2.0tdi cambelt

APL TDi

Reaction score
Hi all

The time to replace my cambelt is fast aproaching.

I allways do my own, and was wondering if anyone has done it themselves?

Mine is a 2004 140 2.0 tdi

Is it a major pain in the ***, or just like any other fwd twin cam job?

How long did it take you if you have done it? And how much did the parts cost?

Cheers

Hi,

I've just done mine, not too bad actually.

I would estimate about 8hrs if you've never done it before, and how much you really want to take off to get to the belt. Mine took a bit longer as I did the flywheel, clutch and turbo at the same time.

They (VW Audi) say that you need to release all of the engine mounts and drive shafts, drop the engine a touch and shove it over to do it. To allow you to fully remove the engine mounting bracket. But I was able to remove and refit the belt without having to fully remove the bracket (I would say it just makes it easier to tension the belt etc).

I got the timing belt kit and water pump from VW (I think I paid about £200). But I'm sure I've seen advertised in a VW dealer £295 for them to change the belt!! And don't forget about the tools required to lock the pulleys etc.

Hope this helps

Andy

Cheers, that does help alot.

If there is ony £100 difference I might as well just get it done at audi.....

Guess I will have to think about this one.

Cheers, that does help alot.

If there is ony £100 difference I might as well just get it done at audi.....

Guess I will have to think about this one.

There wont be many dealers where the difference is £100.

Try calling your local dealer for a quote!

Some say 70k, some say 80k. Mine says 80K, but im gonna do it before then.

i got advised 75k although it stated 80k. i got mine done at audi because apparently its not just the belt that needs changing, the rotars are the things that go first. i wasnt messing bout with that so jus took it to dealer! quite expensive but got myself a nice a4 avant top spec for courtesy car!

Is it definitely at 80k?

I got a letter from Audi today saying they think mine is due to be changed, but I have only just gone over 60k. I guess they think it is a petrol version?

ive done mine at 84k:) nothing happened:) 230 pounds all in:)

To save me checking the service manual, is it 80k miles or 5 years, whichever is the sooner? My Sportback has around 36k on the clock but it turns five years old this October.

Just a quick bump does it need changing every 80K on a 2004 2.0tdi 140?

Mine was changed last changed at 97k I am now on 133k was just wondering when it was due as it is a due a service soon.

Yeah mate every 80k or 5 years, whichever comes first. So you should be ok for a while yet!