A few questions!

Silky-S3

Is loving his new 8V S3!
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m absolutely loving my new 3.2 S-Line DSG and gave it a good wash, finished it with a few coats of Collinite, and got my new private plate transferred to it this weekend, it is looking gorgeous!

My RNS-E is the in the post (thanks to a member on here!), so will be fitting that this weekend, and on my desk I’ve got some new S3 aluminium pedals and a new roof internal light, with the map lights and ambient lighting ready to go on!

Reason I’m posting is I’ve got a few questions I hope you can help me with:

When I unlock the car and open the driver’s door, I get a buzzing noise for a few seconds that sounds like a pump priming? It is quite loud and only happens when I haven’t been in the car for a while (i.e. over a few hours). Is this normal? Maybe something to do with the DSG?

On my DIS, in the top section where you get the yellow low fuel icon etc below that there is a black line that separates the top section from the other one (as well as a red line), it almost looks like a line of dead pixels but I think it’s too thick for that. Is this normal? Is it just where the DIS splits into the two colour one, as the rest is all red?

How the heck do you check the clock from 24 hour to 12 hour? I’ve read the manual loads of times, and can get to the screen on the rev counter where it’s asking to change between 12/24h but can’t seem to get it change to 12h? What button do I need to press?

I’ve noticed sometimes my climate control seems to emit quiet (fairly soft sounding) clicks (especially after just turning the car on or adjusting the settings) is this normal? Is it just the flaps/vents moving?

Since it’s an S-line it has 18” wheels, what is the standard tyre size/profile for these? Do people change them to slightly wider ones for extra grip? I’m looking to get some Goodyear asymmetrics, are these any good with the Quattro system?

And the last one! Do the aluminium S3 vents fit the standard A3 vents? I think they will go well with the new pedals? Any one got any pictures of them fitted or the part number of them?

Sorry for all the questions guys!

Thanks very much for your help

Matt :kissmyrings:

When I unlock the car and open the driver’s door, I get a buzzing noise for a few seconds that sounds like a pump priming? It is quite loud and only happens when I haven’t been in the car for a while (i.e. over a few hours). Is this normal? Maybe something to do with the DSG?
Sounds like the fuel pump, but I don't have a 3.2 and can't say I've noticed it on mine.

On my DIS, in the top section where you get the yellow low fuel icon etc below that there is a black line that separates the top section from the other one (as well as a red line), it almost looks like a line of dead pixels but I think it’s too thick for that. Is this normal? Is it just where the DIS splits into the two colour one, as the rest is all red?
The black line is normal, don't worry.

How the heck do you check the clock from 24 hour to 12 hour? I’ve read the manual loads of times, and can get to the screen on the rev counter where it’s asking to change between 12/24h but can’t seem to get it change to 12h? What button do I need to press?
Press the button on the bottom of the righthand stalk to page through the DIS screens, you'll find one called settings or something, here you can change the computer displays and clock settings as well as check time to next service. Use the two buttons on the end of the stalk to move through each page.

I’ve noticed sometimes my climate control seems to emit quiet (fairly soft sounding) clicks (especially after just turning the car on or adjusting the settings) is this normal? Is it just the flaps/vents moving?
Yes, quite normal.

Since it’s an S-line it has 18” wheels, what is the standard tyre size/profile for these? Do people change them to slightly wider ones for extra grip? I’m looking to get some Goodyear asymmetrics, are these any good with the Quattro system?
225/40/18s are standard. I wouldn't change them for wider ones as you'll actually increase the rolling radius of the wheel. I run the asyms and they are a very good tyre. Just been fitted so can't tell you how long they last.

And the last one! Do the aluminium S3 vents fit the standard A3 vents? I think they will go well with the new pedals? Any one got any pictures of them fitted or the part number of them?
Yes they do, bit steep from a dealer, IIRC they are £40 each! I'll see if I can fish out a part number for you.

Will I be busy coding for you soon??

Mine make the same buzzing noise, I am led to believe it is the fuel pump so nothing to worry about. I also run Good Year Asymms and they are excellent,very sure footed, had the fronts on for 7k and they are only half worn, backs only been on for 2k.

Mark

According to this thread

Ventilation nozzle with chrome ring
  • 8P0 820,901 C 5PR >> fresh-air inlets and control >> 70,99€

Typo John

224/45 18s are standard. I wouldn't change them for wider ones as you'll actually increase the rolling radius of the wheel. I run the asyms and they are a very good tyre. Just been fitted so can't tell you how long they last.

225/40/18 lol

Thanks very much guys. Very helpful! That puts my mind to rest about the buzzing and DIS. I’ll keep the tyres standard (though I don’t understand how going wider increases the rolling radius?).

My old car (Fiat Stilo) had a dribble wipe on the front wipers a few seconds after using the washers, my A3 does not seem to do this!? Anyway of turning it on? Also, it’s the same when I put the car in reverse, the rear wiper done not come on. Surely these are standard features?

JohnS3 – thanks very much for getting that part number, though I’m not sure I’ll be ordering any at that price! Maybe some will come up on eBay cheaper? Regarding the coding, I may well be in touch soon as my RNS-E is on its way, but it is also coming with a VagCom cable free of charge so hopefully I might be able to code it all up. If not I’ll be on to you and buying you a few beers!

Thanks
Matt

The 225/40/18 tyre size breaks down like this-

225 is the tread width
40 is the height height of the sidewall expressed as a percentage of the tread width
18 size of the hole for the wheel

Have a look here for more info

Audi ditched the "tear drop" wipe in favour of a slower downward sweep on the last stroke of the wipers. You can enable the teardrop wipe on the rear wiper and also intermittent wipe when selecting reverse.

Free vagcom cable? must be a cheap one from ebay. If you run into problems give me a shout.