A3 1.6 or 2.0

nossmayo

Reaction score
Hi, just a quick question. Im looking at possibly buying an A3 in the very near future. Ive been looking at a few 1.6 FSI Sport (petrol) models for ~£10.5k. Would it be worth me considering a 2 litre A3 (which there is one fairly local but for ~£12k, is this a much improved engine over the 1.6? My annual mileage is ~10K and my journey to work each day is only a mile or so each way.

Any help on the above or any other buying advice would be appreciated.
Matt.

I dont think either engines are great tbh (only from what I have herd).
A better option is the 2.0tdi for performance.

But out of the two I would go for the 2.0

Hi

1.6 are not that bad. Actually trying to get my old 1.6 a3 back off my mum since i had to sell my newer car. I would get 500miles out of a full take. For £10.5k on a 1.6 must be nice s-line? I've seen a black 1.6 s-line up for sale. If the car looks nice etc i'd go for it. My first audi was a 1'6 a3.
Im not really a fan of the 2.0 tdi but i would pick it over a 1.6 fsi. Due to the engine power. With the 2.0tdi i'd only own one if it had under 40,000 miles because thats just me lol and im weird! 2.0tdi good cars and im not a huge fan of them.
Take a couple of test drives and you be able to tell with car be right for you. Both wont cost that much to run and insurance wont be that bad.

Hope that helps

Ashley

Thanks for the reply. So you would recommended looking at the diesels even though my daily commute and overall annual mileage is relatively low?
EDIT: That was in response to APL. Thanks for your input as well Ashley. Im not really after a diesal to be honest. Maybe a 2.0 petrol IS the way forward?

When I had my 2.0tdi A3, I borrowed a colleague's 1.6Fsi Golf to go to Manchester.
Same 4 blokes+luggage that I had in the 2.0tdi umpteen times.
It was a ****** struggle, I tell you.
So much more hard work, keeping revs up and changing gears.
Plus we had to stop to refuel, when the 2.0tdi would do it on a tank no problem at all.

Thanks for the reply. So you would recommended looking at the diesels even though my daily commute and overall annual mileage is relatively low?

A diesel would be ridiculous for doing 1 mile journeys in. It would never get warm so economy would be poor and you wouldn't be doing the engine any favours. Also a petrol wouldn't get warm so you wouldn't be able to use the performance of a larger engine so may as well stick to a small petrol with lower running costs.

Or walk?

It is the same probs for a diesel or a petrol if you are only doing 1 mile really.

But for the best all rounder i would say the 2.0tdi

A diesel would be ridiculous for doing 1 mile journeys in. It would never get warm so economy would be poor and you wouldn't be doing the engine any favours. Also a petrol wouldn't get warm so you wouldn't be able to use the performance of a larger engine so may as well stick to a small petrol with lower running costs.

Well yes this was my original thinking. I just wondered if the benefits between a 1.6 and 2.0 were huge enough to contemplate paying a bit extra for.

If works not that far and you want to drive might aswell get a 2.0 petrol. Any in mind? fsi or tfsi? As you said your not really fussed on 2.0 tdi. So go for a petrol. If it was a 1.6 to a 2.0tdi and work not far i'd just go for the 1.6 i never really seemed to think it struggles with a full car or any thing.

Ashley

A 1 mile commute, and you drive?
Blimey.
Walk or get a segway, surely.

I'd walk! or go on a pushbike, or the bus...and get a car with a stinking great engine for when you fancy a blast. Seriously though, driving the car 1 mile and then turning it off again does it no favours, especially a modern one

I'm thinking of a Segway for my 3.5 mile commute.
Will be bike lanes all the way home soon.
Can take me upwards of 30 minutes in the car, on and off the clutch all the time.
Just stupid.:tocktock:
Not worth taking the motorbike either, as it isn't enough to warrant the time taken to put the gear on etc.
You can stick a pushbike, I hate pushbikes.
Sod walking too, so a Segway seems the perfect answer.
Of course, it helps that I'm looking for an excuse to buy one, after hiring one in Prague and finding out they are incredible fun.
:o.k:

i had an 07 a3 1.6 and when cold it was pretty punchy but awefull for takin over and speed full stop i had tranny vans trying to take me at lights lol and because it only had 5 geers at was screaming its **** of above 70 75 and leathered fuel really bad avoid at all cost untill audi add another gear and throw a turbo on there ****** awefull serious......

A mile to work ???

TBH, I'd get a 1.6 but then on the strectch of long roads when you do want a bit of power, id suggest a 2.0T.

You can probs get one for around £12k at a decent spec. The 1.6 Arent too bad but lack power imo. A friend has a 1.6 and its ok but if i had one, id be craving for a 2.0tdi or 2.0t.

Diesel will give crap mileage on them kind of journeys and petrol cars tend to warm up quicker compared to diesels but not sur ethey wuld warm up at all on a mile journey - this isnt too good for the engine either...

Maybe taking a long way to work of around 3-5miles at the minimum may help. Best as Ashley said, test drive them! My aunt has a TT and then only drives a mile to work and back! It down to what you really want the car for.

Commuter to work with little fun - 1.6
commuter with a bit more fun and guts - 2.0
Commuter with a lot of fun of weekends and the odd motorway blast with not so bad economy on a long trip - 2.0T !

i had an 07 a3 1.6 and when cold it was pretty punchy but awefull for takin over and speed full stop i had tranny vans trying to take me at lights lol and because it only had 5 geers at was screaming its **** of above 70 75 and leathered fuel really bad avoid at all cost untill audi add another gear and throw a turbo on there ****** awefull serious......

....admit it, you think i should walk! :laugh:

[FONT=&quot]

Walk or get a segway, surely.

I'd walk!

EDIT: Thanks for your thoughts Kaz. To be honest I would say I fall into this category.

[/FONT]Commuter to work with little fun - 1.6
[FONT=&quot]
Im not after anything super quick
[/FONT], just a reliable car to get from a to b. I fancied a Golf initially, but thought the Audi looked a bit more sophisticated.

Ive got a 2.0 fsi and its fine for my needs. Have had it up to 45mpg once though general driving can get between 35 to 40. Its does have a bit of pick up, fine for my needs. I would say that the car is too heavy for a 1.6, as Bowfer says, you'd be up & down the gears keeping it in the power bracket & using more fuel.

TBH, I'd be walking if its 1 mile!

im being sooooo serious ive had one i had it for a year you will be very dissapointed with a 1.6 but its up to you ive now got a 2tfsi which is a dream compared to a 1.6 there so poor ive bin in other 1.6 that would wipe the floor with an a3 1.6 a3s are to heavy to have that engine then they throw a crap gearbox in where you cant go over 80 or you watch the petrol pin going down b4 your eyes im telling you very good advise do not get one id rather a 1.4 turbo even ....just get a 2tfsi or 140 or 170 diesel or you will be bored out your skull and br gutted that you bought a 1.6

....admit it, you think i should walk! :laugh:

EDIT: Thanks for your thoughts Kaz. To be honest I would say I fall into this category.

Commuter to work with little fun - 1.6

Im not after anything super quick
, just a reliable car to get from a to b. I fancied a Golf initially, but thought the Audi looked a bit more sophisticated.