What Happens Once You Run Out Diesel...

emzino

Reaction score
I do apologise for creating another thread when it is closely linked to my previous one but I think it's only right since it's more than just a quick fillup with the petrol can.

I remember watching Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson driving an A6 (?) 3.0 V6 TDI (i believe) from London to Glasgow and back on 1 full tank.

** correct me if i'm wrong on the above info. **

Anyway, on his trip back he stated how with a Diesel, you can't simple top it backup once it's gone completely empty.
You have to blead the system in order to get it backup and running...

Now anyone have any idea what he meant & how you actually do it? What happens if it really does happen, who do you call & what do you do?

found this on wiki on how to bleed

"Depends on the type of diesel engine. New common rail engines do not need bled as a rule because the low pressure pump in tank bleeds it for you. It is not a good idea to mess around with these engines as the fuel pressure is so high it could seriously hurt or kill you(do not release injector pipes!!!). Conventional diesel engines are different, there is sometimes a primer/lift pump on or around the fuel filter, even earlier engines had lift pump on block that could be toggled to prime fuel up. Rotary fuel injection pumps have a lift pump fitted in them so they self bleed but its still necessary to crack open the injector pipes to bleed air to the injectors. Unable to give specific directions as i dont know what engine you have but i hope this helps.

if you need to bleed diesel fuel system u need to first find where air got in then you can crach a fuel line enuff to allow fuel to leak out when engine is turning over once engine fires tighten fuel line again the rest of air will burn or escape by itself"

I've had to bleed diesel engines a few times.

Basically you crack off the nuts at all the injectors, turn the engine over until fuel flows out freely then tighten them up again and then engine will start.

Modern diesels have self bleeding systems so this isn't necessary.