37 MPG

martyboy

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
had my a3 2 weeks now and filled up for the first time yesterday. returned home and worked out my MPG, and was quite dissappointed to see that it worked out about 37 MPG! didnt think this was very good for a diesel, that i havent really been driving that hard, any opinions or ideas as to what to expect, maybe share what your MPG's are guys, would appreciate it!
cheers

That does sound a bit low mate.

i usually get around 47 mpg when driving sensibly, 43 when not:whistle2:

Not sure what to suggest about the low figure??

According to the DIS i get about 55MPG on average so yours does seem a little low!!! You not got DIS? Maybe worth a Vagcom check, also check cars emmisions to see if they are high can indicate excessive fuel burn.

Depends on your driving style. I used to get 35mpg average out of my A4 with same engine. Because the car doesn't have a lot of power I found I had to drive it fairly hard to make any progress.

thanx for the input guys,
i drove it fairly normal, just so i could see what the economy was going to be, a benchmark if you like!
dont know if its relevant, as this is my first turbo diesel, but i only feel power between 2-3000 revs, then it goes flat!
im in central scotland, does anyone know of anywhere or anyone with a vag-com who would be willing to help?

one other thing, can anyone point me or show me a pic of where the 'MAF' is, read somewhere else it might be this causing loss of power, and to try unplugging it and see how it goes!!!

I have a sportback same engine and get around 35-41 depending on how I drive... which is usually in the 36-37 range :)

Wow some low MPG figures there, the DIS shows 54 for me since i've owned the vehicle on the brim to brim method its more like 51 but thats still some way more than your getting.

I have noticed a 2-4 mpg increase on the same trips since being chiped, mainly because you dont have to work it as hard

checked the DIS and it is reading 48MPG, but i did the calculations yesterday after filling up, and the figures dont lie, 37MPG! :think:

Jan 05' vintage... And, no I think the mpg is a bit low imo, but I drive quite fast in defence of the numbers.

checked the DIS and it is reading 48MPG, but i did the calculations yesterday after filling up, and the figures dont lie, 37MPG! :think:

What sort of driving do you do?

My drive to work each day is 12 miles of start / stop and country lanes. Not great for economy.

If you sit at a steady speed for ages then you can get silly economy out of a diesel, but if you're having to use the throttle a fair bit, then 37 doesn't seem all that low from a TDI 140 imho.

i would say half was in and around city centre but the other half was motorway, in 6th gear and ive not ragged it, as i was kind of looking to see what i could get out of it for the first couple of re-fuels before i started driving it hard! disconnected the 'MAF' today, drove like a piece of sh*t with no power, so i doubt this has any bearing on anything!

Mines motorway and not worked out what i get yet but if i drive normally and as my mileage is 98% motorway, i can see 500 from a tank - had 550 when i filled he up the other day!

When i bought my car, the mpg was a bit lower (48 according to DIS) but i put redex through her, had her fully serviced with all filters and fluid changed, some v power though her, cleaned out the egr, intake manifold flap, manifold and mpg went up (Around 53 accoriding to DIS )and the car felt better overall! Also, decent tyre pressures help! Since the remap, DIS says 55mpg. This is on my commute to uni frm Liv to Manc down the M62!

The MAF, Temp sender and a few other sensors can relate to bad fuel consumption too...

When was the car last serviced? Whats the age and mileage? And what bhp is it and is it a quattro?

Mines motorway and not worked out what i get yet but if i drive normally and as my mileage is 98% motorway, i can see 500 from a tank - had 550 when i filled he up the other day!

When i bought my car, the mpg was a bit lower (48 according to DIS) but i put redex through her, had her fully serviced with all filters and fluid changed, some v power though her, cleaned out the egr, intake manifold flap, manifold and mpg went up (Around 53 accoriding to DIS )and the car felt better overall! Also, decent tyre pressures help! Since the remap, DIS says 55mpg. This is on my commute to uni frm Liv to Manc down the M62!

The MAF, Temp sender and a few other sensors can relate to bad fuel consumption too...

When was the car last serviced? Whats the age and mileage? And what bhp is it and is it a quattro?

the car was serviced just over a month ago, it is a 2005 with 93k on the clock. one other thing, dont know how relevant this is, but i have been driving witht the DIS showing miles remaining, and only clicked onto MPG after filling up to see what it read and it said 48MPG while standind still. now when i took it for a spin last, i left the DIS on MPG, and it was jumping all over the place, 200 to 25 to ---.-- constantly through out the journey!!!
i doubt this is normal, therefore any one have any ideas whats wrong and do you think i need to befriend someone north of the border with
VAG-COM?

oops!!! its 140bhp!

I was getting low 40's from my 140, and I thought that was bad enough.
At 37mpg, it's debatable as to why you're bothering with the diesel.
A 2.0T petrol could probably get close to that and you'd have 60bhp more to play with!

FWIW, I'm getting over 40mpg from my 200bhp/305lbft BMW diesel.
One trip, Aberdeen to Brighton, it did 586 miles to 60 litres.
Which works out at 44mpg, at an average satnav calculated speed of 78mph.
Not bad at all.

If it's from a dealer, report the problem and get them to give it a comprehensive check.
Point out to them that your calculated figures fall some way short of Audi's projected figures.
That, in itself, is enough to suggest a problem and would, I would think, be able to form the basis of legal action (if it came to that).
I'm pretty sure the dealer has to be given a chance to rectify a problem before you reject a car.

This does raise an interesting question though.
At what point does a variation from the published figures become a problem?:ermm:

the car was serviced just over a month ago, it is a 2005 with 93k on the clock. one other thing, dont know how relevant this is, but i have been driving witht the DIS showing miles remaining, and only clicked onto MPG after filling up to see what it read and it said 48MPG while standind still. now when i took it for a spin last, i left the DIS on MPG, and it was jumping all over the place, 200 to 25 to ---.-- constantly through out the journey!!!
i doubt this is normal, therefore any one have any ideas whats wrong and do you think i need to befriend someone north of the border with
VAG-COM?

Sounds like you were looking at instataneous MPG instead of average MPG.

im not any good at stuff like that!!! the garage was just a small second hand car garage, not an audi dealership. im sure they would just hunt me, and i would accept it!!! :bye:

I wonder if the manual mentions it?
It certainly does with oil consumption, with Audi considering something stupid like 800 miles per litre as 'within tolerances'.
Everyone knows that would be ridiculous oil consumption, but Audi have their all-important 'out'.

I bet it does.
I bet it says something like "Fuel consumption may vary, depending on driving conditions"

Again, that'll be their 'out' for printing one thing and the car doing another.

Not in any was shape or form saying you can't drive but have you looked at how you approach junctions and hold-ups changing gear as they use no fuel whatsoever when deccelerating in gear (only 2.0 not 1.9tdi)

When accelerating are you using too much revs and not just using the torque?

There are so many factors involved but I know when I concentrate I get at least 6-10 more indicated MPG and the fuel needle position certainly backs it up. I usually fill up every time I get down to three quarters down so I only do the brim to brim method very rarely.

When accelerating are you using too much revs and not just using the torque?

I was redlining mine in every gear, wanting it to die.
I still got a damned sight more mpg than he is.
37mpg is poor even if you thrash it like a Chipperfield chimp.

thanx for the input guys,
i drove it fairly normal, just so i could see what the economy was going to be, a benchmark if you like!
dont know if its relevant, as this is my first turbo diesel, but i only feel power between 2-3000 revs, then it goes flat!
im in central scotland, does anyone know of anywhere or anyone with a vag-com who would be willing to help?

one other thing, can anyone point me or show me a pic of where the 'MAF' is, read somewhere else it might be this causing loss of power, and to try unplugging it and see how it goes!!!

2-3krpm is fine for hard accelerating but when cruising you should be keeping it at around 2krpm for good economy. You should also be feeling the torque below 2krpm, if you're not then that does suggest a problem.

2-3krpm is fine for hard accelerating but when cruising you should be keeping it at around 2krpm for good economy. You should also be feeling the torque below 2krpm, if you're not then that does suggest a problem.

IIRC, the turbo doesn't even come in until 1800rpm.
Too close to 2000rpm to suggest driving around those revs, unless you enjoy zero response.
In fact, I'm not sure my DSG let you drop below 2000rpm.:confused:
It used to change down for you around those revs, IIRC.
From 2000rpm to over 4000rpm though, pretty progessive build up of power.
No sudden drop off until about 4500rpm(ish).
If this particular one is running out of breath at 3000rpm, then there is definitely a problem.

IIRC, the turbo doesn't even come in until 1800rpm.
Too close to 2000rpm to suggest driving around those revs, unless you enjoy zero response.
In fact, I'm not sure my DSG let you drop below 2000rpm.:confused:
It used to change down for you around those revs, IIRC.
From 2000rpm to over 4000rpm though, pretty progessive build up of power.
No sudden drop off until about 4500rpm(ish).
If this particular one is running out of breath at 3000rpm, then there is definitely a problem.

I said 2krpm for good economy which is what the OP said he was trying to achieve. Also as maximum torque is quoted as 236ftlb at 1750rpm there will be plenty of response at those revs. It's a long time since I've driven a standard one as ours is running over 200bhp, however 50+mpg is easily achievable but we typically see high 40's with mixed driving.

Are you on instant MPG rather than average MPG for the journey?

Instant MPG is a crock of *****. Dont see the point in it?

any thoughts on the DIS jumping all over the place when on MPG???

You have it on the wrong one.

There's 3 MPG displays on the DIS.

1) Instant MPG (Which is what you have it on).
2) Total MPG - Shows average mpg since can was built but can be reset.
3) Total MPG per trip - This starts at 0 and builds it. This is what you should read off.

:keule:

DUH!!! so instant MPG is useless then, but approx is ok, yes?

Yes and there are 2 of them. No.1 resets itself between journeys if the ignition is off for a set time (2hrs IIRC). No.2 is user reset by holding down the bottom button on the right stalk whilst that function is selected. I tend to reset this each time I fill up along with the odometer so I can compare how accurate the computer is and if they suddenly drop it's a sign that something is probably wrong. When the IMF was faulty on our A3 we noticed a significant reduction in economy.

well i think i am in your boat her also.

My car is an 05 2.0 tdei 140 sportback, with 78k on the clock

I have no DIS, so i work out between fill up etcs

the last few times i am pretty much getting 140 miles outta £20 diesel.

Works out to around 31mpg. Now that is really ****.

And this was with trying to drive like a nun, and never take the rpm over 2k.

So come on people, ideas?

Intake manifold flap - if it were fualty, f8 fuse would be blwon and emissions light should be on

That didn't happen on ours until it went completely, however before that performance, economy and starting were all effected. I think it depends how it fails. If your car seemed uneffected it was probably fully open when it stuck.

That didn't happen on ours until it went completely, however before that performance, economy and starting were all effected. I think it depends how it fails. If your car seemed uneffected it was probably fully open when it stuck.

It just jammed every now and then but when it jammed, it did jam open! It was the cogs in it that had sheared...

I drove mine for a good few months and all was good - the only bit that bugged me was the emissions light - if that didnt come up, it would have just left it! lol

Lol! I just nipped out to tesco for some Krispy Kreme's and was getting 280mpg for a few secs there :)

Lol! I just nipped out to tesco for some Krispy Kreme's and was getting 280mpg for a few secs there :)

tesco do krispy cremes! woahhh - are they cheaper than krispy creamss donuts as theyre a rip off ??
lol