of this new DIS, like advanced comfort menus for PDC, Lights, but it does seem to add more features to older cars, mine was 04 & I had no extra menus until I did this which actually was the whole point of the mod for me, the white colour was the bonus part.

After your researching the 'available tools' - do you think I'll manage the mileage easier on my swap from my 56 plate no DIS to the 2007 DIS cluster I got cheap.

Plugged it in for a quick test and it showed me miles to empty etc and as predicted messed up the steering / ABS for when I plugged the old cluster back in...

I suppose my question is - is it the newness of your cluster that makes the mileage tricky?

As ever, Cheers

Well the 07 clusters I believe can be done already mate according to various sources, you need to check yourself of course with mileage correctors, but they say upto 07 I think.

Yes its the encryption used in the new white DIS that makes it limited for the number of correctors available to change, they're a few that can but sending to glasgow for me was a risk, but me old mate Mr K (kudos) is possibly gonna assist with this issue as he is near there, but £150 urrm is it worth it for 3-4k of miles less, knowing me yeah cause it doesnt match the ecu data.

is that blue LED lights on an A3/S3 cluster? That would look nice on my Akoya A3 LOL

Got a mate whose looking into swapping leds so I hazard a guess he'll be offering this service soon, Mr Don.

[ytv]9vrYcRNxdtc[/ytv]

Didnt know I could do this John matey, is it an adaptation or coding option, learn something new everyday, its a gimmick though huh, but hey puts smile on yer face & for me probably laugh my **** of as I do when I see headlight washers work, hey its the small things.

Still loving this mod Nige

Thankyou young man, now go get on with that detail lazy ****, lol

looks great i want it doin on mine ... ive got an 06 is it a straight swap for 06s dis nigel....