AH FabricationsEM Tuning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    6th Gear

Status

OEM Xenon Headlights

Managed to pick some mint condition ones up off ebay for cheap, is there anything i need to change to fit them to my 2004? I know the headlights are a straight swap but do i need to change any modules or anything?

Help appreciated

2. # ADS
    ADS

Quote Originally Posted by smudge_don View Post
    Managed to pick some mint condition ones up off ebay for cheap, is there anything i need to change to fit them to my 2004? I know the headlights are a straight swap but do i need to change any modules or anything?

Help appreciated
    To be legal you also need auto-leveling and headlamp washers.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

5th Gear

Status
    Are they a straight swop? I always thought the connectors were different.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    To be legal you also need auto-leveling and headlamp washers.
    i thought if the headlights were projector (which i assume they are) then you didnt need the washers

not sure about the auto leveling...how do you get this?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Issac Hunt View Post
    Are they a straight swop? I always thought the connectors were different.
    looks the same to me

5th Gear

Status
    looks the same to me
    If they are the same then its odd that Kufatec sell an adapter

http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_i...-8P-Sport.html

They also do kits to add auto-levelling.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

6th Gear

Status
    i thought if the headlights were projector (which i assume they are) then you didnt need the washers

not sure about the auto leveling...how do you get this?
    H5djr is right, they need washers & connected to a self leveling system. Right now its just a road traffic offense but they are planning to introduce it into the MOT test too.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

Neutral

Status
    but... if you get Kufatec's headlights/autolevelling kit, is it a straight swap then? Does it include the ballast? And how are the MOT guys going to know that your headlights didn't come as standard with your car given that 90% of cars out there don't have the washers?

6th Gear

Status
    I dont believe it will be a straight swap, the wiring will need to be altered too with the inclusion of the new xenon headlight module & altered light switch etc.

Access to Elsawin would be handy for the wiring diagrams - you can compare the wiring & change accordingly

ALL cars fitted with xenons when built are fitted with headlight washers (they need to be by law) so if they are missing it will be instant fail.

As xenon lights auto level/calibrate when swiched on, this will be checked to see the operation functions correctly. I'd also imagine that there will be a check on the light switch to see if it has the ability to alter the hight manually thus also failing.

My understanding is if your retro fitting xenons then either do it 100% or be prepared to have to swap your old halogen lights back in for its MOT.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

1st Gear

Status
    Can you get away with putting halogen bulbs back in for the MOT, or will they not fit the Xenon casing?

I thought this would be how projector lights work, with xenon appearance and technology but standard halogen type bulbs?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Uh no, given power supply & fitment etc, dont even try as you'll possibly cause damage.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    I see.

Big LOL, cause seems the only way to have Xenons is to buy a vehicle with them on, of which there's about 3 round the whole country on autotrader every week. Usually crap spec or high miles too

Retrofit seems a migrane and a re-mortgage of house to do it legally.

I called Auto-tec in Northampton last week to ask about retrofit of headlight washers, to which the bloke who answered didn't even know they were a legal requirement with Xenons/Bi-Xenons and didn't want to get involved. I was prepared to spend 1500 upwards too, I genuinely like them that much on my current car. I think that was point I decided to give up on this whole mission, clearly not worth investing time or money.

Quote Originally Posted by rdfcpete View Post
    I see.

Big LOL, cause seems the only way to have Xenons is to buy a vehicle with them on, of which there's about 3 round the whole country on autotrader every week. Usually crap spec or high miles too

I called Auto-tec in Northampton last week to ask about retrofit of headlight washers, to which the bloke who answered didn't even know they were a legal requirement with Xenons/Bi-Xenons and didn't want to get involved. I was prepared to spend 1500 upwards too, I genuinely like them that much on my current car. I think that was point I decided to give up on this whole mission, clearly not worth investing time or money.
    Don't know what sort of A3 you're looking for but there will soom be one for sale at Huntingdon Audi. It's a 2007 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI-170 SE and it does have OEM Xenon lights. If you do want to know any more let me know as it's my current car that I'm trading-in.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rdfcpete View Post
    I see.

Only way to fit is to buy on a car already, not true & tbh cars with xenons usually have good spec's, I bought my a3 with xenons & had better spec than a poxy sline, but also I upgraded my xenons from single vision xenons to bixenon adaptives, which required number of changes & wiring adaptions & additions, its not easy but who said it would be, but one things for sure, its always worth having them, 100%, wont have car without, I've had xenons on last 3 cars, just so much better than halogens & if you have 1500 upwards for them should ave knocked on my door as I would do it all for yer, no worries.

5th Gear

Status
    How do you use the Kufatec site??
    Last edited by edition; 10th April 2009 at 12:36.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Your post relevance is exactly?

(●̮̮̃̃) (●̮̮̃̃)

Status
    is chicken 30 mins per lb + 20 mins?
    05 SB SE BKD

Build Thread

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Clowns are back in town

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    why .....

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Only way to fit is to buy on a car already, not true & tbh cars with xenons usually have good spec's, I bought my a3 with xenons & had better spec than a poxy sline, but also I upgraded my xenons from single vision xenons to bixenon adaptives, which required number of changes & wiring adaptions & additions, its not easy but who said it would be, but one things for sure, its always worth having them, 100%, wont have car without, I've had xenons on last 3 cars, just so much better than halogens & if you have 1500 upwards for them should ave knocked on my door as I would do it all for yer, no worries.
    You're right cause tbh I shouldv'e mentioned I have a budget of around 12k, Xenon'ed models are usually the 3.2 V6's and the 170 Sport Tdi's which exceed that, both of which are excellent cars, hence the price. I'm probably looking at a 2.0Tdi Sport or a 2.0TFSi, preferably quattro models. There's some out there with sub 50k miles, just never with Xenons.

If I could throw 2k at someone and get my car back a week later with Xenons + HL washers, I'd be over the moon tbh.
    You're saying you can do the headlamps themselves for a decent price?

And I agree totally fella, got them currently on my Clio, factory fitted and they're probably the best part on the car, with it being French obviously Hence why I don't want to be without them again.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Would have to price things up, but seriously man you could find at least an a3 with headlight washers on that dont have xenons, I have seen them for sure, this would save you money on bumper, pipes, pumps, wiring etc, I'd install for you but really would be a case of price up parts & find some lights aswell, by no means if you want headlight washers & auto levelling then its not cheap but 2k is a fair amount I guess if can find lights cheap, depends on the xenon type single vision or bixenon or bixenon adaptives.

1st Gear

Status
    Would have to price things up, but seriously man you could find at least an a3 with headlight washers on that dont have xenons, I have seen them for sure, this would save you money on bumper, pipes, pumps, wiring etc, I'd install for you but really would be a case of price up parts & find some lights aswell, by no means if you want headlight washers & auto levelling then its not cheap but 2k is a fair amount I guess if can find lights cheap, depends on the xenon type single vision or bixenon or bixenon adaptives.
    Indeed, been browsing for them with washers too. Is it part of the winter pack like on the Golfs? I think if I was going to, I'd want the Bi-Xenon kit.
    I'm seriously prepared to spend that much really, but that depends on getting a pair off of ebay I suppose.

5th Gear

Status
    Your post relevance is exactly?

Was that aimed at me?

6th Gear

Status
    all fitted yesterday love them, just going to uprate the bulbs to a higher temp colour at some point

thanks to NHN for his phone support, even if you did laugh at me when i got wet

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by edition View Post
    Was that aimed at me?
    Yeah not nastily just coudnt understand what the post was for, was it a request for help?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    all fitted yesterday love them, just going to uprate the bulbs to a higher temp colour at some point

thanks to NHN for his phone support, even if you did laugh at me when i got wet
    lol, no worries J, still am laughing but I will take my hat of to you for your technical ingenuity for the torx headed bolts, impressive to say the least, ***** of a job I know but the end defines the means, think thats the phrase I was looking for anyway, lol

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    i have xenons in my car ive got a question if someone can help ps...... nhn .. but not the xenon its self but the other light next to it there a poo colour when i have daytime running on in the day they just look naf i want some white bulbs that look a bit like the xenons so they look more modern can anyone recomend some bulbs and are they easy to fit how much are they etc.......
    Last edited by 10blazin; 11th April 2009 at 20:48.

I think you will some details of bulbs that others members have purchased as part of a group buy at this loacation...

PIAA Bulbs Group Buy - Interested List
    Dave R (h5djr)

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 10blazin View Post
    i have xenons in my car ive got a question if someone can help ps...... nhn .. but not the xenon its self but the other light next to it there a poo colour when i have daytime running on in the day they just look naf i want some white bulbs that look a bit like the xenons so they look more modern can anyone recomend some bulbs and are they easy to fit how much are they etc.......
    a few on RS246 are fitting LED's, I believe its fairly easy to do
    www.SubZerosystems.co.uk - IT Consultancy

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    Thanks for that dave they look much better on that thread gona look into getting a set........

Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I think you will some details of bulbs that others members have purchased as part of a group buy at this loacation...

PIAA Bulbs Group Buy - Interested List

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    WHATS RS26 PAL and what do the leds look like ???
    do you have a link please mate ......

Quote Originally Posted by klauster View Post
    a few on RS246 are fitting LED's, I believe its fairly easy to do

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 10blazin View Post
    WHATS RS26 PAL and what do the leds look like ???
    do you have a link please mate ......
    Try this: http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=...hlight=led+drl
    MY2011 A1 TDI Sport
    Amalfi White, Sat Nav, Bose, Xenon Plus, Climate Control, Competition Line Trim, LED Interior Lights, Light & Rain Sensors, Polygon 18" Wheels. Retrofit Armrest, Cruise Control & Gauge Sweep. VCDS.

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    thanks for that mate..............

Quote Originally Posted by JST_A3 View Post

1st Gear

Status
    What about some projector headlamps that don't have the damn angel eyes or halos on?

Can only find them with the angels/halos on and they'd look ridiculous on anything other than a BMW. Is there a method to wire them in so they don't have the angel eye sidelights, but just the dipped beam projector lamps illuminated?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    For me it would be a no, but each to there own

1st Gear

Status
    Hmmm indeed, I understand they're nowhere near the quality of genuine Audi Part Bi-Xenons, but just thinking outside the box for an alternative really.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    TBH I wouldnt consider them an alternative & given mot tests, would the sphere's cause issues then aswell, I mean they're what 200 anyway without any xenon facility, so extra money aswell, all adds up & when done would be near the xenon headlight costs, 2nd user of course.

1st Gear

Status
    Ok, thanks for the info.

So start to finish, could be done for 2000?
    How long is the car required for, 3 days at least I'd imagine?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    depends on if we can get the headlights for good price & what type you want. also bumper etc etc.

1st Gear

Status
    In essence; Bi-Xenons, straight forward washers and 05/06 S-Line bumper - Feasible?

Was thinking if I just purchased a Quattro TDi with Xenons, could fit the S-Line kit with bits I find on ebay/salvage/the forum once painted, obviously provided the front bumper has the gaps for HLW.

I would hope 2k would more than cover that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast