How can ESP and Oil temp be related??

Eatmydust

Reaction score
I have posted before with this one but still no luck....

When I get in the car first thing in the morning and drive about 2 miles the ESP warning lamp comes on and then about 10-12 sec later the oil temp gauge just falls to zero. I have also noticed that the main radiator fan then goes to permanently on and it can be heard whizzing away. Once you pull over and turn the ignition off all of these faults are reset….well most of the time!

The car has since been in for its 40K mile service (independent bosch garage) and the VAG Com showed nothing that would be causing this. At first I thought it was battery (as indicated in some threads) as it had run down when the car was in storage last year but again this has not fixed the problem. Thankfully it needed replacing anyway.

I have read many posts which mention lateral and break sensors but as the oil temp gauge seems to be related I am not sure what avenue to go down. These faults have been occurring since about Christmas and any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

EMD

This happens every single morning?
If so, you just have to convince the people of the garage to come to your place BEFORE you start the car. Then he sits in the passenger seat with the laptop connected to the OBD while you drive until al the facts happen so he can see immediately what the OBD says instead of checking for faults later.
(If you have a laptop and the rosstech cable you don't even need the people from the garage...)

My 2 cents...

Cheers for the advice. I have it booked in for a free diagnostic check on Friday so we will see what it throws up. The guys at Bosch have said it could be a faulty temp sensor which may explain why it falls to zero and then the radiator fans come on? Anyway fingers crossed it will give me clue. By the way the local Audi dealer wanted £105 just to stick a VAG Com on it before doing any work!

In my old age I keep referring to this as oil temp...it is in fact coolant temp:keule:. If anyone has got any ideas please keep them coming.

Cheers

In your first post the Bosch guys said they found no faults. Now your taking it back for them to check again?
Look in the vagcom section I"m sure there will be a member near you with vagcom who will do you a scan for some beer tokens!