German Plates

Ash B

Reaction score
As the title says, just wondering where i can get some? Any one know any good sites or any thing? Thnik they look quite good.
Thanks

Ashley

I think he knows the guy, so he let him have them cheaper due to the crunching of credits.

I'll try and find out if he can get anymore done cheaper.

Thanks for that mate will check it out.:thumbsup:

http://www.theplateman.com

My mate was able to get a set for £15 delivered which seems pretty decent.

Nice one for the sites pete will check them out aswell:thumbsup:
Ashley

Dubmeister were always the place to go. http://www.dubmeister.co.uk but due to a change in legislation they now only offer legal pressed plates.

http://www.platemyride.com is a German company offering German style show plates.

From what I can see, they use the German font, so no. If you want legal pressed plates, Dubmeister still offer these.

Fair enough

Think ill order some german ones and some legal ones as well

Put the German ones on, if i get pulled, just say i forgot to take them off after a show or something and put the legal ones which ill keep in the boot back on :)

Simple

I got some French ones just to be different!

I

IMG%5D

German plates are so 2006! and the police are fully aware of their illegalitys (I had a £40 fine to prove it) So i chose French because I like the smaller less obvious font they use. I was going to get some red/white Belgian ones but thought that was pushing it! :arco:My Wifes got some german ones on here Arosa but they have a GB badge!

And I've got loads of different ones in my shed!

Fair enough

Put the German ones on, if i get pulled, just say i forgot to take them off after a show or something and put the legal ones which ill keep in the boot back on :)

Simple

If anyone supplies 'illegal' plates they are now breaking the law and may well be subject to a £5000 fine.

This is a note from a DVLA document:

"While it is already an offence across the UK for motorists to display non-compliant number plates on their vehicles, as of 1st November 2008 it will become an offence to supply number plates that do not comply with the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001.

Some number plate suppliers already advise their customers that non-compliant number plates cannot be used on the road and are for display purposes only, however, it will now be an offence to supply non-compliant number plates irrespective of any advice given".

As mentioned above that german style pressed plates are illegal .. just wondering can i use bike style font for a car number plate ???

As mentioned above that german style pressed plates are illegal .. just wondering can i use bike style font for a car number plate ???

The short answer is No. The size of the lettering required by law on a number plate for a car is different to that required for a motorbike. Again anyone suppling a motorbike number plate made up with a number registered to a car would be breaking the law and subject to a heavy fine.

The only option other that a normal number plate is a personal plate which has less digits. The are no rules governing the overall size of the actual plate, just the size of the lettering, the spacing and the margins around the lettering. So if you could afford to purchase a personal registration of say A1 then your plates could be much shorter than a normal plate. Mind you that particular plate would cost a lot more than your car!

Ive got a set of the Dubmiester pressed plates which IMO look the muts nuts.

Yes Dubmeister are able to supply UK legal plates using the correct lettering, spacing, margins etc. The only real difference is that they are made from aluminium rather than perspex.

Fair enough

Simple

exactly what i did with my cooper s.. worked everytime :thumbsup:

There a facelift S3 by me blacked out, black wheels, tints and grill and the private number plates black aswell. And i've seen him driving around with the plate like that since back in April.

exactly what i did with my cooper s.. worked everytime :thumbsup:

Should work OK... unless you get a copper in a very bad mood!! Then he will just book you for driving with illegal plates.

I know someone who was stopped by a patrol car for speeding. They booked him for the speeding and also for not displaying an up-to-date tax disk, even he had one in the glovebox. The copper said the law says you must 'display' a correct up-to-date tax disk no just have one. A bit harsh though.

I wonder, in German, do they aspire to have UK plates? lol

Not so I've noticed! In fact all I've been asked so far is why are they different colours front and rear? To which I had no answer...seems pretty stupid now I think about it. Anyone know why? :uhm:

Even if they did aspire to have British-style plates, they couldn't have them. Your tax and inspection stickers are on the number plates and you have to get them from government-licensed outlets, so you can't get anything illegal anyway. They are a bit more flexible about plate and font sizes though I've noticed

Last edited:
I wonder, in German, do they aspire to have UK plates? lol

No way. The German police would soon stop them. In Germany you cannot just go to a shop and purchase a set of number plates. They are issued to you by the local licensing authority and refer to you and not the car. The digits before the dots refer to where you live and if you move house you have to re-register in the new area. When they sell a car they remove the plates and put them on the new car, which is why you see second-hand cars on a garage forecourt with no number plates.

Audi allow German nationals to collect they car from the factory if they wish. They arrive carrying a set of number plates which are fitted to their new car whilst they have a tour of the factory and a free lunch before going to a special collection area at a specified time to be shown around their brand new Audi, which they then drive away in.

Not so I've noticed! In fact all I've been asked so far is why are they different colours front and rear? To which I had no answer...seems pretty stupid now I think about it. Anyone know why? :uhm:

Even if they did aspire to have British-style plates, they couldn't have them. Your tax and inspection stickers are on the number plates and you have to get them from government-licensed outlets, so you can't get anything illegal anyway. They are a bit more flexible about plate and font sizes though I've noticed

The idea was, when the reflective plates were introduced, to be able to see which was the front and which was the rear of the vehicle. Does a seem a little strange and as far as I know the UK is the only country that does this. Holland uses Yellow plates the same as ours but the have yellow front and rear and white on a towed item like a caravan. France also uses Yellow plates but I think they are changing the white. Most other European countries use white but sometimes the colour of they lettering changes for various reasons. In Germany, if the lettering is green, it means the vehicle can only be used in it's own local area. You often see this on farm tractors for example.

As far as font etc is concerned the only difference is in the age of the plate. Older ones use one font and newer ones use a different font. Also because the plates are issued by the licensing authority they will issue plates which have dates on them whereby you are only allowed to use the vehicle for say 6 months a year. This is often used by people who only use a sports car or motorcycle during the summer. With these you pay a lower rate of road tax.

They also allow a certain amount of personalisation with the plates, providing it's fits in with the basics of where you live. For example I remember seeing a plate S:EX 69 on a Porsche near Stuttgart (S for Stuttgart - F for Frankfurt - B for Berlin etc and COC for Cochem in the Mosel!!)

Last edited:
The idea was, when the reflective plates were introduced, to be able to see which was the front and which was the rear of the vehicle. Does a seem a little strange

As far as font etc is concerned the only difference is in the age of the plate. Older ones use one font and newer ones use a different font.

They also allow a certain amount of personalisation with the plates, providing it's fits in with the basics of where you live. For example I remember seeing a plate S:EX 69 on a Porsche near Stuttgart (S for Stuttgart - F for Frankfurt - B for Berlin etc and COC for Cochem in the Mosel!!)

It's very strange! Even if you can't tell which is the front and which is the back (and I don't think the Mk1 Boxster or the Mk3 MR2 were current when the plastic numberplates were introduced) then it's usually red lights on the back and white at the front :faint:

They will do you a smaller font if you can prove you need it - basically your friendly TüV inspector can write you a note saying your car is a US or Japanese import requiring a smaller plate size and when you get your new diddy plates the font is diddier to match :hi:

I've seen some rude words :haha: like SHA:G, COC:K, FÜ:CK etc on numberplates. Unfortunately my area prefix is HD and you can't swear at anyone in any language starting with those letters :think: