80 watt bulbs...guys ????

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Just wanted to KNOW can 80 watt bulbs be used in the a3 without any issues........or is this asking for trouble?????
would of fitted hid's but dont want risk wiper motor.

Should be ok, even if it is illegal.
I used to run 100W bulbs in all my cars, when headlights were more generally crap than they are now.
Can't see the alternator struggling to cope, unless you already have every electrical extra in the Audi catalogue fitted.

Just wanted to KNOW can 80 watt bulbs be used in the a3 without any issues........or is this asking for trouble?????
would of fitted hid's but dont want risk wiper motor.

Personally I would go for the higher output 55w bulbs. I have used 80w bulbs in the past. They are illegal to use on the road and do not tend to last very long as they get very very hot. They may well do some damage to the front headlight lens as nearly all are now plastic rather than glass. I've never tried the 80w ones in an Audi so I don't know how they will affect the Auto-Check system, but I have use the high-output 55w bulbs and they do make a big difference to the headlights but also do not cause any problems for the Auto-Check.

Bump - has anyone got a proper answer to whether this will blow the wiper motor or cause damage to any components of the electrical system ?

Cheers

Should be ok, even if it is illegal.
I used to run 100W bulbs in all my cars, when headlights were more generally crap than they are now.
Can't see the alternator struggling to cope, unless you already have every electrical extra in the Audi catalogue fitted.

i used them on my 8L A3 but they kept blowing all the time.
They don't like getting too hot.

This is illegal not because the law think its a good idea, but because you will most certainly dazzle oncoming road users, 80w is more than 50% more power than was intended.
I really think that its a very selfish opinion of people who discuss adding this sort of thing to their cars, if you need more light when you're driving at night then your either going too fast or you have poor eyesight.

I have adaptive xenon's on my car and I find they point down to the road more than I would like, but I rarely have to use my full beam because I drive within the limits of the road and my ability.
If you feel you need rally-stage lighting on your car then maybe that's where you should be, and not on the the road.

Just think about the guy driving his kids home late at night and you with your 80w bulbs come dazzling down the road the other way and blind him, not a nice thought when you imagine what the consequences could be.

FYI

The RING SPORTZ BLUE H4 100w high wattage headlight bulbs are designed to produce a high-powered intense beam of light that has the stylish Ring Sportz Blue tint. Due to the extreme light output of these H4 100w high wattage headlight bulbs they are not street legal, however the Ring Sportz Blue range of bulbs makes an excellent choice for sport and rally drivers looking for a distinctive and powerful H4 100w headlight bulbs.
KEY FEATURES
  • Ring Sportz Blue H4 100w high wattage bulbs producing a powerful and distinctive beam output
  • Stylish Ring Sportz Blue tint
  • Ideal for high performance sport and rally drivers
  • All Ring Sportz Blue high wattage headlight bulbs are UV protected making them suitable for use in headlights with plastic lenses
  • H4 Bulbs rated at 12v/(100/80w)
  • Sold as a pair
  • Ring Sportz Blue bulbs are sold for off road and show use only
http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/ring-sportz-blue-h4-100w-high-wattage-headlight-bulbs-p-228.html

The blue range of the spectrum is also not good for the eye to focus, have a look here.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/images/BadBlueBulbs.pdf

This is illegal not because the law think its a good idea, but because you will most certainly dazzle oncoming road users, 80w is more than 50% more power than was intended.
I really think that its a very selfish opinion of people who discuss adding this sort of thing to their cars, if you need more light when you're driving at night then your either going too fast or you have poor eyesight.

I have adaptive xenon's on my car and I find they point down to the road more than I would like, but I rarely have to use my full beam because I drive within the limits of the road and my ability.
If you feel you need rally-stage lighting on your car then maybe that's where you should be, and not on the the road.

Just think about the guy driving his kids home late at night and you with your 80w bulbs come dazzling down the road the other way and blind him, not a nice thought when you imagine what the consequences could be.

So they still dazzle...?

i thought they wouldnt as their not hids...

My uncle had some extra bright bulbs on his vectra and they didnt dazzle at all - were a lot brighter than standard but not dazzling for other road users.

Guess got to keep my eye out for oem xenons and autoleveling bits !

Great, someone else on the road who wants to burn out my retina

Great, someone else on the road who wants to burn out my retina

Err - if you bothered to read the thread (or even my last post) you would realise that dazzling other road users is something i "dont" want to do.

And, if i did want to damage your eyes, i wouldnt do it from the lights on my car anyway.

no-one actually answered the question which was will they cause any adverse affect to the electronics. i was looking at these a while ago but stuck with the 55w ones, i do a lot of night time driving thru country roads and could do with a really good full beam!

no-one actually answered the question which was will they cause any adverse affect to the electronics. i was looking at these a while ago but stuck with the 55w ones, i do a lot of night time driving thru country roads and could do with a really good full beam!

Still reckon you'll get as much if not more and better light from some of the current high output 55w bulbs such as Osram Nightbreaker's or Philips X-Treme Power and that way there is no chance of it have any adverse effect on the electronics. I have used similar bulbs in the past and they did not effect the Auto-Check system in any way.

And you car will be legal as well.

yea true, but i have fitted some from phillips and i just found that the light is brighter, but doesnt create a wider/longer beam

if headlights are badly designed and the beam pattern is poor, then brighter bulbs are not likely to do much to improve it.