Removing rear lights on Sportback is awful pain (DaveR can you assist!)

cdb2

Reaction score
Brake light needed replacing on Sportback today, what a pain and awful design!

Followed instructions in book but removing the light from the bodywork is difficult, no wonder they warn you in the manual you may damage the paintwork and should take it to a dealer!

Looked up the diagrams previously kindly posted by Dave Robinson and they show it on a 3 door which looks easier as the lights don't wrap around the side so much. On the Sportback they are shaped more and go around the side of the car and are held in place (in addition to the screw) by 2 tightly fitting nipples that need prizing loose which is very difficult.

Just wondering if Dave could post up whatever diagrams he has for Sportback removal of the rear brake lights as if they are different to what is in the manual it may help others.

I succeeded in the end without causing any damage, however is not very easy so don't attempt if you are short tempered or it is very cold out! :)

Couldn't agree with you more, I remember attempting to remove my rear light once. I stopped in the end as couldn't get it off and was afraid I'd break it!

Brake light needed replacing on Sportback today, what a pain and awful design!

Followed instructions in book but removing the light from the bodywork is difficult, no wonder they warn you in the manual you may damage the paintwork and should take it to a dealer!

Looked up the diagrams previously kindly posted by Dave Robinson and they show it on a 3 door which looks easier as the lights don't wrap around the side so much. On the Sportback they are shaped more and go around the side of the car and are held in place (in addition to the screw) by 2 tightly fitting nipples that need prizing loose which is very difficult.

Just wondering if Dave could post up whatever diagrams he has for Sportback removal of the rear brake lights as if they are different to what is in the manual it may help others.

I succeeded in the end without causing any damage, however is not very easy so don't attempt if you are short tempered or it is very cold out! :)

Happy to oblige...

rear lights - Sportback - exploded view

rear lights - Sportback - remove

If you need anything else just let me know.

Thanks Dave, interesting to see the Sportback exploded view, this is not in the handbook.

The issue is with item 3, the clip nuts. When you have undone item 5 the cap nut, the 2 clip nuts don't easily pop out of their holes as they are 'around the corner' on the body work (they are essentially like plastic pop rivets, pop in and out but are very tight!). I covered mine with Vaseline when I put it all back together so hopefully if I have to do it again, they might pop out easier! Here's hoping I don't!

The tightening to 3.5 Nm for the cap nut is interesting, don't have a torque wrench with screw driver fitting so have no idea how tight that is, hopefully haven't over-tightened! Any view on the tightening anyone?

If anyone finds a sure fire way of getting these nuts to pop out do let us know as those of us who have tried and eventually done it would be interested to know! :)

yeah i snapped one off mine get them out there a naff design i got fed up and just ripped em out when you put em back though they still tighten fine onto the car and are solid im not sure why there that hard to pop out they dont even need to be there there should be just two bolts

Alright guys. I have a 2005 sportback and i want to upgrade the rear lights to the new 2009 rear lights. The diagram below shows how to remove one of the rear lights but foes any one know how to remove the lights on the rear boot?

I admit it wasnt easy and took me a good 20mins to figure out how to take the lights out, I didnt bother with looking in the manual maybe i should have :p

Alright guys. I have a 2005 sportback and i want to upgrade the rear lights to the new 2009 rear lights. The diagram below shows how to remove one of the rear lights but foes any one know how to remove the lights on the rear boot?

Should be in the owners manual, there is a nut on the inside of the boot which you uncrew to release the light , but these might help....

rear lights - sportback - exploded view 1
rear lights - sportback 1
rear lights - sportback - exploded view 2
rear lights - sportback 2
rear lights - sportback 3

Last edited:
I've had a sidelight bulb out for about 6 months, and a brakelight gone for 3. Poxy, hateful design. :no:

I have a good car, but I've totally lost any love I might have had for it due to it being constructed in such a way as to maximise hours in the dealer, for even the simplest little job. I remember being amazed when I read on here the easiest way to change a front indicator bulb was to take the wheel and arch-liner off :wtf:

The bulbs are still broken because I refuse to a) pay the stealer to do it, and b) spend an hour changing a ****** bulb.

Audi, and VAG in general, can f**k off. Greedy b******s. :whip:

I just installed the outer tails and it took 10 min each side. I have a 2009 and the grommets are new and likely malleable. After removing the screw, I pulled slightly on the inner portion and then grabbed the middle and it pulled straight out without any problem. Perhaps, lubricating the plugs prior to removal. Just my 0.02

I had to change mine today, it just popped straight out:confused:

The popper things were fully engaged, I don't know what all the fuss is about.

After 5 pulls by Der Polizei, I got on and changed mine. Only broke 1 of the little knobbles, amazing :happy:

Front sidelight bulb change? Puh-lease! Next owner can do it :whistle2:

Audi, and VAG in general, can f**k off. Greedy b******s. :whip:

In their defence, I had a break light changed for nothing on my last service though it was probably an easier job to do on my car than on a A3 Sportback...

I should ****** well think so too! :beee: I suppose I should be fair...they always wash the car for me and use a moderate grade of sweeping brush as opposed to the one they use to sweep up the yard :friends: