12.5k budget - what should i get A3 wise....

Duncan

Reaction score
Website
www.skynews.com
have got 12.5k budget, what would people reccomend getting?

im looking at keeping running costs as cheap as possilbe while getting as much performance as possilble - have been running a 2.0 172 clio cup whcih was expensive to insure, tax and mpg was pretty crap - around 26mpg around town - worse if i gave it some!

am looking at 2.0 tdi DSG either 140 or 170, want to try and have some kind of warranty either comprehensive aftermarket or audi warranty.

preferably 40k miles max really but could go a little over!

ideally would like to get an S-line but then am tempted by getting a 170 instead?

i mean performance wise - after bluefining a 140 how would this compare to a standard 170??

any suggestions would be great - any experiences to share about any 2.0 tdi DSG would also be great

have also heard good things about the 1.8t fsi - which is out of my price range but just wondering how good it is?

have done various searches over these topics but just wanted a fresh set of views...

Cheers
Duncan

Hi

With £12.5k you can get a decent car and good deal. As you said running cost cheap as possible probably best would be either a 2.0tdi 140 or 2.0tdi 170. As it will be cheaper tax and insurance.

Pick up a 2006 a3 will stil have audi warrantly depending when it was first registered. And i think most trade places offer warrantly of some kind.
I enjoyed the dsg which was in my car. Some people like it, some people dont. I found it quite fun myself.

Getting a 140 remaped would bring it over 170bhp with certain companys. And probably have the same sort of performance of the 170 if not better.
Never drove a 1.8t fsi so cant really comment on that sorry. Have you decided colour? 3door 5 door? What kinda spec you want the car to have?

Thanks

Ashley

well would like leather interior need to really see a 3door and a 5 door up close, as for color ideally would like it to be black, lava grey or mauriaus blue, dont really want silver but if the right spec came up i wouldnt rule out any color really

i think its got to be the 2.0 tdi really with running costs in mind, also ive heard the performance of the 140 2.0 is pretty good espcially after the remap.

are there any other cars i could get (not in the VAG range) that would have a simlir box to the audi, vw, seat, skoda DSG?

Send you a few links hope that helps. there was a few black lava greys etc in the email. Few guys on here had there 140 remaped so they will be able to tell you about there experience with the remap.

People are going to hate me lol but thought about bmw 1 series 120d m sport? Or :think:

well would like leather interior need to really see a 3door and a 5 door up close, as for color ideally would like it to be black, lava grey or mauriaus blue, dont really want silver but if the right spec came up i wouldnt rule out any color really

i think its got to be the 2.0 tdi really with running costs in mind, also ive heard the performance of the 140 2.0 is pretty good espcially after the remap.

are there any other cars i could get (not in the VAG range) that would have a simlir box to the audi, vw, seat, skoda DSG?

My old 07 A3 2.0TDI (170) with full leather, 6 cd changer, 18" 20-spoke rims, immaculate interior, sold for about £13k.

You'll definitely be able to afford something great!

My old 07 A3 2.0TDI (170) with full leather, 6 cd changer, 18" 20-spoke rims, immaculate interior, sold for about £13k.

You'll definitely be able to afford something great!

damn!!!!

would have snapped that up in a heartbeat!!

to be honest are tricky to find 170's with lowish mileage and with half decent extra's

am going to test drive a 120d m sport - see how i get on with them, not going to totally rule them out but would probably prefer an A3

am considering the mk5 Golf GTI,

worth it?

insurance is a bit more expensive than the A3 2.0 TFSI but i can get one with lower mileage for cheaper..

i thought i would definitley get a diesel but have loved the mk5 GTI, reckon i would really enjoy it

how do these compare?

worth it?

insurance is a bit more expensive than the A3 2.0 TFSI but i can get one with lower mileage for cheaper..

i thought i would definitley get a diesel but have loved the mk5 GTI, reckon i would really enjoy it

how do these compare?

They're holding their value well, but the GTI is a good car - I considered one before getting my A3, but couldn't find a good GTI DSG within budget.

worth it?

how do these compare?

I think you really need to take your time to make a decision as you seem to change your thoughts hourly! - nothing wrong with that but take your time & spend time driving each car. We can offer opinions, but they are only that.

Nothing is a substitute for driving each car for as long as you need to to help make your mind up.

I think you really need to take your time to make a decision as you seem to change your thoughts hourly! - nothing wrong with that but take your time & spend time driving each car. We can offer opinions, but they are only that.

Nothing is a substitute for driving each car for as long as you need to to help make your mind up.

this is very true - unfortunatley this is the next best thing when your 6000 miles away from home.

cant wait to start test driving - going to have them booked the day i fly home, going to be a bit tired - 16 hour flight with stop overs....