Dolpin grey S3-08reg..

CJ92

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,i have just sold my Edition30 and have been looking at pre-facelift S3's as my next car.I would appreciate any advice/comments you may have.Tomorrow i am going to see a dolphin grey S3 registered in March 08 with only delivery miles on it.It dosn't have the fbsw but has the following spec:Front centre armrest,cruise,electric lumber support,rear acoustic parking,auto lights.Interior is Black nappa leather.Thanks in advance..:search:

Has it been sat in a showroom for 11 months?

Just make sure you check the warranty, you will be down to 2 years on that now its been sitting around. If its at an Audi Dealer, ask them to add a year on as part fo the deal.

If its at another type of dealer, check its not an import as some of these only come with 2 year warranty to start with.

it doesn't have the best selection of options on it, possibly why nobody has bought it. May be harder to shift privately down the line.

How much is it up for?

Try and get a facelift if you can afford it, FBMFW is standard and does make the car a bit more special in my opinion.

Mark

Try and get a facelift if you can afford it, FBMFW is standard and does make the car a bit more special in my opinion.

Mark

I agree. And nothing wrong with Meteor grey!
3294356619_4bd770eb68.jpg

IMO the FBMFSW is a MUST.
But so is buying an S3.:)

Its the ideal step from a MKV Golf.:respekt:
I did it and its a good move.

Good luck
Paul

There is an 08 plt. S3 in grey at Huddersfield Audi, fairly basic spec though .... £23k

There is an 08 plt. S3 in grey at Huddersfield Audi, fairly basic spec though .... £23k

Wanna buy mine ?? I am in negotiations for a RS4 and maybe better to sell private, not 100% sure yet but it's a maybe.
PM me if your interested.

Mark

Thanks for the reply guys and some good points made.The car was at Brighton Audi but i will be going to see it at Eastbourne Audi.They have it up at £23,495.I was thinking of asking them to fit the FBMFSW as part of the deal and as Lee-R suggests getting them to extend the warranty.I know Dolphin grey is discontinued on the facelift but its a colour i have always liked.My last three Golfs have all been black!I dont know where it has been sat for the last year but will find out tomorrow.I am happy to go with the pre-facelift and am fairly ok with the spec.I notice a few 08 S3's have appeared on the used Audi locator site..

i would wait for the facelifts to drop in price just think 6-7 months time their all be around 23-25k mark. You can get a basic no option model for 23.5k

You bought a bmw & you're happy, lol, just kidding.

Just thought i would update you all on my search..:happy:

no offense, but the 1 series is in a different league to an S3, and I mean that in a bad way!

If your happy great, but I can't understand anyone that picks a 1 series over an S3... I always assumed when I see people in 1 series, they mustn't be aware of the S3 :sorry:

GOT TO AGREE WITH YOU THERE THATS ONE UGLY CAR THE FRONT IS HORRIBLE

no offense, but the 1 series is in a different league to an S3, and I mean that in a bad way!

If your happy great, but I can't understand anyone that picks a 1 series over an S3... I always assumed when I see people in 1 series, they mustn't be aware of the S3 :sorry:

I have to admit, come on the forum about an S3 then go way of that & get a 1 series, I just dont see the logic, not thats its for me to see anyway or my business but that over the S3, that simply doesnt compute, really doesnt mate, but if you're happy then fine, but seriously what went wrong between looking at S3 & then now, lol

The 1 series may not be the best looking car around but it's ****** good to drive.

Ditto the above. BMW do have some great cars out there right now, but the one series aint one of them. The interior is cheap and the looks are of the kind that only a mother could love. I drove a 130i and the performance/grip wasn't in the same league as an S3. Then there's the 135i? I drove one of those too, it was a lot better and looks wise, mush better than the hatch back... but then there's the TTS coupe and again, no competition on that score either. I don't get it either to be honest - S3 or 130i? That must be one of the easiest decisions you could ever make in life:whistle2:

Well I've just sold my 130 complete with lots of BMW performance goodies and bought another S3 but for no other reason than I needed some extra doors.

The 1 series is no looker but the fun you can have on track is amazing, the soundtrack from the engine is a different league to the S3 and even the economy from its 6 cylinder 3 litre 261 bhp petrol far better than I ever got from my first S3.

I don't think you should be so quick to judge unless you have either owned or driven both cars extensively, the S3 you can drive fast right away the 130 has a steeper learning curve.

The 135i will blow the S3 away and make you smile more in the process, but I will concede on looks and interior trim.

Don't get me wrong guys I'm chuffed to be back in an S3 but don't be so quick to judge.

Spin

As good as the 1 series hatchback is, it's pig ugly. Not so much the coupe or the cabrio, but the hatchback version is just like Old Mother Hubbards Shoe in profile. There is no need for something so expensive to look so hideous. There is being different to stand out from the crowd, then there is just plain bad design, and in my eyes the 1 series hatch is the latter. BMW have always had the mechanical/engineering edge, but just lack a certain something in the design concepts vs. Audi.

The 3 series coupe by comparison is a good looking car (as long as they don't go and put those huge kidney shaped nostrils on it that have featured on the new 6/7 series), and I agree the 135/335 cars would be the quicker car. Horses for courses as you say, but only a car you could ever value for substance over appearance.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, I never really fell for the looks big time but in 3 door, and to my eyes it looked pretty good.

I never really liked the 5 door hence the decision to look for another S3 but in SB mode, again not as good looking as the 3 door but with a 2 year old it makes life far easier, plus it was a great deal.

I had a scratch that I had to itch and I have no regrets the car was fantastic fun and I sold it 6 months later for more money than I paid for it privately, admittedly after raiding the BMW Performance parts catologue.

1SERIESBEDFORD2.jpg

1SERIESBEDFORD3.jpg

forget looks, and even forget the engines and the drive... what about the simple fact the 1 series are just too small and pokey inside. The trim and cabin is boring, and cramped and I'm no fat giant.

I actually like most BMW's.. but the 1 series doesn't fit into the range, everytime I see one it makes me laugh, a simple case of badge snobbery over function imho.

And before anyone says what about Audi badge snobbery... well no one can deny the fact that Audi cabins are up there as a nice place to be, and the styling of the A3 out shines a 1 series, so there is 2 reasons to own one right there!

Got 3 words for you Quattro girls...REAR WHEEL DRIVE :yahoo:

It might well look like a shoe (it does) and have a crap pokey interior (true) but you can't beat steering wheels with no drive going through them.

Fwd and 4wd cars just feel horrible through the wheel (to me, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION) *ducks*

:Flush:

It might well look like a shoe (it does) and have a crap pokey interior (true) but you can't beat steering wheels with no drive going through them.

lmao looks like a shoe, good one, but you're a sadist, lol, get back in your toilet so I can use it & flush :asskicking: lol

DVD's?

I understand the fact its a 'drivers' car being rear wheel drive, but that still doesnt excuse its poor styling, poor interior and poor cramped cabin.

And in this country, I'd rather have quattro as it lets you get the power down every day of the year regardless of weather!

And in this country, I'd rather have quattro as it lets you get the power down every day of the year regardless of weather!

You can get the power down in a rear-wheel drive car in poor weather as well...someone wise here (not me) said the accelerator is not an on/off switch :laugh:

Or forgetting that, if you can't see where you're going in a rear-drive car, look out of one of the side windows, job done :lmfao:

So what I can make out is that the only reason you would buy a powerful 1 series would be for:

1-Track days.
2-Occasional public road sideways stuff.

I reckon that a tiny % of owners as most will have these as daily drivers.

For me they is only one default choice for a uber hatch.:s3addict:

cheers
Paul

I buy the car for everything, the 1 series doesnt tick alot of boxes, look, styling, interior, its just ugly & not worth the money, but I will concede I havnt driven one so I cant say about the driveability of the car, but based on 2-3 of these unticked boxes I wouldnt even bother, cause its like I'd walk out each day & see it & think IMHO ugly as hell & do I wear it or drive it, its like the "women who lived in a shoe" lol

tzun686l.jpg

Whenever I walk to my A3 I always think to myself "hmm, nice looking car you got there, Mr man" (yes, still admiring it after 6+ months) and when I sit in it with the dash all lit up like an aeroplane I think "mmm, this is cosy, and feels posh"....so I'm happy so far...but when I give it some down a twisty road the front end goes this way and that and just feels a bit dangerous to me, then I think "This is gay, I wish BMW made cars that look like this, or Audis were rear-wheel drive"

I knew I'd feel like this before I even bought the car. Sometimes, when it annoys me (frequently) I really want to chop it in as a deposit for a 3-litre "shoe" :laugh:...but 'tis a good car

What the hell is FBMFW?

Flat Bottomed Multi Function Steering Wheel

To me the BMW 1 series hatch is a bit like a woman who is not gifted in the looks or figure department. She might go like a train, but you wouldn't want anyone to see you having a go in it.